• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My transitions aren't applying correctly. With video explanation!

Participant ,
Aug 26, 2012 Aug 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've set the default transition as dip to black. I select some clips and apply default transitions. Only some transitions get dip to black applied to them. I have to manually drag dip to black to the other transitions. When I manually do this the transition still works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39qBzSXwwg0&feature=youtu.be

Another video. I have dip to black set at 2 seconds, center at cut. The first transition applied correctly. The second only applied for 1;16 (why?) and not centered at cut. I have to manually adjust this and it ends up working. The third transition is only 0;28 and start at cut (why???). When I manually charge it to 2 seconds center at cut it actually does become 2 seconds centered at cut. There's nothing stopping the 2 second center at cut from working, but Premiere just doesn't apply it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LBomt489cs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2012 Aug 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Centered at cut isn't working for you because you have insufficient handles. See the crosshatch pattern on your transitions? Use 'start at cut' or 'end at cut' instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For more info on Handles & Transitions, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/701768?tstart=60

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get it. There's no overlap. No handles.My issue is that for this particular transition there is no logical reason why there even needs to be handles, or overlaps. It's dip to black. I can see you needing it for something like cross dissolve, but dip to black? And as you can see from the video, dip to black still works 100% if I just go in and force it to be 2 seconds, centered at cut. I just want the first clip to fade to black and the second clip to immediately fade into view from black. No overlap necessary. In fact, there can even be a black gap of zero footage in between the clips and it shouldn't affect it, other than creating a longer transition.

I can fix this by trimming each clip by 30 frames on each end. So how do you select a bunch of clips and do this trimming all in one go? I'm not clicking on 50 clips and manually setting trim points for each clip at 30 frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the Dip-to-Black, I have never had an issue applying that Transition, even where there were no Handles, though the "location" of the Dip-to-Black is not exactly as one would expect, or experience, where you had, say two Clips, and each with full Handles.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly what I'm experiencing here and I don't understand why. Is Premiere just that dumb that it can't figure out that dip to black requires no handles, no overlap, no extra footage whatsoever? It's just fading one clip to black for 1 second and fading in the other clip from black for 1 second.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I work around this senseless limitation?

I want each clip, no matter how long, no matter how I lengthen it, cut it, etc, to fade to black for one second at the end and fade in from black for 1 second at the start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every transition to function properly needs handles. So does dip to black; no exception.

If a transition does not have handles it will duplicate still frames (diagonal strips) or set it off center. The same goes for dip to black.

Dip to black is best applied to two clips but to but as a double side transition. Dip to black does not work properly as a single sided transition.

Appling transitions: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WSE2A9B838-1422-4d8a-9A03-CFDF4332533B.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 16, 2013 Mar 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it is an older post, but I'm experiencing the same issue. Having to adjust 168 transitions manually is a p.i.t.a and I would expect a professional programm as Premier to handle it better. Ann wrote: If a transition does not have handles it will duplicate still frames (diagonal strips) or set it off center. That is fine, if it would be possible to set the default behaviour to duplicate still frames. This is what would be needed. I understand the concept behind the implementaion, but dip to black doesn't fit the usage of other transitions, therefore it is a weak implementation that doesn't address the different needs of Dip to Black. So the main question is, can the default be set to duplicate frames resp. "Center at Cut" for Dip to Black?

Adobe's explanation in Ann's link states:

The pointer changes to indicate the alignment options as you move it over the cut:

• If both clips contain trimmed frames at the cut, you can center the transition over the cut or you can align it on either side of the cut so that it either starts or ends at the cut.
  • If neither clip contains trimmed frames, the transition automatically centers over the cut and repeats frames from the first clip, or from the second clip, or from both clips, as needed to fill the transition duration. Diagonal bars appear on transitions that use repeated frames.
  • If only the first clip contains trimmed frames, the transition automatically snaps to the In point of the next clip. The transition uses the first clip’s trimmed frames for the transition and does not repeat frames from the second clip.
  • If only the second clip contains trimmed frames, then the transition snaps to the Out point of the first clip. The transition uses the second clip’s trimmed frames for the transition and does not repeat frames from the first clip.

The default duration of a transition, for either audio or video, is set to 1 second. If a transition contains trimmed frames, but not enough to fill the transition duration, Premiere Pro adjusts the duration to match the frames. You can adjust the duration and alignment of a transition after you place it.

Therefore using Ctrl+D never places the transition in the center if there are not sufficient frames after the trim. I need to click in the effects control panel and set the clip to center at cut. I normally use an AutoKey macro just to go from cut to cut using the Arrow Keys and then sending Ctrl+D to place the Dip to Black transition. Therefore I would like to have the default behaviour set to "Center at Cut". Is there any way to do this?

I found out that clicking the Ctrl key changes the duration of a left or right placed transition to the full default duration instead of limiting it to the flesh of the clip. I didn't find any key combination that forces the tranistion to be placed centered.

Marcus

Message was edited by: Marcus Koch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to have the default behaviour set to "Center at Cut". Is there any way to do this?

Yes.  Make sure both clips have handles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim, your answer isn't very helpful. The clip is as it is. You can't go back to the videographer and ask to add extra frames.

I'm working on a video notebook of a Dance Camp. Each instructor demonstrated the steps and the videographer who recorded pressed stop after each class material. Sometimes the clip just doesn't have more frames. They are not needed, because we dip to black each time. It may be a fact that Premiere needs the frames, but it is also a fact that it is a pure implementation. A common transition like "Dip to Black" should work in a way as it is used the most.

In general a keycode is missing to force to center the same way as Ctrl forces full length to the left or the right. It is just an oversight in my opinion, but it should have been improved long time ago. Hey, but it took Premiere years to get a better editing with the keyboard. I just hope the famous one day for fixing the little annoyances in each version cycle would be a week at least.

Marcus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I didn't want to adjust more than 160 transitions manually and Premiere doesn't have a "Dip to Mute" audio transition either I came up with a workaround:

Instead of using "Dip to Black" you can use "Cross Disolve" that you attach left and right of the clips. If you are using the mouse you need to press the Ctrl key to force the full length transition in case you don't have enough handles.

Since I want to fully use keyboard shortcuts to automate the process using AutoHotkey all my single clips are trimmed in the trim window, numbered in order so I can just drag them all together at once to the timeline. Then I run the macro using the follwing keys to be sent.

1. One time go into edit mode: Either use T and then four times Shift + T to go into right trim in mode on the nearest edit point or create a keyboard shortcut for "Select Nearest Edit Point as Trim In" In Preferences Keyboard Shortcuts and use this shortcut.

2. Ctrl + Arrow Right to trim one frame. This needs to be done so that teh default transitions are applied to the end of each clip.

3. Crtl + D to apply Cross Desolve (Default) and Ctrl + Shift + D to apply Contant Power for the audio track to the left clip

4. Arrow Right to move editing point one frame

5. Again Crtl + D to apply Cross Desolve (Default) and Ctrl + Shift + D to apply Contant Power to the right clip

6. Ctrl + Left Arrow to trim one frame left and close the gap again.

7. Loop with Arrow Down to step 2 until done.

In my AutoHotkey macro I use an inputbox to enter the number of  edits for the loop. Now I just call the macro enter the number and in a few seconds all transitions are placed.

I'm using a similar strategy to automatically render each section as a separate clip for the DVD authoring. This way I can easly change a clip and markers are automaticlly created in Encore when the clips are dropped in the timelline. To be more flexible and have more control over the sections I'm using markers in Premiere. In the macro I then use Shift + M instead of the Down Arrow. Work that lastest for three days is now done in a few minutes. I also created a programm that creates my titles from a text file in a second.

I would like to see this kind of support from Premiere out of the box. Call me old fashined, but any tool should support what we need to do instead of having us to tweak the problem to make it fit the tool.

Marcus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that you will want to do it this way, but I often want to use dip to black and I sometimes run into the same problem. I usually find it easier to drop a two second black video clip with the opacity parameter keyframed from zero to 100% and back to zero. I press the "down" key to get to the next cut, type -15 to get to where I want the clip to start and paste in the clip. I then move on to the next cut and repeat as often as necessary. I get into a rhythm.

Also, it isn't a straight zero to 100%. It is a curve that eases into the black and eases out.

Since I keep a sequence handy in a project that has all of my favorite resources, like black video as described above, the white version of the same thing, my logo, my opening audio, stuff like that. I import that project into every project I create. So all I have to do is find the black video, copy it, and paste away to my hearts content.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim, your answer isn't very helpful. The clip is as it is. You can't go back to the videographer and ask to add extra frames.

Not the videographers fault at all.

You ask the editor to work within  the frames that the videographer supplys.  

The cameraman usually rolls before the wanted  action begins and stops after the action finishes.

If the editor wants a transition..it is the editors job to make the IN and Out  edit points within the ends of the source clip. ie inside at least equal to the length of the transition.

SImply put...you dont apply transitions to the full duration of the source clip and it is up to the editor to choose the essential action in the clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand how you video editors can't just sit back and see it for what it is - a senseless design flaw.

You need handles for transitions that require clips to overlap such as cross-dissolve. Well, duh. And even this shouldn't require handles if there was just a "duplicate frames by default" option.

Handles should not be necessary for transitions such as dip to black because overlapping clips is not required.

This is Adobe being lazy and imposing a blanket requirement on two very different transition classes, one that requires overlap and another that doesn't. The end result is this requirement being logical for one class but completely senseless, irritating, and unnecessary for the other class.

Us editors get the shaft because then we have to work within the limitations of the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So are you saying that "Dip to Black" is an effect that does NOT end at CUT by Default?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Mar 17, 2013 Mar 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the Dip to Black does not need an overlap. No handles required at all.

However, the error message still pops up. Test it for yourself. It is a bug.

It is obvious that the frames are not repeating because they don't need to, the message is wrong and the transition area is incorrectly marked as needing handles.

I don't know when the bug started, but it should be reported.

My report looks like this:

******BUG******

Dip to Black and Dip to White transitions shows that there is insufficient media but the transition does not require handles.

Steps to reproduce bug:

1. Put two clips on a sequence without trimming either.

2. Apply the Dip to Black or Dip to White transition to center of the cut.

Results:The Insufficient Media window appears and the stripes through the transition in the timeline appear.

Expected results:

Dip to Black merely fades to black at the end of a clip and fades up from black at the beginning of the next. No overlap is required.

Please eliminate the error message and other indications when using transitions that do not require handles.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe that people still have trouble understanding this.

Break down the dip to black transition into fundamentals.

All it does is take one clip and fade it out into black.

Then it takes the second clip and fades it into view *from* black.

No overlap needed. No handles needed. Hell, the two clips don't even have to be joined together for this transition to still work properly. It's that simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I just said that.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wasn't responding to your particular post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally understand what you are saying and understand that no overlap or handles are required for a Dip to B or W.. but was trying to get it clarified in a simple manner.

There is  a flaw in the instance when 2 clips are butted together and one applies a DIP. 

The flaw is that an error message is invoked and it should be an option message.  

By default it should be End at Cut or Start at Cut.

The problem with that though would be ...how would it know?

Adobe could program it as  separate effects:  Dip to Black Start, Dip to Black End  ( same for Whites)

But pPrefereable would be an Option invokes offering . "At Start" or "At End of Cut".

The easy work around is set to clips on separate layers and the End or Start at Cut automatically applies by default.  ( A/B or checkerboard them)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uh, Craig? Now you have confused me.

If I put two clips, untrimmed, so no handles, on the timeline, and drop a Dip To Black transition on the cut, it takes it. It complains about it but it takes it - centered on the cut. And it works. It just complains. But it works. No "At Start" or "At End" needed. I moved the error message closer to the timeline to put it into one screen shot, but you can see that it is centered on the cut.

Capture.JPG

And when I play the timeline back, the clips do not repeat frames. I have to watch carefully in the darker frames but as far as I can tell, the motion is still smooth. (I changed videos since I decided to show you an  example and the one I did the screen shot for had a child in it). I extended the Dip to Black so you could see that it got darker and darker and then lighter and lighter but no frames repeated.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 18, 2013 Mar 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fuzzybabybunny wrote:

I can't believe that people still have trouble understanding this.

Break down the dip to black transition into fundamentals.

All it does is take one clip and fade it out into black.

Then it takes the second clip and fades it into view *from* black.

No overlap needed. No handles needed. Hell, the two clips don't even have to be joined together for this transition to still work properly. It's that simple.

When you drag each clip separately to the timeline you can place the clips on two different video tracks and then apply "Dip to Black" or even "Cross Disolve" (when there is no other clip or image beneath). I have more than 150 clips for a video notebook. They are numbered and after I adjusted the trims in the monitor I just drag them all together on the timeline having them lined up correctly. I now would need to drag each second clip up on another video track. Too much hassle. If "Dip to Black" would work correctly the next step would be easy. Therefore I'm using my workaround to trim one clip by one frame to get the clips separated, apply the Dip To Back or Cross Disolve on each side and then trim back. It is more steps, but I can automate them with AutoHotkey and add the fade for the audio, too.

Since there is no "Dip to Mute" audio transition in Premiere the only solution is to apply "Contant Power" on each clip or use volume handles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you absolutely sure you need to do that?

On my PC, I can drop the Dip to Black as shown above and it works. Sure the program complains, but it does NOT repeat frames. Have you tried to do what I showed you in post #21?

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven, I think that your lack of repeated frames in your post #21 is down to it being a fade to black - if you did this for a cross-dissolve, you would have repeated frames if there were no handles.

In a fade-to-black the incoming clip fades to black before the cut, and the outgoing clip fades from black after the cut, so no handles are required.

But with a dissolve the incoming clip must have frames available at the start of the transition all the way to the cut , and the outgoing clip must have frames available from the cut all the way to the end of the transition.  If the clips do not have these handles, then Premiere will repeat frames to cover the transition.

If there are part handles, then part of the dissolve will be correct but part will have repeat frames - this will be shown by partial hatching at he end(s) of the transition marker on the timeline.  If you drop a transition onto the cut in this situation, it seems to settle in different positions across the cut depending on the line of approach when you drag it.  You may have to double-click on the transition to open it in the effects panel and adjust the positioning in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines