• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Proxy Editing

Participant ,
Jun 23, 2011 Jun 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to set up a proxy file automatically like you can in FCP7 or Edius?  I know you can change the playback to 1/4 resolution, but that's just not as nice as playing back a fast, non-high bit rate file... not to mention it's easier to hand off to a long distance editor.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 18, 2011 Jul 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was doing a search AGAIN for Proxy editing in Premiere and came accross this excellent question in this forum... then I realized it was my own post.  No wonder it was so awesomely written and spoke the exact words I was wondering.

In Edius you can easily send a project out as a proxy for easy editing.  Can Premiere do that?

I'm sitting out at pool away from my powerhorse edit bay on a chessy laptop wishing I could edit a program right now.

I came accross this.  Surely there has got to be a better option than this.  Is there?  http://www.homedvd.ca/2010/12/19/offline-hd-proxy-editing-at-work

Chaning playback to 1/4 rez isn't the same as working off of a low res clip.  I'd like to change our 4GB clips to 100MB.  Big difference!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2011 Jul 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unlike other editing apps, the whole philosophy behind Premiere Pro is that it saves time by editing natively, no proxies required.  Hence, it does not have extensive tools to make working with them easier.

The better solution (I think) is to use hardware sufficient to the task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 19, 2011 Jul 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also looking for a good proxy workflow.    Native or not, I want to edit 5D2 footage in Multicam (4 cameras) and it's simply not keeping up in a fluid way.  It's *really* laggy.   So, I started looking at proxy workflows and .....

I have two folders, one called "Source Media" and the other called "Proxy Media".   What I was hoping to do was tell PP that all the footage was offline, then tell it to link the media to the proxy folder.   So, it asks me where the first file is located and it connects to the proxy media fine, but then it links all the remaining footage back to the source media folder instead of following the path I get it for the first file. 

For a few files I could do it all manually, but there are 715 files in this project....

The only way I've come up with so far is to take all the media offline, RENAME the folders so that the proxy becomes the Source Media folder then bring them all back online again.

Is there a better way of doing this?  Is there a way to have the offline media all connect to the proxy folder instead of going back to the source folder (without having to rename the folders!!!!!)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 03, 2013 Feb 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also looking for a good proxy workflow.    Native or not, I want to edit 5D2 footage in Multicam (4 cameras) and it's simply not keeping up in a fluid way.  It's *really* laggy.   So, I started looking at proxy workflows and .....

I have two folders, one called "Source Media" and the other called "Proxy Media".   What I was hoping to do was tell PP that all the footage was offline, then tell it to link the media to the proxy folder.   So, it asks me where the first file is located and it connects to the proxy media fine, but then it links all the remaining footage back to the source media folder instead of following the path I get it for the first file. 

For a few files I could do it all manually, but there are 715 files in this project....

The only way I've come up with so far is to take all the media offline, RENAME the folders so that the proxy becomes the Source Media folder then bring them all back online again.

Is there a better way of doing this?  Is there a way to have the offline media all connect to the proxy folder instead of going back to the source folder (without having to rename the folders!!!!!)?

I have the exactly same problem! I tried everything I could and there's no solution found. Why Premiere is SO STUPID??? Ok there's no proxy (how could developers leave this feature aside?!), but why premiere looks fot files to link in OTHER FOLDER?

May be someone created add-on or script to make it easy?

Adobe, please, answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I made this work reliably was to take the media offline, rename the folders and then re-connect.

It's a pain, but it's not as painful as doing it one file at a time.

FCPX is so much better at this than Premiere Pro.  I wish Adobe would get off the 'we play everything native' horse and start to understand there are times when editing natively is not the only game in town.

Sometimes, we want (or need) to edit with proxies and as we move steadily but surely towards 4K being the norm, frankly I don't want to edit in 4K native when proxy would be much easier all round.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would guess that most of the folks who can afford 4K cameras, or who are getting paid to edit 4K projects, can also afford the hardware needed to run 4K smoothly.

If anything, I'd rather Adobe spent their time getting such formats to run even smoother than working on a Proxy feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 04, 2013 Feb 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, I agree. I there are many PC laptops for about $1,200.00 that could do it. I admit proxy files would be easier to email but mailing a hard drive is not that hard either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell me what "$1200" spec (or frankly any price spec) you think I need to edit 8 cameras 1080p multticam (47 mins) totally smothly with no lag, no stuttering, and no jerkiness etc? This is exactly what I'm editing this morning.

My o/c 4.4Ghz i7 with 16GB ram, GTX570 and RAID 0 (> 600MB/s) won't do it even on windows with Premieire Pro, yet the very same hardware booting OSX and running FCPX CAN do it.  Also my lowly 2.4Ghz i7 MacBookPro can do this from a single HDD (no need for a raid) with FCPX. Nor do we get the silly angle swap bug when you stop!

I don't want to start a platform war, but I do want to understand why Premiere Pro can't do this on regular hardware when others (including Edius & more) can.  It seems the Mercury Playback Engine is in need of some further optimisation.  Having a proxy workflow would help a lot in these situations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ExactImage, I agree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yet the very same hardware booting OSX and running FCPX CAN do it.

Well there you go, that's what I'm talking about.  Adobe should concentrate on smoother playback.  That would obviate the need for proxies.

You have to remember that from the beginning, proxies were a solution to a problem, or more accurately a work around.  Let's not drag Adobe into the "work around" mind set that other NLEs have used for so long, let's get them to actually fix the problem.  They've come a long way with the Mercury Playback Engine.  It would be a good thing if they kept on making those improvements.  It would be a distraction to create from scratch the old and outdated work around of using proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it's easy for you to talk about Mercury playback Engine using extremly-powerful hardware, but I, on my weak laptop on Celeron 900 and integrated Intel video really suffer from lack of proxy feature every normal editing sofware has. My computer simply cannot playback Full hd.

And don't tell my "buy new computer", please...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that is the proper solution to your problem.  Why would you expect Adobe to solve it for you by investing time and resources into a work flow the company has never adopted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

Well, that is the proper solution to your problem.  Why would you expect Adobe to solve it for you by investing time and resources into a work flow the company has never adopted?

I have to agree with Jim.  there comes a point when you can't reaonsably expect Premiere Pro to perform well, and I think a low powered Celeron meets that spec

You will just have to find a workaround, and proxy is almost certainly the way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this doc: Create clips for offline editing.

Beyond that, make afeature request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin Monahan wrote:

I have this doc: Create clips for offline editing.

Beyond that, make afeature request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Thanks for posting this again Kevin.   I've posted feature requests in the past about this, but alas I assume it's never risen to the top of the queue because nothing got changed.

The last project I had to work on have 2572 clips.  I think the work around where you replace the footage one clip at a time is akin to 'having a laugh'

The only way to work on this (within reasonable time and keeping my sanity) was to take the footage offline, rename the assets folder (to something that signified offline) then reconnet to the media in the proxy folder.  

Once the edit was complete enough to go back to the original media, take all footage offline again, rename the proxy folder to proxy_offline (so premiere pro can't reconnect there automatically), raname the assets folder back to the original name (instead of offline) and reconnect.

Without renaming the folders, Premiere Pro attempts to reconnect to the orriginal footage even though it was pointed to a different folder for the first file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this thread. What a brilliant and simple solution...

i'm going to make low quality copies of my clips, do my thing in ppro & ae, and when i've finished

i'll swap the names of the folders "originals" and "proxies", open the project and render out the final.

Thanks chaps.

And to those that keep saying Buy a Better Computer - you obviously dont do any *real* work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And to those that keep saying Buy a Better Computer - you obviously dont do any *real* work!

Hey, WebOfWebs

Proxy editing is a practice only required if an editing system is

incapable of a fluid editing experience with demanding media types.

As a long time professional doing 'real work', one thing I accept

is that I will need to constantly upgrade hardware... including the

expectation of completely replacing my primary editing system

every 24 to 36 months.

Saying "buy a better computer' is the reality of professional work if

one intends to maintain pace with constantly advancing capabilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 06, 2013 Mar 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess if you are self employed then how you respond to difficulties is your choice, but i come from a large companies background, and the philosophy is somewhat different. The departments budget is set and spent, and if a difficulty arises we needed to find solutions not just go shopping.

Now i suspect that most of Adobes customers cannot afford to run out and buy the latest tech each time a project jumps in complexity, so i am surprised there isnt more info about workarounds (on adobe websites). but i now see many more websites that do discuss exactly this.

We recently had the jump to HD, and then a renewed interest in 3d, and now theres talk of higher framerates, and next... theres always a next. So if you really are a professional then you are used to fiding solutions to get the job done.

As the competition do not have an 'issue' with proxies, nor do movie studios, then neither shall I, and if it allows me to get a job done, i'll use it. I certainly wont cry about hardware just because Adobe fans say its wrong.

But dont waste time arguing the point. time will prove us 'proxy users' are on the right path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can you afford the Adobe software if you cannot afford to get a new computer every 3 years?

I hope the folks at Adobe don't pay much attention to your comments. I know I couldn't if I owned Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow!

just wow!

anyone not appreciating the diversity of life (and how people live) should steer clear of trying to be creative (and using creative tools).

again wow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

medeamajic wrote:

How can you afford the Adobe software if you cannot afford to get a new computer every 3 years?

I hope the folks at Adobe don't pay much attention to your comments. I know I couldn't if I owned Adobe.

Thanks not a very well thought out argument.  Perhaps people can't afford a new computer 'because' they spent the money buying adobe software

Seriously, we're using proxy editing a lot.  Not because Premiere Pro can't handle playing clip natively, but because it can't handle playing lots of clips natively in a multicam, or when adding lots of effects etc.   And as we transition more and more in to 4K source footage then proxy is even more important.

And no, we're not using totally out of date gear either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 07, 2013 Mar 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ExactImage wrote:

medeamajic wrote:

Thanks not a very well thought out argument.  Perhaps people can't afford a new computer 'because' they spent the money buying adobe software

Seriously, we're using proxy editing a lot.  Not because Premiere Pro can't handle playing clip natively, but because it can't handle playing lots of clips natively in a multicam, or when adding lots of effects etc.   And as we transition more and more in to 4K source footage then proxy is even more important.

And no, we're not using totally out of date gear either.

I am not doubting the mulitcam may need to be revamped but the Muliticam Feature is different than editng proxy files. The Mulitcam feature in Premiere Pro 6.0 may not tap into the CUDA cores that well. It would be wise for Adobe to make the Mulitcam feature work better with the CUDA technology.  Having said that I would like to think mulitcam would give you the option to view the 4k source clips at 1/4 resolution. If it cannot that would make for a good feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently had the jump to HD, and then a renewed interest in 3d, and now theres talk of higher framerates, and next... theres always a next. So if you really are a professional then you are used to fiding solutions to get the job done

A fair point, but it's not uncommon when updating your work flow to the next level to also update the necessary equipment to handle that work flow.  It'd be foolish to upgrade from DV to AVCHD and expect your older Core 2 processor to keep up.

Personally, I'd prefer Adobe keep on it's current path and find ways to make editing smoother for the native media.

(And of course, it's to everyone's benefit for camera makers to stop using folder structures and simply create one uniquely named, self-contained MXF file for every clip.  Doing that would obviate any need for Adobe to invest limited resources on developing a proxy work flow.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the troubles is that the cost of the cameras has come down so much. A SD digi beta was £30,000ish now 4k sports cameras are £500, its hard to justify spending £000s on new PCs and the associated hd monitoring just to edit this material.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines