• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ColdFusion and Windows 8

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2012 Nov 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just purchased my entire team of developers windows 8 machines, and I have found that CF does not install on Windows 8. How is it possible that Adobe does not have a Windows 8 release yet? I have been an avid CF supporter for over a decade but this could be the last straw. Does anyone know of any possible workarounds for this issue? I am in a bind here so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2012 Nov 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 8 is only just out, and Adobe and Microsoft are two entirely separate companies. It's too much to expect, isn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too much to expect? I won't go overboard, but no it's not too much to expect. Developers' editions have been available for months and Adobe has been working quite closely with Microsoft during that time to make sure Flash player worked. I guess I could live with a couple week lag while they double check that nothing significant has changed since the W8 release candidate, but I wouldn't say it's too much to expect. That said, we don't have much choice since new machines only come with Windows 8 and the Developer's Edition of CF is all we have to work with before pushing to a server. Do you know if CF9 just happens to be compatible by some quirk of fate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, you're dead right in your assessment (it's a bit ignorant of BKBK to suggest Adobe only gets access to new Windows versions at the same time the general public do).  And, no, CF9 doesn't work on Win8 either.

The official word on Win8 support is here:

http://blogs.coldfusion.com/post.cfm/coldfusion-10-support-on-windows-8-and-os-x-mountain-lion

It's depressing reading.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam Cameron. wrote:

(it's a bit ignorant of BKBK to suggest Adobe only gets access to new Windows versions at the same time the general public do).

Reread my reaction. I suggest no such thing. Your tendency to condescend usually overtakes your thinking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is terrible news. I just can't comprehend how this is possible for a product like CF. Someone had posted a workaround in another thread but the link is no longer working. Are there any workarounds that anyone is aware of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2012 Nov 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The official word from the ColdFusion team is that we will have to wait till December 2012 at the earliest for Coldfusion 10 support of Windows 8. Terrible news for us developers, that goes without saying.

However, what surprises me is the number of developers unprepared for this delay. You could have guessed it from developments in recent months. Some of the milestones in the timeline for the release of ColdFusion 10 matched the timescales for milestones in the Windows 8 release. To illustrate, I have copied the following titbits from the respective Wikipedia stories:

ColdFusion 10 release

For much of 2010, ColdFusion Product Manager Adam Lehman toured the US setting up countless meetings with customers, developers, and user groups to formulate a master blueprint for the next feature set. In September 2010, he presented the plans to Adobe where they were given full support and approval by upper management. The first public beta of ColdFusion 10 was released via Adobe Labs on 17 February 2012. ColdFusion version 10 was released on May 15, 2012.

Windows 8 release

Development of Windows 8 started before the release of its predecessor in 2009. Its existence was first announced at CES 2011, and followed by the release of three pre-release versions from September 2011 to May 2012. The operating system was released to manufacturing on August 1, 2012. On August 15, 2012, Windows 8 was made available to download for MSDN and TechNet subscribers. Windows 8 was made available to Software Assurance customers on August 16, 2012. The operating system was released for general availability on October 26, 2012.

One could argue, from the statements I have italicized, that Windows 8 was actually released later than ColdFusion 10! That puts the delay in perspective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2012 Nov 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plus, I had read somewhere else that several of the Win8 pre-release betas were all a little different and unstable.  This would have a huge impact on preparing support for an OS.

Yes, it sucks.  But it is what it is, and I'm sure that Adobe is scrambling to prepare for Win8 support as fast as they can.

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It certainly doesn't seem like they are scrambling to me. Win8 was released in October. I have yet to see a meaningful statement from Adobe on this. CF is not some open source project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if reply #3 of the following forum post helps: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1051315?tstart=0

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did see that but dont consider it a meaningful or acceptable response to paying customers. It would be nice to hear some reasoning and a better timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apply for a job at Adobe as a programmer.  Maybe you can get them to work faster via leading by example.

^_^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ERICBRANCACCIO wrote:

It would be nice to hear some reasoning and a better timeline.

ColdFusion 10 on Windows 8 is the kind of thing that often pops up in the Christmas season.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read some other posts on users being able to perform work arounds to get CF10 installed on Windows 8.  Would anyone be able to post how it is done?  The blog that had the instructions on the particular forum thread has been down for a while now.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Hall wrote:

Do you know if CF9 just happens to be compatible by some quirk of fate?

No, it is not. Check out the respective support matrices:

CF 9 support matrix

CF 10 support matrix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric,

Did you get anywhere with CF10 on Win8?

Just curious if you found something I haven't seen yet.

I just tried tonight, 12/20/2012, having just condemned myself to Win8 last week, and the normal CF10 64-bit download crashes during the install on Win8, as of this date.

So next I'm going to go visit the folks over at Railo, to see if they are further ahead than Adobe with a CF engine working on Win8...

And as a fall back, then I'm going to use a virtual machine compatible with CF10, running in VirtualBox (which does run on Win8).

If anyone has updated news, please let us know.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not resolved this. Railo seemed to run nicely on win8 but I had too many compatability issues with some of my apps. Let me know if how the virtual machine workaround works for you if you do it. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works fine, but had to go through hell to get the original poster with the blog article to get his site up and running.  He either hosts it from his home or has a really crappy host.  Eitherways, thanks to him I got it going, here is the site: http://thefusionator.com/index.cfm?blogID=2

Let me know what issues you are having or where you are at with the install and I might be able to offer some assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the CF services seem to appear under services. Did you experience the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 22, 2012 Dec 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the installation complete successfully for you?  If it did, the CF services should have been added.  If not, you'll have to perform a reinstall.  Did you install it using the troubleshoot compatibility mode and then picking windows 7 & run as administrator?  That's the jist of the whole process that gets it to eventually work, not to mention all the other tweaks you have to do here and there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2012 Dec 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The piece I had missed was running the installer as admin. As soon as I looked at the install logs it was obvious, so I'm all set now. Thanks for your help! So now knowing what the workaround is (a newer jre and some iis settings) why has Adobe not released an updated installer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2012 Dec 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ERICBRANCACCIO

Please kindly mark this problem as solved. It will certainly help someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2012 Dec 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to do so. For what it's worth, I'm running Windows 8 64-bit, but what made the think to try the 32-bit is I remembered when I installed CF9 on my 64-bit Win7 PC, I had to install the 32-bit version as well. Hope this info helps some others!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2012 Dec 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how many people this will help, but I was able to get CF10 32-bit to install without any problems or workarounds and it runs fine on my Windows 8 machine (so far). The only thing I did, and I don't know if it was necessary, is run the installer in Compatibility Mode for Windows 7. Everything else went fine.

That said, I'm a novice user and I'm just using the built-in server, so if you need to set up anything more complicated, you may have to try a few of the workarounds that are posted here and elsewhere on the web.

Anyway, just wanted to share that with everyone. All hope is not lost!

JAW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just thought everyone might like to know that coldfusion 9 works sraight of the bat, I had no problem installing it on windows 8 at all. Happy Days

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation