• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

now you see it, you don't …

Advisor ,
Feb 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another surprise from my inherited doc set, though in general my predecessor didn't do a bad job: a paragraph style specifies a background colour (CMYK, process) to give white text on a blue background on the cover page. No problems on screen, otherwise I would of course have noticed earlier – but creating a .pdf unhelpfully drops the background so I end up with discreet/confidential white on white.  What's going on, and how I sort it?  N  FM 10.0.2.419 Acrobat X Pro 10.1.2 Windows 7

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the old joke goes...

Patient: Doc, my text doesn't print when I define my paragraph style to print white on a blue background...

Doc: Don't do that!

Assuming that's not an option, however,

• Have you checked View > Color > Views to see if the Blue color is set to print properly?
  • Have you tried both
    • Save as PDF
    • Printing to the Adobe PDF print driver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niels,

As Matt asked, which route are you taking to create the PDF - SaveAsPDF or printing to the AdobePDF printer or to a .ps file and distilling? Are you trying to create CMYK or RGB output? Which joboptions were specified for the PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Patient: but the user interface says I can …

First quick check shows that the 'dentical same colour definition is used in two styles: once as a background, where it doesn't show up in the .pdf, and once in a heading where it shows up as [at least] I would expect. To produce the .pdf, I'm using Save as PDF from the book window. More on this later, if I survive the day ahead ;-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 19, 2013 Feb 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niels,

You mention the same color definition used in two styles. Is there ONE color definition? OR are there TWO color definitions, each with the same components? If the latter, maybe the one used in the background is set Not to Print.

Van

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 19, 2013 Feb 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, no – one colour definition, set to Process, CMYK. White, of course, is set to Don't print.

Is there anything in the colour definitions I should report back on? unknown territory for me …

N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2013 Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<snip> Patient: but the user interface says I can …</snip> 

Fair enough!

So, does the color print when applied to a frame background, or when applied as the color (not the background color) of text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
… used in two styles: once as a background, where it doesn't show up in the .pdf, and once in a heading where it shows up as [at least] I would expect.

Yup, used as a text colour (that's what I meant by my ambiguous reference to a heading) it prints as you'd hope and expect. I'll check for frame backgrounds.

N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines