• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disconnected Pages Inserted when Converting from FrameMaker 9 to 11

Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There appears to be a bug in many of our documents when converting from Frame 9 to 11.

1. Inadvertently, there are disconnected pages that have been inserted into chapters, usually somewhere on the last few pages of a chapter. I know what disconnected pages are, and how they are inserted, but they are not in our Frame 9 docs. The disconnected pages only appeared after we converted to FrameMaker 11. I can tell they are disconnected because I see the dark black line at the bottom of the page and when I did CONTROL - A the flow stopped on the last or second to last page as if a disconnected page was inserted.
  2. Our Heading 1 is setup to start at the top of a new page and randomly does not now in FrameMaker 11. We never had this issue in Frame 9.
    We have reimported the paragraph styles from the template (that works) tried retagging, etc. but the Heading 1 will not go to a new page.
  3. If a file contains the #2 Heading 1 issue,  then the Special > Page Break does not work as well on that same file.

We have hundreds of docs we are currently working on and are seriously considering going back to 9 temporarily if there is a bug. Unfortunately we have already started to convert many of our docs up to Frame 11.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I was looking at MIF2go to perhaps remove what might be corrupted in our files if that is what is hapening but don't want to take the time and $$ to do that if we find out it may be a bug and not on our end.

I have been working in Frame since version 1 and have never seen anything like this happen, so that is why I am thinking it may be a bug in Frame 11 or in the conversion up to 11?

Thank you so much for your help.

Cynthia

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Arnis was able to look my files and determine that the master pages on my FrameMaker 9 template were disconnected in some cases. Once I fixed this and then uploaded the files to FrameMaker 11 they worked correctly. While I know these should have been connected and somewhere along the line became disconnected, they worked ok in 9 on the hundreds of documents we maintain. So something in 11 doesn't like the disconnected pages (just in case anyone else runs into this check you main flows on your ma

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried saving one of the files with the disconnected pages as MIF from FM9 and then opening that in FM11?

I haven't seen nor heard of this sort of issue with FM11 (yet) so it does seem rather odd. Is there anything complex about your document setups, i.e. more than one flow?

Are you using Master Page Mapping to apply some page layouts?

The Heading1's that do not start at the top of a page, are they showing as having overrides in the status bar (i.e. your paragraph definition for Heading1 is to start at the Top of Page, but now they show as Anywhere in the Designer)?

Can you please elaborate on #3 - Page Break not working as well? This is an override mechanism. So if this was used to format the layout and you imported formats from the template, you may have cleared these overrides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd follow Arnis's lead, but when moving from one FM file format to

another.... ALWAYS safe as MIF in the higher numbered version. That's

really the only way you can verify that stray characters and such are

removed by parsing process.

And MIF2GO is great for batch processing large numbers of files and

documents.

Art

Art Campbell

art.campbell@gmail.com

"... In my opinion, there's nothing in this world beats a '52 Vincent and

a redheaded girl." -- Richard Thompson

No disclaimers apply.

DoD 358

I support www.TheGrotonLine.com, hyperlocal news for Groton MA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2013 Feb 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Art:  thank you for your quick reply. I am waiting to test some new files when we see this again as we no longer have the version 9 files. I have never had to save in MIF when migrating upwards but we are willing to do this if it eliminates these issues.

Thanks for confirming that on MIF2GO its been atleast 10-15 years since I have used it. : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis: Thank you for your reply. Am waiting to find another culprit file to test saving as MIF before upgrading to 11.

Well good to know you have not heard of it then it forces us to dig deeper into the issue and not wait for a bug fix.

No just one flow and yes I looked for Page Mapping but we don't use that but I did check just to make sure. : )

The Heading1's still say top of page so that did not change but they just won't behave. Its very odd.

Well we thought ljust as a quick test, ets just insert a page break and see if that works and it did not.

In both files we found disconnected pages so I am now thinking that there is something goofy with disconnected pages that is making page breaks not work in paragraph styles. (I know the disconnected pages should not be in there : )) While that should not affect page breaks in other areas, we are going to test every file CONTROL A and make sure there are no breaks in the flow before we convert.

The main thing is that you have not heard of this so that is helpful so we are not waiting for a bug fix.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cynthiarudy wrote:

The Heading1's still say top of page so that did not change but they just won't behave. Its very odd.

Cynthia, can you explain a bit more by what you mean that they "don't behave"?

If you have a truly disconnected page, your content should be flowing around that page, i.e. adding more will skip the disconnected page.

Another way to test the conversion is to open both versions of FM. In FM11 use the FM9 file as a template (File > New) to get a "blank" document. In FM9, use the ctrl+A to select all in the flow and then copy & paste into the "new" FM11 document. There shouldn't be any disconnects that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the Heading 1s just stay in the middle of the page without going to a new page even though its still setup in the Paragraph Designer to go to a new page.

Thats a good idea to just put in a blank Frame doc not our template just a fresh start. We have over 200 docs so we are really hoping to figure out why some of our docs are corrupted. We have copied and pasted into a new chapter in our template and that does work and the disconnected pages go away, but again we just didn't want to rebuild all our 1000's of chapters.

I am working now to find another corrupted file so I can attach or make a screen shot. It may take a few days for this to happen again.

I really appreciate all your ideas and suggestions.

Cynthia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could also imagine another cause.

A year ago I copied accidentally the text frame of the main text flow on a certain page and pasted it right back.

It appeared as if there would be no change although there were two text frames with identical content on top of each other.

I had noticed that the text did not move.

You could test this, if you save your file and then delete the text frame of your disconnected page. If nothing happens, then you had two text frames on top of each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try that as well. Thank you. Its great to have all this support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2013 Feb 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis: Ok I have been able to find this issue again. Is there a way I can send you a file? I don't see an attach file here. It will show you all the issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cynthia,

I've sent you a private message with info on where to send the example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis where will I see your message in my email? Or someplace else? Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should get an email notification from the Forums that you have a new Private Message. You have to log in and go to the "Your Stuff" link near the top & right side of the banner. There's a link to the Private Messages there.

I've also just sent a direct email to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis was able to look my files and determine that the master pages on my FrameMaker 9 template were disconnected in some cases. Once I fixed this and then uploaded the files to FrameMaker 11 they worked correctly. While I know these should have been connected and somewhere along the line became disconnected, they worked ok in 9 on the hundreds of documents we maintain. So something in 11 doesn't like the disconnected pages (just in case anyone else runs into this check you main flows on your master pages to make sure they are linked). Thank you Arnis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just so it's not misunderstood that this had something to do with the Special > Add Disconnected Pages option, the template files had the Autoconnect setting turned off for the main flow on some Master Pages. That's why trying to force the Header1 to a new page was failing, since there was nothing to connect to, hence it couldn't jump to a new page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines