• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where are the FrameMaker 10 dictionaries located?

Feb 06, 2013 Feb 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My FrameMaker 10 installation seems to be doing British English rather than American English. In the spelling checker, I do import dictionary, but can't find any! The dictionary directory on the DVD seems to contain invalid dictionaries.

So where are they hiding, and how do I install dictionaries for different languages?

The Adobe documentation http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FrameMaker/10.0/Using/WSEAAD5A3B-FC22-4c2a-BB76-16EC81643B34.html never says where to find the dictionaries. Only site.dict is in my dict directory.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double-check:
Format > Paragraphs > Designer > pick one of your tags, say Body

Properties: Default Font

Language: [ make sure it's US English and not UK English ]

If it is UKE, click in the margin (so no para type is selected), and in that same menu, with everything now set to As-Is or blank, select:

Language: [ US English ]

[ Update All ]

<*> Default Font Properties Only

<*> All Paragraphs and Catalog Entries

[ Update ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It says US English, but "centre" is accepted, and "center" is flagged as an error. I did the click outside everything ans selected US English. It says "no insertion point" but I continued and updated all. Still "center" is flagged as an error.

Surely the above link would do all of the paragraph formats at once. But my main question is there. I can't find any dictionaries to import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

The dictionaries are located in a Lingusitics folder common to Adobe installations. The exact location varies depending upon the O/S. However, you do not/cannot import any of these files - FM automatically uses the specified dictionary of the paratag or character tag containing the word in question. This allows you to mix languages in a single document.

You can tell FM to Learn a word for your Personal dictionary though via the SpellChecker.

FWIW, in my FM10 installations, both spellings are allowed with US English, whereas the UK English flags the "center" spelling.

Note: the message from FM about "no inserion point" indicates that you didn't do the global update correctly.

update_language.png

global_update_tags.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no linguistics directory anywhere in my installation.

And thanks a bunch for the update pics. I did do it wrong. And that fixed it. Colour is now flagged.

But the Adobe link I listed above is totally bogus apparently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Linguistics files can be found at any of these locations depending upon your operating system and installation location (typically drive C:, but can vary):

\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Linguistics

\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Adobe\Linguistics

\users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Linguistics

Please note, that messing with the files in these folders will cause FM to crash on start up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Says right in that help page that all dictionaries are installed for all the languages that are listed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, but elsewhere it says that only one dictionary for the language you specify is installed. And if you follow their instructions, the user (me) until Arnis's post below, has not a clue where they are to be found. The file chooser goes to the FrameMaker install location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you find that other mention in the help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, it was for FM 8. It is very confusing to not have the help installed locally because you must be very careful of the version number when you google.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you select the Help from within FM, it will take you to the correct online version for your installation.

FWIW, Adobe have been less than stellar in updating their documentation, so there are many omissions and older contnt in the newer releases. Adding comments to the online help pages where you have confusion or issues with that content will speed up the corrections/updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should have it installed locally as a customized AIRHelp file by default (at least that's what I found up to FM10 anyway - FM 11 seems to be all online for me)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines