Skip navigation
JamieSoloPhoto77
Currently Being Moderated

Mac Finder Thumbnail Update Using Save-As External Hard Drive

Feb 12, 2013 10:51 PM

Tags: #jpeg #update #external #cs6 #hard #drive #finder #thumbnail

Hello:

I recently converted to an iMac and CS6 from PC/CS5.  In addition to the Mac OS missing some key file selection tools (like shift select for a range of files), I am having a big problem with thumbnail.  I recently sent a file to be printed that was edited in CS6 on the iMac.  The files were stored on an external hard drive connected direclty to the iMac.  The file I got from the printer did not match the image I sent.  I traced the problem to the fact that when using the Save-as function, the thumbnail was not updated. 

I was able to replicate this problem at will.  As an experiment, I moved the file onto the internal hard drive and tried again.  This time the thumbnail did update.  Has anybody else had this problem?  Is this a Mac OS issue, or a Photoshop issue?

Jamie

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2013 11:19 PM   in reply to JamieSoloPhoto77

That would have to be an OS issue.  Photoshop either doesn't write thumbnails (if chosen), or writes the current data along with the new file.  There isn't a way for Photoshop to have out of date thumbnails in a file.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 1:05 AM   in reply to JamieSoloPhoto77

the Mac OS missing some key file selection tools (like shift select for a range of files)

Works fine for me (Mas OSX 10.6.8).

And cmd-clicking for non-continuos items in lists.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 4:21 AM   in reply to JamieSoloPhoto77

I've never had a problem with out of date "thumbnails" (I guess you mean custom file icons) or missing Shift select functionality in Finder. OS X 10.6.8.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 8:48 AM   in reply to JamieSoloPhoto77

That sounds like the file is good, but the OS is not updating it's cache of the file thumbnail correctly.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 9:27 AM   in reply to JamieSoloPhoto77

JamieSoloPhoto77 wrote:

I am starting to consider that maybe it is the format of the hard drive (FAT32).

That certainly could be a factor in the problem. Unless you have a specific need for the volume to be FAT32, it would be better formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled, a.k.a. HFS+ Journaled.

As far as I can tell the shift select method for selecting a range of files only works if you are not in thumbnail view, which is unacceptable for a phototgrapher.

I see what you mean. In icon view, drag a rectangular selection, like a rectangular marquee in Photoshop. It's not a perfect solution but may help.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points