• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

menus.cfg causing crashes on exit

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2013 Mar 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recent upgrade from FrameMaker 9 to FrameMaker 11. Every time I close the program, I get a crash with the following error message about my menus.cfg file:

fmc.jpg

To the best of my knowledge, I've never done any menu customization, so I don't know where this is coming from. I had a co-worker give me a copy of her menus.cfg file so I could replace mine & see if that cleared things up: no dice. Not an earth-shattering problem, but if anyone can help me figure out what's the what, it'd be appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you just delete it and then start up FM, select a default workspace, then close FM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same crash; FrameMaker creates a new menus.cfg file to replace the one I deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm..something damaged I wonder? What about deactivating, uninstalling & reinstalling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would require a lot of hoop-jumping on my end, may give it a shot once the workload dies down a bit. Like I said: it's irritating, but not a show-stopper!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to have a look through Klaus Daube's notes on customizing FM11 at http://daube.ch/docu/files/etb-customising-fm.pdf

This contains info on what's in the menu files and how they're configured. Starting with FM11, things changed quite a bit.

When you say you get a crash at the end of your FM session, what exactly is reported on screen? Typically the menu files are read at the start of a session. Check your console file when  you open FM to see if those messages are already there.

Do you have any third-party plug-ins installed or any Extendscripts set to start automatically at the start of a session?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>When you say you get a crash at the end of your FM session, what exactly is reported on screen?

Something a little different this morning, no reference to the menus.cfg file, but a similar error message:

fmfu2.jpg

> Typically the menu files are read at the start of a session. Check your console file when  you open FM to see if those messages are already there.

If you mean the opening splash screen, no, nothing out of the ordinary appeared there.

> Do you have any third-party plug-ins installed or any Extendscripts set to start automatically at the start of a session?

Nope.

D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The console file is not the opening splash screen. Whenever a FM session is run, some status information is written to the console (which you show in the background of your screen capture). There should be two icons (on slightly offset from the other) for FM on your Windows taskbar. Open the cosole window after yo usee the FM splash screen to see if the error messages are already there. If not, then open a file and check again to see if this is happening at the start or end of the process.

FM_console.png

How long of a wait was there before the Windows stopped working message appeared?

In your C:\Users\,username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\11 folder, do you have any FrameLog_..<timestamp>.txt files corresponding to the crash times? If so, these give detailed info that should be forwarded to Adobe.

Have you also checked your Windows System Events (Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Applications) to see if there is anything reported for the FM crash? This might give some more clues as to what's going on. FM typically issues it's own error message ("FM has detected a serious erorr...") when it crashes and creates the FrameLog files detailing what happened, so if you don't have any of these, then something is happening at the Windows level with FM on your particular installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>The console file is not the opening splash screen. Whenever a FM session is run, some status information is written to the console (which you show in the background of your screen capture). There should be two icons (on slightly offset from the other) for FM on your Windows taskbar. Open the cosole window after yo usee the FM splash screen to see if the error messages are already there. If not, then open a file and check again to see if this is happening at the start or end of the process.

Tried opening FM, but the icon for the console came and went so fast I didn't get a chance to click it. Repeated attempts at closing/reopening FM resulted in NO icon at all. As before, nothing unusual going on at startup, only when closing FM.

> How long of a wait was there before the Windows stopped working message appeared?

After closing FM, about 8 seconds later the console opens up as I described in my earlier posts...then about 2 seconds later, Windows' "FrameMaker has stopped working" message comes up.

> In your C:\Users\,username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\11 folder, do you have any FrameLog_..<timestamp>.txt files corresponding to the crash times?

Yup, 25 of them, dating back to the upgrade.

> Have you also checked your Windows System Events (Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Applications) to see if there is anything reported for the FM crash? ...if you don't have any of these, then something is happening at the Windows level with FM on your particular installation.

Yeah, I've got events reported for the FM crashes, so that's one off the board.

Sounds like I should share my FrameLog_..<timestamp>.txt files with Adobe, then...should I submit 'em through Feature Request/Bug Report Form?

Thanks much!

D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The reports should be sent to <fmerror@adobe.com>, but don't expect a reply back unless they need more information. You should also provide at least one corresponding system level error message (assuming that they all show the same type of fault/error).

In your FM Preferences, (Edit > Preferences... General options), make certain that "Show FIle Translation Errors" option is checked. This is what controls the display of the console file.

If the console seems to disappear on you, the contents are written to a text file called consfile.txt located in the C:\Users\,username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\11 folder. You can look it this file using Notepad while FM is open to see if there is any mention of the menu errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines