• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating Help for multiple modules, multiple versions and multiple locales

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2013 Feb 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to put together a new help solution for a suite of applications. The problem I have is working out how to manage and publish the content. Would someone be able to offer any advice?

The software has:

• Multiple modules
  • Head office and site versions
  • UK and US locales
  • Multiple software versions to be supported

Previously I used WinHelp, regenerating the project 6 times per software version to provide all possible permutations.

I’d like to create a single hosted help solution with a simple home/landing page that allows users to enter a natural search term – the results provided would be drawn from the database or collection of available help topics and ranked for relevance to application/version/locale etc.

Obviously the right help must be displayed, and I don’t want every topic to be prefixed with: [uk | head office | Module name | v3.5].

I have RH9 (for html and word), but would upgrade if I needed to.

I have looked into using Webhelp, Airhelp and even Wordpress but still haven’t worked out the best way to do this. I understand that this is not a normal posting, but if anyone can point me towards any information that may help me I’d very much appreciate it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2013 Feb 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Content Categories could be a solution.

Each topic would have such variances as required. Content that is UK specific would be tagged UK, content that is US specific would be tagged US. A build expression would then direct the right content to the right output. The Employee Care sample project that ships with Rh shows how to set it up and how it works.

Your problem is going to be the sheer number of categories you are going to require, especially when you take multiple versions into account.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think build expressions are what I am looking for, but if I need to create a new conditional build tag for every variation (Locale/Installation/Version) it will be become rather unwieldy and since new software versions are released almost quarterly it will soon become challenging to manage.

Also, can I apply a build tag to an entire topic to include or exclude it from a build for whole topics that are UK or US specific?

From an authoring perspective I want to create a single help file, but I can’t have users scrolling through hundreds of possible help permutations to find the one they are looking for. Creating one help file will simplify the hosting of the webhelp too.

Is there a way I can create nested levels of conditional build tags, so I could create one help file and ask the user to:

• Select Locale from one drop down menu,
  • Select Installation from another and
  • Select Version from a third?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think build expressions are what I am looking for, but if I need to create a new conditional build tag for every variation (Locale/Installation/Version) it will be become rather unwieldy and since new software versions are released almost quarterly it will soon become challenging to manage.

OK, I am happy you picked up on that point. It will be challenging.

Sorry but your requirement is a complex output so too will be the solution.

Also, can I apply a build tag to an entire topic to include or exclude it from a build for whole topics that are UK or US specific?

Yes. Whole topics or content can be tagged. You can apply a topic tag to exclude it entirely from some categories and you can have content tags so that variants of the topic can be generated so that a topic could be excluded from US but for UK it could then vary according to version, for example.

From an authoring perspective I want to create a single help file, but I can’t have users scrolling through hundreds of possible help permutations to find the one they are looking for. Creating one help file will simplify the hosting of the webhelp too.

You cannot have sub categories so you would create a category for each permutation. I don't think that would amount to hundreds though.

Another approach would be similar tagging but using multiple layouts. With categories, your output would have a folder for each category and when a user selects what they want, the system goes to the chosen folder. If you created multiple layouts, you would have much the same folders but each one would be a standalone help system. It would be for your developers to install the right help for each user. Not as difficult as it might sound. For a start, the versions would be simple to hook up.

A lot of places stop updating help once either a new version is released or goes out of support.

The best advice I can give is cut down the permutations as much as you can.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2013 Feb 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your assistance.

I'll take a look at multiple layouts and categories - maybe by combining all these features I'll be able to come up with a solution that works. 

I think only supporting the newest version is the way to go, although I'm sure our many customers on older versions wouldn't agree!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they will not upgrade and their version is out of support, do you care?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know where you are coming from, but it kind of doesn't work like that with us.

I am not party to our service agreements, but as I understand it, all customers are on maintenance contracts, so we support them all (I think software upgrades are free.).  However, some don't want an upgrade because their system works exactly the way they need it to, so they have no incentive to upgrade.  Therin lies the complication!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If they are still paying then I do understand your dilemma. Good luck. Book some time with your therapist while you can.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp