• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error when saving to / reading from root.fpj

Feb 13, 2013 Feb 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

we use RoboHelp HTML R9 and our project file is located on a network drive (which I know now, from reading the forum, is a very dangerous thing to to, but it was set up years ago).

For a few weeks now, when clicking 'save all' in the project, the following errors are displayed:

An error occurred while trying to save data to [...]root.fpj

An error occured while trying to read data from [...]root.fpj

When confirming them with OK, they pop up a few more times before the changes are finally saved.

We've already had problems with missing screenshots in the chm-file, could this be related to the root-error? Is there any way we can fix the root file without having to create a new project or moving it to a local drive? We tried deleting the root.fpj so that it would be newly created by RH, which was suggested in one thread, but this made matters worse as all contents were gone.

And does anyone already have experience with RH10 on networks? We are considering an upgrade as we have read that RH10 projects are stable on network drives.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to play Russian roulette, you have to accept the risks.

Root.fpj does not autoheal so no surprises there. You can manually recreate it.

I have run some projects over a network using Rh10. I experienced no problems other than the latency of the network. It is not going to be as quick as when the project is local. How much of a difference you will see is directly down to your network so no one can advise you on that. You need to download the trial to a non production machine.

If found the speed loss was not a major problem, most noticeable when generating projects with a few thousand files. No corruption occurred but with anything like this, your mileage may vary.

Running a project that was on an external USB 2 drive connected to my main machine which was then shared and accessed from a virtual machine worked but that was a bit slow, however that is a bit of an extreme test and at least it worked.

Your call.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your fast reply Peter,

I've read about the Russian roulette before in this forum Problem is that this is the environment that was set up and that we have to deal with now. We were not aware of these issues until recently so, yes, it's really our own fault.

How can we manually recreate root.fpj?

Regarding the problems with speed loss on networks, I can't imagine RH10 being even slower than RH9 is now on our network, so this doesn't worry me.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been working on a script that automatically recreates the root.fpj (and fpj in the other folders). Please PM me if you want to beta test it.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might find Rh10 is better on the network as Rh9 wasn't designed for such use, Rh10 was and changes were made, obviously.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just a quick note, I released a free script that can rebuild your FPJ files: http://www.wvanweelden.eu/product/missing-topics-fixer

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp