• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't see some pods in FrameMaker 11

Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2013 Feb 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm suddenly unable to see some of the pods in FrameMaker 11. For example, the Variables pod. I tried View > Pods > Variables, Window > Panels > Variables, and Special > Variables, but nothing shows up. What am I missing?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 04, 2013 Feb 04, 2013

No, I mean one of those Workspaces – top right corner – authoring, review, design, etc. – maybe the one you use has gotten corrupted?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try View > Menus > Complete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Complete" has a checkmark by it, still no Variables pod...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try picking another workspace?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meaning another document? I've opened and closed several documents and books, and restarted FM several times since noticing the problem last Thursday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I mean one of those Workspaces – top right corner – authoring, review, design, etc. – maybe the one you use has gotten corrupted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, interesting! Yes, if I switch to the Blank or Manage Graphics workspace, I can see the Variables pod, but not in the Authoring workspace. So I did a Reset Workspace, and can now see all the pods. Thank you, much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phew, I was running out of ideas as to what was going on </grin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 05, 2013 Apr 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I had the same problem with Framemaker 11. The Variables pod just disappeared and I cannot get it back.

I tried thee instructions too, but with no help.

I turned off my laptop and started Framemaker after that, but still no variables 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fianlly I got the variables back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be helpful to others who may encounter this situation if you let us know what you had to do to get the variables pod to display again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 09, 2016 Jun 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem in Framemaker 10.  I did all those you tried as well; but when I clicked "Reset Workspace" then fewer pods appeared on my right side!  I've restarted FM and my machine twice, and still no difference in my number of pods.  Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did selecting another workspace have any effect? Are you all patched up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your quick reply!

Yes, I’m using the latest version with all the patches.

My co-worker was able to restore the missing Panels by some keyboard shortcuts that I still can’t find online even by their shortcut, such as:

Ctrl+M Paragraph Designer

Ctrl+D Character Designer

Ctrl+T Table Designer

Would it be possible to get a complete list? The Panels that disappear on me most are the three CROSS-REFERENCE / SHOW/HIDE CONDITIONAL TEXT / FONTS Panels.

Thanks,

Guy

Guy Klages | Technical Writer | CyberSource InfoDev | gklages@visa.com<mailto:gklages@visa.com> | cell 419-855-2437 | M3-6593

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's the trick: when you access a command from a menu like Special > Cross-Reference the Cross Reference panel opens up. Most panels dock themselves to the panel group on the right, others may need to be pulled over and docked manually (like Edit > Find/Change).  Pick one of the default workspaces from the workspace menu at the top right corner of the FrameMaker window (Authoring, Design and Manage Graphics are three to consider as the starting point, depending on your workflow). Then add the extra panels that you use.

Here's how to access the specific panels you mentioned:

• Special > Cross-Reference
  • Special > Conditional Text > Show/Hide Conditional text
  • View > Pods > Fonts
  • Format > Paragraphs > Designer
  • Format > Character > Designer
  • Table > Format > Designer

As you use each feature, the appropriate panel opens. Once you have customized the toolbars, pods and panels the way you like to see them, go to the workspace list at the top right of the FrameMaker window, and choose New Workspace and save your custom workspace with an appropriate name. When I'm teaching new Fm students, we make a workspace called "Learning FrameMaker" shown below (though we collapse the pods at the bottom to get them out of the way until we need them):

VMware Fusionss_003.png

The perfect workspace is the one that has all of your everyday commands front and center, and removes the ones you never use. When panels "disappear"—which means that someone undocked them and then clicked the close box—just return to your workspace list and select Reset Workspace from the bottom of the list. Every panel that was there when you saved returns to the original position.

As for the second part of your question, here are the keyboard shortcuts: Adobe FrameMaker (2015 release) . Hold on to  your hat: there are more shortcuts here than most people ever want to know about. But for those of us who love keyboard shortcuts, it's a little slice of heaven.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My variables pod was there, but empty. I was going to import variables from our template, when I collapsed the book file and the variables displayed. With the book file expanded, no variables show within the pod, even when double-clicking on a variable. It's very disconcerting.

I guess I'll keep the book file collapsed until generating or manipulating files within it. It's odd though. Is it a bug or a feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines