Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Multiple Conditional Tags with Multiple WebHelp Outputs

Feb 22, 2013 Feb 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project that I have created for a web application. Within the web application, there are 3 types of customers (Commercial Accts, National Accts, and Tier 1 Customers).

I have tagged each help topic that is associated with the help topics I have created.

Then, I created 3 webhelp outputs and 3 TOCs for each customer type.

My goal is to publish the project, where each customer type has their own generated output. Doing it this way, what is listed in the TOC help topics for each customer type is not displaying correctly.

Example: National Accounts TOC

What is generated:

I have tagged the help topics within the TOC to the appropriate conditional tag. Please help. Any advice? I can also be reached at tyeago@tyco.com

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 22, 2013 Feb 22, 2013

none of your screenshots came through - use the camera icon in the web interface to attach images

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

none of your screenshots came through - use the camera icon in the web interface to attach images

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff. I have updated the post with screen shots. If you can help, that would be greatly appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project that I have created for a web application. Within the web application, there are 3 types of customers (Commercial Accts, National Accts, and Tier 1 Customers).

I have tagged each help topic that is associated with the help topics I have created.

help topics conditional tags.png

Then, I created 3 webhelp outputs and 3 TOCs for each customer type.

toc_index view.png

My goal is to publish the project, where each customer type has their own generated output. Doing it this way, what is listed in the TOC help topics for each customer type is not displaying correctly.

Example: National Accounts TOC

TOC example.png

What is generated:

TOC output.png

Please help. Any advice? I can also be reached at tyeago@tyco.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So are you creating 3 separate SSL recipes (one for each type of customer) or trying to pack it all in just 1 output? I'd be inclined to create separate SSLs for each flavour (using CBTs) and attach the respective TOC and Index within each one. OR you could investigate the idea of Concept Categories (which I've never used) to package it al up into 1 bundle and have the user select what flavour of help they see based on their type (I'd see grainge.org for more info on that).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

Yes, I have created separate SSL files:

ssl_folder.png

I have selected the TOC/Index from WebHelp settings dialog which open from the Single Source layout?

webhelp settings.png

As far as attaching the TOC/Index to each SSL, what do you mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I can see that you've done that (attaching the type's TOC and IX within each SSL); so the problem is that you're getting the datasourcetest TOC instead of the national_account one? If that's the case, what about changing the (default) setting attached to the datasourcetest TOC?

BTW - I noticed your project path length is long - best practices dictates c:\projects\project_name\ as a structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that when I open the index.htm for each ssl (commercial acct, national, tier1), when each ssl index.htm help is opened, it does not show everything i need in the TOC.

When I open this:

index_htm.png

I get this:

toc.png

I should be getting this in my published TOC:

rh_toc.png

I'm thinking its a conditional tag issue, but dont know what the problem is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok - I see - what are the CBTs on the topics that make up the "Getting Started in DataSource", "Searching for Site Levels", "Displaying Site Data" TOC book entries - they seem to be getting suppressed and they sort of read like they would be common to all types of customer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are common to ALL customer types (commercial, natl, tier1). I have tagged those help topics with all 3 conditional tags. I thought if I tagged them with each tag, that each ssl index.htm will display the topic in the published format.

new.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope - if they're common to all, then they don't need a tag attached. What's happening is that your expression is saying "not A and not B and not C" so if a topic is tagged with A/B/C then the expression will never be true - so it gets tossed. Try stripping them off the topics & try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting from the top:

Once I created my help topics in my project, I selected the help topics from the Topic List view and applied conditional tags to them (natl, comm, tier1) depending on if the topic is associated with that customer.

help topics conditional tags.png

Then, I created a new TOC for natl, comm, tier1 by copying the existing TOC (datasourcetest (Default) which is used for all customer types).

ccc.png

Next, I modified each CBTs TOC accordingly. You can see the difference in the Navigational through DataSource book:

toc master.png

In the WebHelp settings for each CBT, I selected the CBT settings, and defined the expression for each output, click Save and Generate.

For example, the following was done for the Commerical CBT:

webhelp.png

Note: There are no conditional tags selected inside the CBT TOC:

ddd.png

So, what am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Find a topic that is common to all TOCs/SSLs - strip off all the CBTs on that topic (in the Project View, not the TOC); regenerate; what do you get?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff. I am stripping the CBTs on all topics and reapplying. I will keep you posted of my progress!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Don't do it all topics (just yet) - just one common topic & test with that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp