• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a fixed Layout ePub?

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2013 Mar 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create a photography book to sell as an ePub and on the kindle store - I've made plenty of iBooks and published them in the iBookstore - unfortunately one has recently been rejected because of Apple's censorship rules. My books look exactly the way i want them to in iBooks and want to recreate them as closely as possible to sell as mobi and epubs. I've noticed that unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a program similar to iBooks Author for making epubs... I've tried InDesign CS6 for epubs but moved to Pages as I thought it might be simpler.

So far I can't find any thing that explains step by step how to make fixed Layout epubs - in any program- usually I use Lynda.com but they only have fixed layout epubs for the iBookstore. My knowledge on inDesign and iBooks author is quite good but my knowledge on HTML is limited. Is this accomplishable?

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Mar 09, 2013 Mar 09, 2013

Here are some links that might be useful for you to get you started with fixed-layout ePubs:

How to Create Fixed-Layout iBooks by R. Scot Johns

Field Guide to Fixed Layout for E-Books a free ebook on the ins and outs of Fixed Layout EPUB (I found it only today so haven't read it yet)

EPUB 3 Fixed-Layout Documents

ePubCrawler -- InDesign to Fixed Layout EPUB converter. (a tool for converting InDesign documents to fixed-layout ePub. It worked very well for me: I had to make only small adjustments to C

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2013 Mar 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very new territory and the field is changing rapidly. Anne-Marie's title on Lynda.com is the only one I know of. It looks like you've watched it already.

As far as I know, you DO need to know about HTML to accomplish Fixed Layout EPUBs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Mar 09, 2013 Mar 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some links that might be useful for you to get you started with fixed-layout ePubs:

How to Create Fixed-Layout iBooks by R. Scot Johns

Field Guide to Fixed Layout for E-Books a free ebook on the ins and outs of Fixed Layout EPUB (I found it only today so haven't read it yet)

EPUB 3 Fixed-Layout Documents

ePubCrawler -- InDesign to Fixed Layout EPUB converter. (a tool for converting InDesign documents to fixed-layout ePub. It worked very well for me: I had to make only small adjustments to CSS styles).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2013 Mar 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great resources, Kasyan. The best is the one you found yesterday, "Field Guide to Fixed Layout for E-Books". It's up-to-date and includes information about different EPUB/eBook readers. I've just bookmarked that source for the next time we get a query about Fixed Layout eBooks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2014 Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our first support for EPUB3 Fixed Layout is now available with the 2014 (June 18th) update to Creative Cloud.

Download the trial and let us know how we can improve it.

Douglas Waterfall

Architect, InDesign Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Douglas,

How do this?

ID >> PDF export:

Capture d’écran 2014-06-23 à 20.32.27.png

ID >> Fixed layout epub export:

Capture d’écran 2014-06-23 à 20.29.22.png

Thanks in advance! [Soon, another problem …!]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Moved to InDesign EPUB forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines