• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

why doesn't updating a book in framemaker 10 show the correct tabs for the table of contents from th

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Framemaker 10.0.2.419 to build a book.  I can generate a TOC by following the web tutorials.  When I go to the reference page of the TOC file and format the paragraph tags, any formatting requests with tabs aren't realized when the book is updated.  Things like font changes and leading and trailing space following a tag are.  When I go back to the TOC body page and look at the paragraph tag in the paragraph designer, the proper description including the tags is present.  For some reason, Framemake isn't recognizing them.  I've closed the book and re-opened it to no effect.  Is there something that I'm doing wrong or is this a know bug in the product?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you specify the tab locations for the various TOC tags in the Paragraph Designer (Update All)?  Did you regenerate the book?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  Update all from paragragh designer on the ref page and body page.  Yes. Update the book after the TOC was generated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screen capture (use the Camera icon in the Forum message editor) of your TOC Reference page showing the paratag entries with the tabs. Please also turn on the View > Borders & View > Text Symbols prior to this and also show the Paragraph Designer Basic tab for one of the TOC entry paratags with the tabs inserted.

You could also check to see if the tab positions have been placed past the the text frame margins. FM will ignore the tabs in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reference page showing that the tabs are in effect.

toc_ref_page.PNGtoc_ref_para_designer.PNG

Snippet from the body page showing that the tabs are NOT in effect for the reference page.

toc_body_page.PNGtoc_body_para_designer2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like your text frame on the Body page might be narrower than the tab position specified. The tab positions are relative to the left edge of the text frame, not the page. Turn on your Rulers and place the cursor in one of the paragraphs on the Body pages to see where the tabs are located. You should see a tab mark on the ruler. You can either drag this to the correct position or use the Designer to set the tab poisition to smaller right poistion, .g. 5.5" or 6.0" Don't forget to do an Update All to change the Catalog definition and then regenerate the book.

Tab_ignored.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes.  That was the problem.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines