Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Choppy Audio with HLS stream on iOS devices

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2013 Feb 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have an Adobe Media Server 5.0 on AWS. We publish a h264 video stream with MP3 audio format (Stereo, 44KHz, 128Kbps). When we play the HLS stream on iOS devices, the video is fine but the audio is choppy. What settings on AMS do we need to tweak to resolve this issue? I know that there's a solution for this because if we use the Internap services to publish the stream with the same settings, the video plays fine on iOS and audio is not chopping. I must mention that we don't want to use AAC audio codec.

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 07, 2013 Feb 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Apple recommends AAC/He-AAC audio codec for streaming to iOS devices or Mac machines. Could you please try to playback the same stream via HDS and check if the audio is still choppy?

Thanks,

Apurva

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2013 Feb 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The HDS stream played on Windows PC doesn't have audio issues. Also the HLS stream played in JWPlayer 6 on Windows PC doesn't have audio issues. The HLS stream audio is chopping only on iOS devices.

As I mentioned, when we use Internap to publish the stream with the same settings there are no issues with the audio played on iOS device although it's an MP3 format. They use FMS also to stream the content.

As for what Apple recommends, if you read this article, you can see that there are no issues with the MP3 format.

I used the MediaInfo tool to compare the video fragments produced by Internap's FMS and our AMS on AWS. In the image below you can see the Internap's informations on the Left side, and ours on the Right. I'm pretty much convinced that this has to do something with the AMS settings.

compare.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I the first one that has this issue? No one can help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 13, 2013 May 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meet this bug. Anyone can help me ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I too, am seeing this. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines