• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Large merged WebHelp system takes forever to display TOC/Index in Firefox

Mar 07, 2013 Mar 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We are using a merged Web Help system (RoboHelp 9). There are about 20 modules, many of which are optional.  In Internet Explorer 9, it works fine and displays the TOC/Index within 10 seconds.  But in Firefox 19.0, it takes a full 3 minutes to display the TOC/Index. Obviously this is unacceptable.  One of our doc people did some tests and determined that when you have a merged TOC structure, but one or more of the merged projects are not actually present, Firefox seems to spend a long time waiting for it to appear.  Eventually just displays the TOC without the missing projects (as it should).

Does anyone have suggestions on how to mitigate this?

Also - and I think this is an entirely different problem - I can't get the Chrome browser to display anything except the help toolbar, even for a single (non-merged) help module.  Is there a security setting that I'm missing?

thanks,

Jenny Hecker

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Chrome "security fix" isn't addressed until RH10 - see grainge.org for workarounds for earlier versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Firefox: make sure all child projects are available. Use Conditional Build Tags in your table of contents to exclude the child projects you don't need for different outputs.

You can even specify several Single Source Layouts to create multiple WebHelp outputs for different uses.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willem, doesn't that defeat the usefulness of the parent module in cases where some of the child modules might be installed later, for separately purchased add-ons to the application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see where Willam is going by suggesting different outputs with different combinations but I'm hoping that can be kept in reserve.

From the look of it, you are testing the help when it is installed locally rather than on a server. That could impact results. Try generating  the parent first and then all of the children to a web server location. Once they have all been generated, then try removing different child folders.

I recall seeing this issue before quite a while back and I think it was when not all the children had been generated once.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, I found something on the grainge site about the Search feature not working in Chrome, but my problem is bigger than that - no content displays in either pane... Just the toolbar. If there's another bug fix that addresses that, I couldn't find it. Help?

Thanks,

Jenny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "fix" caused all local help content in Chrome to be suppressed. It comes from Chrome not allowing you to open local HTML files. The workarounds are to move the help to a real web server; set up a fake web server locally; or to launch Chrome with a command line tag to allow local file access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Peter and Jeff,

You're right - I was checking the help locally.  Using a web server immediately fixed the problem with Chrome.  I still have a problem with the timing on Firefox, but I will try Peter's suggestion and let you know.

Again, thanks to everyone!

Jenny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp