• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I transfer my photoshop to a new laptop with no disc drive?

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2013 Feb 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to transfer my CS6 upgrade and, I assume, my original CS5 Windows versions of Photoshop to my new laptop that has no disc drive. This feature takeaway is increasingly common in new laptops, so I thought this would be an easy search, but I got nothing. Anyone out there know a practical way that doesn't involve ripping a disc? If ripping a disc is my only option, then what is the easiest and cheapest way to do that?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 25, 2013 Feb 25, 2013

Just download the Photoshop CS6 trial and install it. You don't have to have the previous version of the software installed. When you don't have the previous version installed, you are asked to enter the serial number for your previous version to verify.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2013 Feb 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you already have the upgrade disks from adobe then you could buy a USB version of DVD drive and this can be used to install your software.  Alternatively, if you have access to a machine with the CD/DVD drive then you can copy the entire CD/DVD to a USB flash/Pen drive and use this to install your software.

However, I always thought that Adobe normally provide downloadable upgrade programs and if this is so then log into your account and see if there is a link to download the software.

Trial software won't be of any use because your Key must be for upgrades and not full version.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 25, 2013 Feb 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just download the Photoshop CS6 trial and install it. You don't have to have the previous version of the software installed. When you don't have the previous version installed, you are asked to enter the serial number for your previous version to verify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trial software won't be of any use because your Key must be for upgrades and not full version.

Not sure what that means.

You can download the Trial version, enter a CS6 upgrade serial number then a CS5 serial number (upgrade or full) and the software will be licensed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option is to put the disc in a drive in a computer you have on your local network, then access it through the network. 

Surely you have such a system handy.  If not, I'm curious:  Did you think about this before you bought a computer without a disc reader?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2016 Jun 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,maybe the computer was a gift....That part of your answer was very rude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2016 Jun 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel hasn't contributed to the forum in many years. Yes, some of his comments can seem abrasive, but he is extremely knowledgeable with PS, and his input is missed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to put CS6 on the new computer just download the trial and type in the serial number, or re-download.  When asked for qualifying product type in s/n of CS5.  You do not need cs5 on machine unless you want it there to use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gyhstnnnr wrote:

I need to transfer my CS6 upgrade and, I assume, my original CS5 Windows versions of Photoshop to my new laptop that has no disc drive. This feature takeaway is increasingly common in new laptops, so I thought this would be an easy search, but I got nothing. Anyone out there know a practical way that doesn't involve ripping a disc? If ripping a disc is my only option, then what is the easiest and cheapest way to do that?

I find it hard to believe that your new laptop has no disk drive.  I can not believe it boots off some network device.   It is quit normal to download or copy Photoshop installation files to a Laptops internal hard disk or ssd using an external DVD or network shared.  Then install Photoshop from the copied or downloaded installation files.  I haven't installed Photoshop from CD or DVD in many years. Normally you do not need to copy prior versions of Photoshop to do an upgrade. You will need to be able to enter your upgrade eligible version of Photoshop serial number.

I think the idea of network computers without disk drives went out vogue many years ago it was a concept that never took off.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Disc" is not the same as "disk" as used in this context, JJ.

I believe he's speaking of an optical drive, such as what you might put a CD or DVD or BluRay disc (note: spelled with a c) into.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

"Disc" is not the same as "disk" as used in this context, JJ.

I believe he's speaking of an optical drive, such as what you might put a CD or DVD or BluRay disc (note: spelled with a c) into.

Does it make any difference Optical Disk  CD, DVD, BluRay, memory stick, hard disk, sd, solid state disk, flash menory etc all contain File systems some removable media may be read only. Applications are installed from files they can be local or remote. As long as the laptop can connect to a network applications can be installed into its file system where ever it may reside as long as it is read/write and has the required free space.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may still be missing the point.  The machine of course HAS a disk drive, on which  gyhstnnnr can store files and install applications.  He's asking how to install applications for which he has optical disc media, without the machine having an optical disc reader (which he called a disc drive).  And of course the questions have already been answered.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to admit that I knew what they meant by when they started this thread.  They also more or less answered the question posed by stating that their configuration is a common configuration these days. It not unseal at all.  If it was not possible to install applications on such a system it would be a very unseal configuration and would not sell. Often users ask questions without putting any thought into the matter. All I was trying to do was to jar their gray matter.... If they has install Photoshop from a DVD on their old machine and now want to transfer Photoshop from their old machine they still have their old machine and the optical disk drive they used to install from. All they needed to do IMO was to use a little of their gray matter.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just purchased a beast of a windows laptop, 2 grand, beautiful and no disc drive, loads usb3, thunderbolts and others!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Plug in DVD drives are an essential add on for your beast unless you are happy for all your valuable software on CD to become coasters. Yes, you can download some, but that’s not the point: just because computer makers choose not to offer an optical drive doesn’t make us helpless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2016 Aug 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can only have 2 copies installed at once, so you should deactivate the software from the old computer first.

To deactivate the software from your computer:

1. Make sure the computer that has the software installed is connected to the Internet.
  2. Choose Help > Deactivate in the product you wish to deactivate.  If you have a suite then choosing one of the products will Deactivate the entire suite.
  3. Select Deactivate Permanently.

To install the software on the new computer:

1. Copy the files from your original installation disc to a USB stick.
  2. Copy the files from the USB stick to your new computer.
  3. Make sure the new computer is connected to the internet.
  4. Install from the location where you copied the files from the USB stick and follow the instructions.
  5. You will need to login to Adobe, so be sure to have your login and password for you Adobe account.

I just followed this process over the past 2 days, moving CS6 from an old Macbook that had a disc drive, to a new Macbook Pro that does not have a disc drive. I wasn't able to install directly from the USB stick from some reason, but that might also be possible. For my case, once I copied all files to the the new laptop and installed from there, it worked.

Regards,

~Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines