• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

trying to install upgrade of CS4 to CS6 onto a Dell laptop that doesnt have CS4 installed on it

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trying to install upgrade of CS4 to CS6 onto a Dell laptop that doesnt have CS4 installed on it

cant find the download or disc of CS4 in order to put it on the laptop

message says that no qualifying product is on the laptop for the serial number that I have for CS6

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Youi do not need to have the old software installed.  You only need to have the serial number for it as proof of eligibility for the upgrade.  There should be an option to proceed and enter the older serial number.

In case it matters, CS4 software is no longer elogoble for upgrade to CS6.  CErtain software within the CS4 collection would be, but on the whole the suites will not be.  In January the up[grade policy was changed to be limited to CS5+

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case it matters, CS4 software is no longer elogoble for upgrade to CS6.  CErtain software within the CS4 collection would be, but on the whole the suites will not be.  In January the up[grade policy was changed to be limited to CS5+

I would have thought that that applies to purchasing CS6 upgrades only - since the purchasing policy changed on Dec 31, 2012.

If a CS6 upgrade was purchased last year and only installed today, the CS6 installer should still recognize the CS4 serial number.

I don't know if there's any technical or licensing difference between a CS6 upgrade serial number purchased in 2012 and one purchased in 2013.

I wonder how Adobe is policing this change in upgrade policy either side of 31 Dec 2012.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think the purchasing policy changed.  I think the upgrade policy changed.  As far as I know (which is very limited in scope), people can still make the mistake of buying software they are not eligible to install.

While I might be missing the point you are trying to make, I don't think there is anything prohibiting someone from purchasing any upgrade they want even if they do not own a qualifying version from which to upgrade.  They just have to pick something/anything from the "I Own" dropdown and add the purchase to their shopping cart.  There's nothing checking that they have what they need to be able to use it... which makes sense since people could be buying gifts for whatever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I might be missing the point you are trying to make,

I guess I'm trying to understand how the CS6 upgrade installer enforces the 2012/2013 upgrade policy change for CS3 and CS4 (both ineligible in 2013).

Adobe says that CS3 and CS4 are no longer eligible for upgrade to CS6 after Dec 31, 2012. OK.

So how does the CS6 installer establish when CS3 and CS4 are no longer qualifying serials?

Case 1: CS6 upgrade purchased in 2012, installed today with CS4 as the qualifying serial. Should be OK.

Case 2: CS6 upgrade purchased today, installed today with CS4 as the qualifying serial. Won't work since CS4 is no longer eligible.

How does the CS6 installer distinguish between them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2013 Feb 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John and Ned to answer your questions the installer for CS6 has not changed.  The change in policy is that customer's no longer qualify to purchase an upgrade to CS6 from the Adobe store for versions older than CS5.  You can find upgrade pricing information at http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/mastercollection/buying-guide-upgrades.html.

The installer will still accept a CS3 or CS4 serial number.  If they did need to contact our support team however then, depending on their concern, the purchase date for the upgrade may end up playing a factor in the support which is offered to the user.

So in summary, at this moment, the CS6 installer will still accept older serial numbers so users who purchased the upgrade prior to January 1, 2013 will still be able to install their software.  Policy wise though the customer would have needed to have purchased the upgrade prior to January 1, 2013 to qualify to utilize the upgrade.

In general if a user has CS3 or CS4 and is looking to upgrade to CS6 their best option is to sign up for the upgrade pricing for Creative Cloud.  More details regarding the Creative Cloud can be found at http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html?promoid=JQPEQ.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional clarification on this topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope I don't confuse the issue further but I haven't quite got this straight in my mind. This new upgrade policy seems to have a few grey areas - or at least areas which are subject to Adobe's discretion.

The installer will still accept a CS3 or CS4 serial number.  If they did need to contact our support team however then, depending on their concern, the purchase date for the upgrade may end up playing a factor in the support which is offered to the user.

So in summary, at this moment, the CS6 installer will still accept older serial numbers so users who purchased the upgrade prior to January 1, 2013 will still be able to install their software.  Policy wise though the customer would have needed to have purchased the upgrade prior to January 1, 2013 to qualify to utilize the upgrade.

I'm hearing that CS3 or CS4 users purchasing the CS6 upgrade today can still install CS6 today and successfully enter their CS3 or CS4 serial as a qualifying serial number?

However, they may hit snags if they need to call Adobe support.

If their purchase date for the CS6 upgrade was in 2012, they will receive support. If their purchase date was in 2013, they're on their own or they'll have to turn to these forums (and we can't help them with issues regarding serial numbers).

Is that how it stands today?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John basically policy wise to qualify to purchase a CS6 upgrade today they would need to have CS5 or later.  This policy would likely also be enforced when contacting our support team.  Especially if they were contacting us regarding a message that there previous version serial number did not qualify for the upgrade.

The CS6 software itself has not been adjusted though and as long as a user was upgrading from a previous qualifying version then they should be able to complete the installation process successfully.

I hope that makes sense?  I am trying to be a bit general as our support team would be evaluating each users individual situation specifically.  I have seen this topic come up though a few times so I wanted to provide Ned and you with a bit more information. 

To reiterate though a CS3 or CS4 user today would want to either purchase a full version of CS6 or subscribe with the upgrade pricing to the Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Jeff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines