• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe, stop forcing us to download Google Chrome.

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2011 Sep 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was updating my flash version for firefox.

Then the installer did something extremely intrusive and rude.

It was not just downloading the flash player update.

It was also forcing me to download google chrome without my permission.

You are wasting my bandwidth and hard selling me to install another browser.

I did not finish the installation, unable to because of the bandwith it was sucking while trying to download the player AND at the same time, forcefully downloading google chrome.

Adobe, get your act together. Stop forcing us and not giving us a choice not to download google chrome.

Please give an option for users to select if they want to download google chrome or not, instead of shoving it in our faces without permission.

Now you wonder why Apple banned you from their platform. You guys got some serious attitude issues disrespecting your users.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And btw, why the heck does your installer deleted itself when I stopped it ?!

Are you trying to hide something ?

Your apps are behaving like sneaky trojan horses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not the installer doing that, it is the download manager.

Download the standard installer(s), without any bundled software, from the links in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/889580

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 08, 2011 Sep 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry that happened, from everything I've seen we usually prompt with a checkbox on the download webpage.  Then again, I have Chrome installed so it probably wouldn't happen to me anyway.  I do get the "option" to install McAfee though and I assume Chrome is similar.  I'll bring this up to the team and see if anyone else has any info.

As Pat mentioned, you can use the direct download links which won't come with any added "features".

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2012 Sep 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just re-encountered this problem today, and not only did it force me to download chrome while it downloaded the update, it also installed it without asking, and set it as a quick launch icon without asking.  Even if I'd wanted chrome, now I'm deleting it out of spite--this is ridiculously invasive, and the download took twice as long!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2012 Nov 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am grtting so sick of the Chrome installs on the 15 computers that I am responsible for.  Why is it that the check box ion the update screen checked by default?  You prey on the people that are not computer savey and miss it.  They unknowingly install Chrome when doing  updates.  Then I have to waste a good portion of my week, yes WEEK, fixing the mess on the 15 computers, which have up to 36 user profiles on them.   Oh just uninstall it you say?  That would be nice if the Chrome uninstaller removed itself from ALL the profiles but it does not.  (Not your fault directly)  If we wanted Chrome I would install it.  We DO NOT WANT IT.  If you are unwilling to stop this unnecessary BS then please tell me of another product that I can substitute your Flash Play, Reader, Shockwave and AIR and with.  At this point I would be willing to pay to stop this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2013 Feb 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All.

Adobe guy's >  This check box business is incredibly arrogant of you to assume we want this piece of software on our PC's, Laptops or even Mobile devices. This check box should require ticking if we WANT the software, not Un-Tick that we DON'T want the software.

In other words, it should be an opt in, not have to opt out.

The British government is working on making this law over here, and about time too.

We cannot run stand alone installs any more because of all the crap we have to sit there and physically un-tick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2013 Feb 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't even see the courtesy of allowing a check box to be unchecked.  You get a pop-up on your desktop asking permission to update Flash Player, you click on it, go to their website, click on another button that says update, and all of the sudden an information box shows up showing download of Flash Player, Google Chrome and Google Toolbar and right when each download finishes, the install automatically installs them all.  There was NO checkbox either checked or not checked.  In my case I would have been happy if there was a checkbox that I could have unchecked.  I tried to save the install to my laptop first and then run it, but the behavior is identical.  The Google MALWARE is forced upon you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2013 Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have about had it with Google and Adobe. These companies wear the cloak of social consciousness, but they're just two more fat cat corporations who don't care about consumers. I trustingly downloaded the Flash update this morning, only to discover that Google Chrome had been forced upon me. I am done using Google as a search engine, and I am this close to cancelling my Adobe Cloud membership. Shame on you both! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2013 Feb 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Adobe guy's, is this going to be looked into please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2013 Feb 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After posting my comment yesterday, I discovered something else about this arrangement: On Windows, if you uninstall Google Chrome, it completely messes up Outlook. Click on any links in emails to take you to websites, and you get an error message. I had to reinstall Google Chrome just to restore functionality. I plan to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Justice. It is absolutely deplorable that Adobe and Google would go to these lengths to force us to use Google Chrome. Whatever happened to the free market? If I want Google Chrome, I'll download it on my own!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2013 Sep 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

PerfectPennyB

Good luck with that. Apparently you haven't seen ANYTHING in the news about the USDOJ since 2009. They run guns to Mexican drug cartels, give a free pass to illegal aliens, and now they're turning drug dealers out of prison onto the streets of America. Unless you run a drung or human smuggling ring and use your computer for it, they won't care one flip about ANYTHING that hinders the use of it. And unless you can find a few hundred thousand potential Hillary 2016 voters with the exact same problem (and the exact same cause) who are willing to join in a class action, that you'll have to hire an attorney to file, the DOJ won't even read your complaint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2013 Feb 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know these are old posts, but the flash player upgrade still forces install of Google Chrome and Google Toolbar as of today (2/15/2013).  So any claims by Adobe that they still don't know this is happening and "will check it out" seems suspect to me.  This is forced malware.  It is unwanted software and to force it on your users just to get an upgrade of software that they do want is bogus and I would really think that Adobe being a legitimate software company would really understand this point with their user base.  Free shouldn't give a company like Adobe license to do whatever the H__L it pleases with your computer.  Google should also realize that such forced tactics actually makes users rebel against their software.  Sure makes me want to be on the lookout for better choices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2013 Sep 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still hasnt been fixed. Link on the CareerBuilding.com website for me to install flash player forces the install of Google Chrome. No check boxes anywhere, it just goes right into installing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2013 Sep 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ERMIVERMIV,

Can you post a link to that page? I've had a careerbuilder account for years and have NEVER seen anything there that requires Flash Player or has a download link. I'd like to see this for myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines