• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What are the correct iphone 5 H.264 export settings?

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2013 Feb 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have scoured the internet for help trying to find the correct way in which to make a proper H.264 mp4 video file that will play on the iPhone 5. I am using Adobe Premiere CS 6. There exist presets for the iphone 4, but not the iphone 5. I tried the iphone 4 presets but they will not play on the iphone 5.

I tried checking Apple's iphone 5 video specs to make sure I am not over spec: https://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html, which says: Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;

Here is how I have my video export settings set up in Adobe Media Exporter and the multiplexer is set to iPod:

iOS_H.264.jpg

I've tried other slight variations, but nothing will play. I am hosting these videos on a site and just trying to access them from the URL bar such as: http://harbourak.us/videos/iOS_mp4.mp4. I cannot use m4v or mov formats because of the flash script that is used on other flash supporting browsers that can convert the mp4 quickly on the fly.

If anyone has any suggestions for how to get this to work I would be greatly appreciative! Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2013 Feb 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So to be clear: these videos are not to be downloaded to an iPhone 5 and played from the phone's memory, but instead will be viewed in the Safari browser (or another browser that works on the iPhone) using a URL similar to the link you gave?

If so, then you are approaching the export incorrectly.  You need to export to a format that is friendly to the web site and browser being used. 

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so what are the settings to make an H.264 mp4 that will play in Safari or Chrome on a iphone 5? Nothing I've tried so far has allowed me to get it to work, although I could play mp4s from the web previously with my iphone 3GS. It seems to me that if it can play in your video library on your phone then it's the same thing as downloading it to stream from the browser, because it's the same format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me that if it can play in your video library on your phone then it's the same thing as downloading it to stream from the browser, because it's the same format.

Nope.  On the one hand, the browser is the player, and on the other hand the phone's native built-in player is used.

As for settings, find one that works in a browser on your computer, and see if the iPhone 5 will play it from Safari or Chrome.  You can increase your chance of success if those browsers are also installed on your computer.

I've got a 4S, so if you can PM me a link to an uploaded video (with necessary username and password), I will see if it will play on my phone.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2013 Feb 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So yeah, there is no setting I can find that allows you to properly export your video in h.264 .mp4 that will play on the iphone from Adobe Premiere CS6. What is the point? I just don't get it. It's like secretly apple has decided to not allow any mp4 to be downloaded from the web and be played on the iphone, but then lie to everyone when they say on their spec page that the iphone will play mp4s that are 640x480, 30fps, AAC 48kHz, < 2.5Mbps. Ugh, I've exported so many different versions of .mp4s and for each and everyone the iphone says "sorry, broken play button image" and no explanation. So helpful! </sarc>

Okay, you want examples that work FINE in regular PC browsers? Well, I set up a dummy page with the HTML5 embed code here:

http://housemajority.org/wp-content/themes/candidate/video-test.php. Works fine in Safari for Mac & PC.

This currently has the 640x480, 30fps, AAC 48kHz, < 2.5Mbps h.264 codec .mp4. Plays fine in Safri on the PC or Mac but not the iphone. This file completely coorelates with Apple's spec sheet so I'm at a total loss. The actual file can be found here: http://housemajority.org/vids/iOS_30fps.mp4

Other video attempts:

/vids/iOS_preset.mp4 - 29.97 fps before changing to 30fps

/vids/iOS_mp4.mp4 - 720x480 before changing to 640x480. makes no sense

/vids/H264_w29.mp4 - another version of the 720x480 version.

/vids/iOS_converted.mp4 - tried using one of those "convert videos to iphone version" shareware apps that also doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2013 Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a problem with either Safari for iOS or iOS itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2013 Sep 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

these settings work great for me and my clients. i simply send (if the file is small enough) the MP4 as an email attachment and it plays right on the iPhone/iPad and can be saved to the Camera Roll, forwarded, etc.:

VIDEO

• H.264
  • NTSC
  • 568 x 320 pixels
  • 24 or 30 fps (i usually work in 24, and the file size will be a bit smaller)
  • Field Order: None (Progressive)
  • Square Pixels
  • Profile: Main
  • Level: 3.1
  • Bitrate Encoding: VBR, 1 Pass
  • Target Bitrate: 1
  • Max. Bitrate: 1.4
  • Key Frame: 30

AUDIO

• AAC
  • Stereo
  • 44.1 kHz
  • Audio Quality: High
  • Bitrate: 128

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines