• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best Monitor for Photo editing?

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2012 Sep 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I about to invest new 24' monitor but still can't decide which monitor should I get. Can anyone recommend that doesnt break the bank? I'm freelance photographer and most of my work more to portrait and wedding and I only do for part time. Here's my shot list

1. Dell U2412M
  2. HP ZR2440w
  3. Asus PA248Q
  4. Dell U2410

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 22, 2012 Sep 22, 2012

I assume the OP is referring to use of wide gamut monitor with LR, so relevant.

If you are printing to a wide gamut inkjet printer (6 or more inks) than using a wide gamut display will be helpful. For web, screen, and printing to standard CMYK  4-ink printers it won't provide much better color accuracy than an sRGB gamut display. With LR4's Soft Proof feature you can get a very accurate onscreen rendering of what the final print output will look like using the target printer and paper profile.

Wi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first two are not wide gamut, if that matters to you.

The Asus would seem to be the least expensive of the wide gamut monitors.

The Dell U2410 is a highly respected wide gamut monitor. I like mine and would

buy it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this a Lightroom question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume the OP is referring to use of wide gamut monitor with LR, so relevant.

If you are printing to a wide gamut inkjet printer (6 or more inks) than using a wide gamut display will be helpful. For web, screen, and printing to standard CMYK  4-ink printers it won't provide much better color accuracy than an sRGB gamut display. With LR4's Soft Proof feature you can get a very accurate onscreen rendering of what the final print output will look like using the target printer and paper profile.

Wide gamut displays will not render color properly with most web browsers and other non-color managed applications. Because of this I would also suggest using a dual display setup with one sRGB gamut standard display and a wide gamut display.

Also be aware that 10bit/color will provide better rendering of fine gradients on wide gamut displays, but LR currently only supports 8 bit/color display output. Only PS CS4-CS6 support 10bit color display output. You also need to be using a graphics adapter that supports 10/bit color, and one that is compatible with PS.

If you don't fully understand the differences between a wide gamut and standard gamut (sRGB) display I suggest doing some research. Also search this forum and the Web for reviews on displays you are considering. There have been numerous issues with calibrating certain model wide gamut displays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks kwdaves and trshaner for the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2012 Oct 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trshaner wrote:

Also be aware that 10bit/color will provide better rendering of fine gradients on wide gamut displays, but LR currently only supports 8 bit/color display output. Only PS CS4-CS6 support 10bit color display output. You also need to be using a graphics adapter that supports 10/bit color, and one that is compatible with PS.

And Windows OS. No full 10-bit path support on Mac (thanks Apple).

If you don't fully understand the differences between a wide gamut and standard gamut (sRGB) display I suggest doing some research.

Agreed. Here's a pretty exhaustive video on the subject:

High resolution:http: //digitaldog.net/files/ColorGamut.mov

Low Res (YouTube): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0bxSD-Xx-Q

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2013 Mar 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With regard to trshaner's comprehensive answer above, is a dual monitor setup really necessary to look at how sRGB images are rendered? If you're soft-proofing anyway, can't you soft-proof using sRGB as the profile rather than your physical output profile?

I think you can but I'm happy to be corrected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2013 Mar 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't edit above post as on iPad but meant to add the question as to whether it's not possible to do that on a wide gamut monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2013 Mar 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can soft proof to sRGB on a wide gamut monitor. The point of having a secondary "sRGB" monitor is to check how the images look in a non color managed environment. With Lightroom or Photoshop that point is moot.

---

Although I see this is an old thread revived, I'd like to add something to the original question. In terms of a monitor's usability, the sad state of affairs is that the really important properties of a monitor are never measured, and not part of the official specifications. First among these is panel uniformity. You'd think that was a given, but it's not.

The Dell U2410 and the infamous red/green issue is already mentioned. I got one of those too, and returned it within 24 hours. It still amazes me that they even thought they could get away with it - the thing was essentially an expensive doorstop right out of the box. Dell got an enormous amount of bad press over this, but it wasn't just the 2410, the whole Ultrasharp line was basically a lottery. When pressed, a Dell representative on their forums admitted that they only measured the central spot of the screen, and if that was within spec, they shipped it. (And of course it isn't just Dell, that's only an example. Apple Cinema displays - and presumably iMacs - are reported affected by this too).

The thing is that IPS panels (and wide gamut backlights) are pretty expensive compared to ordinary TN panels to begin with, and the target market is pretty small as it is. So to sell a "reasonably priced" IPS monitor like the U2410, some corners have to be cut. Tight tolerances are first to go. Actually, the panel in the U2410 is the same used by Eizo in their 24" Color Edge models at four times the price.

Which isn't to say that all reasonably priced IPS monitors are bad. Most of them are perfectly fine - it's just that you have to be careful, and if possible try it before you buy. The risk of getting a lemon is definitely there.

So given all that, I would say that wide gamut or standard gamut is way down on the list of priorities. Get a monitor that is basically healthy, that's the main thing. A good standard gamut monitor beats a wide gamut one that turns out to be practically useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

beau_nash wrote:

With regard to trshaner's comprehensive answer above, is a dual monitor setup really necessary to look at how sRGB images are rendered? If you're soft-proofing anyway, can't you soft-proof using sRGB as the profile rather than your physical output profile?

I think you can but I'm happy to be corrected.

I agree 100% with twenty_one. It makes no sense to buy an "inexpensive" wide gamut monitor that has issues for photo editing. It's a case of more (i.e. wide gamut) is not better if you lose color accuracy.

The reason I suggested two displays (wide + sRGB gamut) is that non-color managed applications will not display properly on a wide gamut monitor:

http://www.gballard.net/photoshop/srgb_wide_gamut.html

You can also use a single (one) monitor that integrates the LUT internally for color calibration purposes, such as this one:

http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/p241w-bk-sv

All displays that utilize an internal LUT have user-selectable color modes, including a calibrated wide gamut mode and sRGB mode. When working in non-color managed applications like Microsoft Office and Internet Explorer you switch the display's color mode to sRGB. Someday all applications will be color managed, but for now this is the only workaround if you want to use just one (1) display.

NEC and Eizo have the best wide gamut display solutions for this purpose, but they are expensive. If this is outside your budget I agree with twenty_one – A standard sRGB gamut monitor that provides good color accuracy will give you better results with LR and PS than a mediocre wide gamut display.

"Pay your money, but make your choice wisely!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks both. A useful discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Todd, Ive had an M1 MBP for 6 months and need a monitor for it as I want to switch my work flow over from  my 2017 iMac. Ive been researching for a screen on an off the whole time and its been driving me crazy. I sell ocean landscape prints mainly and I out source the printing. Im used to what my iMac edits reproduce but I would like to go more acurate. Anyway, its been a decade since your post here and Im wondering if any of your views or recomendations have changed? lately Ive been on the fence between a Dell UP2720Q & a BenQ SW271c because I dont really want to go all in on an Eizo or NEC (even though I'd like to). I have to make a decision soon, its killing me! Im wondering if there are better quality options in the cheaper AdobeRGB range now. Im even more confused after reading your comments on bad AdobeRGB screen colour and uniformity and the lucky dip of getting a good one. Scary!  (I hear Dell's support is practically non existent as well) And that it might just be worth getting a good sRGB gamut monitor instead, like you say. But what one? Couldnt be any worse than my imac. Also have questions on 4K vs 2K, scaling issues, etc. One sRGB and one AdobeRGB sounds like a good idea, or an single internal LUT option but I guess thats a top of the heap screen. Great answers by yourself and D Fosse on this post. So hard to find honest and accurate info out there. Thanks - Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More important even than the monitor is that you get a display calibrator. None of those monitors will be correct if you don't calibrate and profile it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 24, 2012 Sep 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pharcazell,

I own the Dell U2410 and I'm happy with it! Had to return the first one cause of the red/green color cast problem (browse the web for that problem). Dell's service was fast and easy even though I purchased from a re-seller.

I use the monitor together with a spyder 3 and wysiwyg is working with my Epson R2880!

Oli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Asus PA248Q is good for photography.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines