Hello Frides

This problem started for me since Sep 2012, on CS5 and CS6

• Windows 7 Ultimate
  • 64 GB Ram
  • Quad Core i7
  • ACR 7.3
  • ACR 6.2
  • Camera Canon 5D M2

The problem is when I preview my archive files it corrupt the as well; I can see the CR2 file using ACDsee Pro 5 but when I convert them to Tiff or JPEG it export the corrupted file.

The scary part is if I'm losing my archive CR2 files,

I can’t open these file in Canon Digital Photo Professional after they damaged with Adobe.

This evening I was working on a photo and export it as Tiff , when i change directory in Bridge the same CR2 file corrupted!!!!!

I delete the XMP file associated with the CR2 didn’t help, its look like when bridge try to update the thumbnail somehow it

I tested on my portable workstation

Lenovo w701ds

16 GB Ram / i7 QC / Window7 Pro

stil get this random problem.

CHecked the CF card / Card reader / all my cables  on both PC's

My problem is a software problem

PLEASE HELP!!!!!   SOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 07, 2013 Jan 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question pops up every so often.  It is curious to me that it is always CR2 images.  An internet search has one post from 2007.

Bridge does not write to files (from Adobe Engineer) so it is unlikely a Bridge problem.  One person found he had a bad card reader, another a bad mother board, still another had defective hard drive.  Here is a long thread on issue.  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/645620

Wish I had an answer but the threads on issue have pretty well beat the issue to death with no smoking gun pointing to any thing specific. 

Might use your utilities to check you HD for errors.

Good luck and let us know how you progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 08, 2013 Jan 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Y wrote:

This question pops up every so often.  It is curious to me that it is always CR2 images.  An internet search has one post from 2007.

Bridge does not write to files (from Adobe Engineer) so it is unlikely a Bridge problem. 

That 2007 post.may have been from me (July 2007).  I experienced a problem where data that should have been written to xmp file was being written to cr2 files.  Definitely a bug. This was in CS3.  Appeared to be a write conflict among multiple routines that write data into xmp files. Not sure erroneous write to cr2 was by Bridge or one of the other routines that write to xmp (File Info, ACR).  File Info was involved.  So far as I know this problem was fixed in CS4 and CS5.

That 2007 problem was different from the present problem reported in this thread.  Data that should have been saved in xmp was sometimes lost but cr2 raw data was not corrupted.

What helped then was to examine content of a written-to cr2 file and that cr2 file as it came from camera media card -- file data content, not only file dates.  That might help here if the OP has saved original cr2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rober

Problem is once a file is corrupted I can’t recover or undo what Adobe Bridge or ACR dose to it I lose the image, if I have the file on CF card and copy the file in another location its fine and no problem with CR2 but if I copy that file to the same location as corrupted file it goes bad.

I used deferent HDD and its  not bad sector problem on HDD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the same file in Canon Digital Photo Professional

the thumbnail is fine

CPP.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say:  Using Canon Photo Pro, everything is fine, the moment I preview the files with Adobe Bridge some of the files go bad and I can’t open and edit them in Canon Photo Pro anymore;  I can see the CR2 file using ACDsee Pro 5 but when I convert them to Tiff or JPEG it export the corrupted file.

Just opening them the Bridge and looking that the preview should not do anything to the file.  ACDsee and Canon Photo Pro may be a little more tolerant in the specs for viewing, but sounds like if you save image in another format it is corrupted.  To me this would signal that the original file is borderline damaged, and the act of opening it breaks it. 

Not a computer expert but my first suspect would be a faulty read/write head.  But if this happens on 2 different computers with 2 different hard drives that shoot that theory.  Or are you using the same drive connected to the 2 different computers?  If so shoot a few test shots with your camera and put it on the C drive of each machine and run through some tests to see how it behaves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2013 Jan 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since im a CPS member , I contact canon and got attached back, I did try his way and still getting random corrupted file

send the file to them and will update you as soon as hear anything back.

From Canon:

Thank you for your E-mail inquiry regarding the Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital

1. Camera.

For this concern Mohammad, please respond to this message confirming the

issue you're experiencing when reviewing the CR2/RAW file from your EOS 5D

Mark II on your PC.

I would also like to confirm if you are experiencing this issue when you

import your CR2/RAW image directly from the camera using the USB cable

provided, along with the EOS Utility application. Once the image is

imported, open the image using the Canon Digital Photo Professional

1. Does the issue remain?

I would also like to see a CR2/RAW image from your camera that  exhibits the

issue your experiencing. As the CR2/RAW image is too large for our email

server to accept, we will require you to upload the image to a file sharing

site of your preference (Eg. www.wikisend.com). While we don't recommend or

endorse a site for this task Mohammad, there are a number of free sites on

the internet for you to choose from. Once you've uploaded the image, please

respond to this message with a URL that I may use to retrieve the file.

Once I have this file and the requested information I will be in a better

position to assist you further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jan 21, 2013 Jan 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try his way and still getting random corrupted file

Good news as well as bad news.

It seems the problem is not Bridge related (good news for us fellow users) but likely to be found in your camera which is bad news. Hopefully a firmware update will solve your problem but we still are curious for the answer from Canon

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2013 Feb 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Camera is back from Canon,,Camera is Fine! CF Card is Fine ( I knew since Bridge was killing my archive files too, images from 5D and 20D )

The only explenation left is in my case Problem is in Bridge CS6 when creates/render thumbnail ( when you go to image dir and  image thumbnail are blurry the moment  bridge render them sharp) this process create the problem.

If I don’t use bridge to go ghtough my photos everything is fine!!

No Problem with CS5!!!!!

Fresh install OS / Windows / Adobe same problem......

I ended up using ACDSee Pro to brows and find photos to prevent corruption by Bridge and copy what I want to open in a deferent dir and open those directly from photoshop!!!

its pain in the .... but its better than losing my archive randomly !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 03, 2013 Feb 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At a loss on what to suggest, but am 100% convinced it is some conflict with your software/hardware.  Bridge does not write to images by just opening them.  In addition there are  thousands of Cannon users that use PS and Bridge, and you are the only one having problems.  Does not seem plasuable it is Bridge if no one else has problem.  I know this is frustrating and it may take some additional substitution to see what is really happening.  If you want to spend the time I would say install CS6 on the other computer (providing it is not exactly the same) and see if the errors go away.  You can deactivate the other CS6 version so you do not need to uninstall it.

With Nikon NEF images it was discovered that opening in NX viewer caused a conflict with the image becasue of the way it wrote to metadata.  Nikon changed it so the NX2 now works.  Perhaps something like that with the Cannon viewer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only other issue I can think of is the video card/driver.  If you were view the image in CS6 PS I would say this is the issue.  But you say once you view it then other programs can not view it without contamination either, so am at a loss here.

In Advanced preferences turning on "use software rendering" will help if the video card is underpowered.  CS6 puts more stress on video card than CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fresh install OS / Windows / Adobe same problem......

A fresh install without a proper uninstall and using clean tool to get rid of all old pref settings does not changes things. If you install CS6 without this it just keeps reverting to the old system preferences somewhere buried deep down in your PC.

Did you try a reset of the preferences for Bridge already?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brand new PC / windows 8 pro 64x, didn't fix the problem!

i'm on hold for 95 min for Adobe tech people to not helping me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2013 Mar 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had similar problems, but I suspected that it might be an issue with the operating system.

Because I tried to copy the file from SD/CF to overwrite the files saved on my harddisk, the replacing files might be ( I meant most of times) opened by Bridge, Photoshop or Canon DPP.  When I firstly entered the folder in Bridge, the thumbnails are mostly proper.  The application went thru the process of thumbnail/preview extraction.  Then, certain images (sometimes more, sometimes less) were seen.  Then, I would try and copy the files from the card to the harddisk again.  It seems that Bridge would not re-generate the thumbnail/preview.  I would go to DPP to open the file in Edit and Save it.  Then, purge the Cache of the selection file and check whether the thumbnail in Bridge could be updated.  This worked most of time, but it is annoying and time consuming.

In my memory, all of these files could be displayed and zoomed in by the cameras, so it does not seem that my cameras (5D2/5D3) had problem in writing the cards. (For Bridge, the thumbnail of the images are stored in the path of Cache specified by users.  To my understanding, DPP does not read the same place.  DPP prompted decoding error for the corrupted files.)

So, I tried using different card readers and worked across 2 desktop and 1 laptop.  This random problem did hit me.  I don't use Mac but Win XP/7.  I therefore suspected that the file transfer in high speed batch without verification of integrity might be the root cause.  Therefore, I am now trying to find a tool, similar to XCOPY in GUI to verify the result of file transfer.  Hope it helps.  If you guys have solution, kindly share with me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Mar 24, 2013 Mar 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my memory, all of these files could be displayed and zoomed in by the cameras, so it does not seem that my cameras (5D2/5D3) had problem in writing the cards. (For Bridge, the thumbnail of the images are stored in the path of Cache specified by users. To my understanding, DPP does not read the same place. DPP prompted decoding error for the corrupted files.)

I'm afraid you are confusing a view things here. Everything of the image you see on the camera display is from the jpeg preview that is generated for the RAW file itself (not the same as shooting RAW + Jpeg or jpeg alone, the RAW file is a bunch of data that has to go through a converter before you can make sense of it and to handle it in camera there is a jpeg preview needed).

All changes made in DPP have no effect on that same RAW file in ACR. Both have different approaches, processes and algorithms in their respective settings.

So opening a file in DPP opens with the default settings of DPP (either factory or customized by your self) and after you have made changes in DPP that same file starts from scratch in ACR default and vice versa.

The basic is the camera generated RAW file and from there on both (and others) converters using their own strategy without interaction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACR 7.3

ACR 6.2

Camera Canon 5D M2

The problem is when I preview my archive files it corrupt the as well; I can see the CR2 file using ACDsee Pro 5 but when I convert them to Tiff or JPEG it export the corrupted file.

The scary part is if I'm losing my archive CR2 files,

besides the answer Curt provided I still wonder your info. You state to have 2 ACR version and I presume you mean one for each version of PS? Yet to my knowledge the latest version of ACR 6 = 6.7. This makes me wonder if you have updated your PS and Bridge CS5 also because auto update does usual take care of the latest ACR plug in version.

And you mention ACDsee Pro 5 to export them to Tiff or Jpeg. I don't follow this workflow or do I misunderstand, why blaming Bridge while using ACDsee ?

And I agree with Curt that Bridge does not write to the CR2 files itself, only to a sidecar XMP file. So the first thing to look at would be your own workflow and set up, I know this is not what one wants to hear but that still seems more likely causing your problem.

And did you try Adobe Photodownloader from Bridge to download the files, inhere you have the option to also at the same go make a back up copy of the originals, a safe way to play because you have something to go back to.

Maybe you can describe your workflow in detail so we can understand this clearly?

How do you import the files, where do you store them, how do you handle those Raw files to the moment you convert them. How do you convert them?

And also provide version numbers of your software.

How did you check your CF card, reader and cables?

And finally, can you provide a screenshot of a corrupt file for better understanding?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt

Thanks I will check the link

Omke

I have 2 workstation one CS6 / ARC 7.3 and the other one is CS5 / ARC 6.2

I import the files using Card Reader

I havechecked them and use deferent reader with both workstationes

I open all the RAW files in ARC and select all of them to apply Lens correction   Done

Then I go through them and select individual files and tune them in ACR . OPEN

Edit in Photoshop

This problem occurs in both scenario befor opening the file in ACR  and preview only in Bridge

When I preview my archive it corrupt them as well, /  files that I used before and had no problem with. /

I tried these to find the problem:

1. I did try ACDsee PRO to check if I could recover the files that damaged by using Adobe it show the thumbnail and full screen preview fine but when I try to convert the output is bad.
  2. Using Canon Photo Pro, everything is fine, the moment I preview the files with Adobe Bridge some of the files go bad and I can’t open and edit them in Canon Photo Pro anymore

Bridge CS 6:  5.0.0399 x64

Bridge CS5:   4.1.0.54 x64

as a matter of fact I just reopen Bridge and it corrupted again here is the sample

_MG_4422.jpg

ACDSee preview of the CR2 File:

AcDsee.jpg

I need to find out how to recover the Corrrupted files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just try to open this file on third workstation

CS5.1 ACR 6.7  same problem, export from Acdsee is bad too.

here is the export from AcdSee

_MG_4422.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5.1 ACR 6.7 same problem, export from Acdsee is bad too.

I'm afraid that is not possible, at least not in an easy way to my knowledge. Once a file is corrupted I don't think it is possible to regain the original data again from that file.

Still not clear to me, do you experience this with CR2 files on CS5 and CS6 on both machines?

And have you tried reseting the preferences to default for Bridge as well as reset original setting for ACR?

Point is that it is not a common issue and the standard reply of a help desk is likely to be pointing at your system or personal settings, as I'm also trying to do I'm afraid...

I use Mac but Curt has more detailed info about Windows, I believe Robert also uses Windows, both can guide you better for prefs resetting.

Can you try to use Photodownloader and include the option for back up files and convert to DNG, to see if a DNG file also gets corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2013 May 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had exactly the same problem as described in this thread.  It suddenly started happening, but every .cr2 file in the folder became corrupt.  I seem to have cured the problem on my computer for the moment, so I am reporting my steps and logic even though I am not sure they are really a solution.

Background:  I shoot with a Canon 7D and have post-processed about two thousand pictures with Adobe Bridge/Adobe Camera Raw (AB/ACR) before the problem showed up.  I always keep a duplicate copy of my camera files, so the corruption never threatened my originals.  I always process from a special processing folder from duplicate copies of the raw files that are worth the attention.

I am aware that AB/ACR stores the 100% rendered image, I believe in cache, for quick retrieval at a later time.  I became concerned that the amount of cache being used as I processed more and more pictures might lead to the corruption in some unknown way.

What I did:  1)  I deleted all the duplicate and corrupted .cr2 file from my processing folder, leaving the folder empty.  2) I rebooted my computer.  3)  I opened AB in the empty processing folder.  4)  I  purged the cache using edit>preferences>cache>purge.  5)  I put fresh copies of the .cr2 files I wished to post-process into the processing folder.  6)  I have now post-processed about 100 images with AB/ACR since steps 1)-5) without any problems.

I have no idea if my approach will help anyone else, but you might give it a try and report on the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2013 Oct 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues. Shooting 1D mk lV; Mac Pro Dual Core Xeon, ATI Radeon HD 5770.

Bridge will randomly take the first image I open and corrupt it. It could be per set of images or just the first image of the day. This is usually not a problem as my first images are usually just test/set up shots. This morning it screwed me royally.

I edited a shoot last night and put my highlight images into a separate folder. I then did ACR corrections and ran a batch for logo'd sample images and sent them to the client.

This morning I start up my computer and open the highlight image folder, select the 5 highlights, click on 'open in camera raw' and they pop up and after 2 seconds the first image corrupts.

I have tried copying the image to other drives as well as to my Mac Pro laptop and it does the same thing every time. Purging cache for selection doesn't work.

Copying the original in finder to another drive doesn't work (this has worked in the past).

This has happened in the past and I did find a fix of deleting a certain file in the adobe library (and it recreates it). I did save the page where I found the fix but haven't been able to find it.

I have re-created the ACR cache as well as the Bridge caches. After recreating the caches and clicking 'purge cache for selection' it briefly pops back the original and then corrupts again.

I've tried increasing cache size and various cache options.

When I view the file in finder, the tiny thumbnail shows the correct image but the preview shows corrupted image.

If I view the image in Canon's Digital Photo Professional, it pops up for a second normally and then corrupts itself.

I'm guessing it's a deep cache issue...I have well over a million images that have passed through CS6. I regulary clean my caches but am I missing something somewhere???

Any suggestions from anyone???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JoernR wrote:

click on 'open in camera raw' and they pop up and after 2 seconds the first image corrupts.

After recreating the caches and clicking 'purge cache for selection' it briefly pops back the original and then corrupts again.

When I view the file in finder, the tiny thumbnail shows the correct image but the preview shows corrupted image.

All of the above point to the first view with the embedded thumbnail.  Then the ACR defaults "correct" the image to your preferences.  This is what you call corrupted image.  Somehow your default setting in ACR have changed.  You can check this by selecting one "corrupted" image and then clicking on Edit/develop setting/clear settings.  This will delete all ACR edits.  What does this do?

Besides you ACR defalult settings make sure there you don't have  auto color settings in edit/camera raw preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish it were that simple. I haven't made any changes to my default settings in ACR, and no other images are impacted. If I reset the image to camera raw defaults it resets the image in the background and even the colour cast in the corrupted portion changes (not sure if that's a hint??). If you look at the images in the top of this thread, mine are similar to the first image but about 80% of my images have the white lines/corruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 09, 2013 Oct 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Deep cache issue"? Never heard of it.

It sounds like your raw data is mangled before it even gets to Bridge.

When you browse raw files, you see the embedded previews contained within them. These previews are created by the camera at the time of capture, and they enable you to view the image on the camera monitor without having to process the raw data.

Similarly, when you view a raw file on a computer, Bridge, or most other software which can understand raw formats, will look for these previews as a much quicker alternative to actually decoding the raw data.

When enabled, Bridge uses Camera Raw to generate High Quality Thumbnails based on the actual raw data. These HQ thumbnails gradually replace the embedded preview thumbnails. If you are seing corruption at this stage, it is possible that you are just seeing the corrupted raw data for the first time.

If I was seeing this problem, I would look into the method for transferring the daw data from camera to computer. Possible problem spots are camera, memory cards, card readers/cables, computer interfaces, etc. A process of elimination should help narrow it down. Try a different memory card. Try the card in a different card reader/computer, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2013 Oct 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all of those and different versions/order of import, different drives and different cards. I just put the image back on the memory card and checked it in the camera and it views normally in the camera. I did try downloading it to a different hard drive directly from the camera...I was able to view the image for about 30 seconds before it corrupted. As I mentioned, for this particular image I actually did a full ACR edit and created a jpg from the RAW file yesterday.

When this happened about 6 months ago, after re-creating a file in the adobe library (unfortunately I can't remember where it was or what the file name was)...it stopped. I was actually able to go back to the corrupted images (4 out of 6) and view the corrupted images and edit them normally!

It just started again recently and I have 5 or 6 images that it's happened to. The first 5 corrupted as soon as I loaded them in ACR, this is the first one that corrupted after I edited it. I've tried opening them in iphoto and Canon DPP and they initially preview normally and then corrupt once they fully load the jpg preview.

It's frustrating as hell!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines