• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker10 - Windows 7 - How to get background color for a paragraph tag?

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2-27-2013 1-38-39 PM.png

I am trying to create my heading1 with a background like the picture above.

I have put the blue background on a master page, but the body frame goes into the blue background and subsequently the blue background does not show through.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cindy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Cindy,

You have to create a specific master page for the chapter opening/first page that contains two connected text frames. The top most frame would have the blue background and be meant for the title. The next text frame would pick up the text and have two columns.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cindy,

You have to create a specific master page for the chapter opening/first page that contains two connected text frames. The top most frame would have the blue background and be meant for the title. The next text frame would pick up the text and have two columns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As usual...you rock Arnis!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cindy, I missed the fact that you're title is centred in the block. You could use a single-cell table construct to hold the contents for the title and have the title paratag set to be in the middle of the cell. (you could also colour the cell and skip colouring on the Master page).

There are always multiple ways to do things in FM, that's why it sometimes seem so hard to use...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

… now to wait and see whether Cindy has more luck than I've had when it comes to generating a .pdf that actually shows the background colour ;-}  N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 28, 2013 Feb 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't test this right now, but I remember that when extracting a TOC, table title paragraphs appear out of order when mixed with main-text-flow paragraphs, because of the way that FM keeps track of table information. I'm not sure if the problem also affects paragraphs in table cells.

Colors behind text is a frequent request. It's always a good idea to post a formal feature request here: Wishform. Eventually user requested features have been known to appear in future FM releases.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Arnis Gubins wrote:

Cindy, I missed the fact that you're title is centred in the block. You could use a single-cell table construct to hold the contents for the title and have the title paratag set to be in the middle of the cell. (you could also colour the cell and skip colouring on the Master page).

There are always multiple ways to do things in FM, that's why it sometimes seem so hard to use...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In all honesty, I haven't tried to PDF this yet...will keep you updated.

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colors behind text is a frequent request

What bugs me at present is that 'background colour' is a property (which the happy user can now set in the paragraph designer) that shows up as required on screen but does not survive Distiller. Illustrator text blocks can manage this apparently simple trick …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 01, 2013 Mar 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niels, text background color survives to PDF just fine for me. It sounds

like you may have an incorrect setting or broken installation. The only

thing I could think of is in Adobe PDF Properties> Advanced tab, is the

driver set to Adobe PDF Converter or something else? Maybe it's set to a

black-and-white driver by mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2013 Mar 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niels,

As Mike says, it works for me.

What colours are you using?

What colour model are they in?

Are they all set to print?

Which joboptions do you specify for Distiller?

Are you using SaveAsPDF?

Is your FM installation patched to the latest version (see: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?platform=Windows&product=22 )?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 03, 2013 Mar 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for listing the questions, Arnis. Here are my answers …

• colours used: out-of-the-box FM colours, plus corporateBlue (CMYK 68, 40, 12, 20) – this is the colour that disappears when used as a background and distilled to .pdf
    Pantone 3015.C arrives with the .eps logo and causes no trouble
  • colour model: process, CMYK, overprint mode Knock out job
  • PDF options: Standard, do not convert CMYK
  • command: Save as PDF
  • platform: 10.0.2.419 (the Adobe page doesn't seem to list patches for FM 10)

Once the .pdf is generated, I can select the invisible text and paste it into an editor … "Touch up text" tells me it is in an unknown colourspace, if that helps.

N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2013 Mar 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niels,

Check your definition for the corporateBlue and list how exactly it is defined (Print As, Model & Overprint settings). Then also check your colour Views and Print settings (Separation Setup) to see if this colour is set to not print or be invisible anywhere.

The "unknown colourspace" in the PDF suggests that the colour definition is somehow messed up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll agree with the "somehow messed up", but find it strange that the colour behaves correctly as a 'colour' while failing to print as a 'background colour'. More info hereunder …

• Name: corporateBlue
  • Ink name: corporateBlue
  • Print as: Process
  • Model: CMYK (68, 40, 12, 20)
  • Overprint: knock out
  • Print separations: not selected
  • Define colour views – Normal has corporateBlue at the top of the list

FWIW, when I open the resulting .pdf in Illustrator to mend the results, I get the message "An unknown imaging construct was encountered. To preserve appearance, some text has been outlined."

N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines