Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Office 2013 Support on Robohelp 10

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2013 Feb 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All ,

I have been using robohelp for a little while now great product....

We have recentley upgraded to Office 2013 and it seems that Robohelp 10 does not support output to Word when Office 2013 is used - ( Printed Document output  works "Most" of the time on Office 2010)

Other than rolling back to 2010 (my current solution )  has anyone else come across a way of making Robohelp 10 work with Word 2013 -

If Adobe are looking at this - are there any plans to release updates that will ensure compatiblity ?

Many Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2013 Feb 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Word 2013 is not supported. I run Word 2010 next to Office 2013 and Word import/linking works while Word export seems to have broken. So the only way for now is to downgrade to Word 2010 and donā€™t use Word 2013 at all.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2013 Feb 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the work around -

Rather than clicking right click "Generateā€ on Printed Documentation

Right click and click properties and generate from there.

Works perfectly with 2013.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2013 Feb 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's bizarre as both options invoke the same screen.

If anyone else finds the same works for them, please post here.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 05, 2013 Feb 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'll be... Confirmed!

Set up: Win 7 x64 with Word 2010 x86 and Office 2013 x86.

-> Double click layout: no go.

-> Using batch generate: no go.

-> Right click SSL and select properties -> first run gives a macro error. Second run works perfectly.

Amazing šŸ™‚

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I can validate this works. I completely uninstalled Office 2010, installed Office 2013.

1. Double-clicking Printed Documentation in RH10 throws an error message that a supported version of Microsoft Word does not exist.
  2. Instead, right-click Printed Documentation and select Properties from the fly-out menu.
  3. Complete as usual and the Word documents get output.

Amazing. Based on prior experience, Adobe would release a .5 RoboHelp "upgrade" for the new Word version and soak us $300 for it (and not fix bugs)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already fired off an email to Adobe about this issue. I can do no more other than apply the lessons I have been given about nagging after being married for 40 years!

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 14, 2013 Mar 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone I am new to RoboHelp and to the Adobe forum so I appreciate your patience. I have Windows 8 64 bit, RoboHelp 10 and the new Windows Home Premium 365 version 2013. When I try to generate a Printed using either of the methods listed above, fly in menu or Properties, I get this error first:

The version of MicrosoftĀ® Word you are using has some known limitations with documents that contain a large number of list items (~1500). To avoid this problem, please download the latest Office 2000 service release (SR-2 or later). For more details, please see the online Help.

Followed by a mesage that "A supported version of Microsoft Word does not exist. Please install Microsoft Word 2000 or newer.

Note that within my Properties settings I changed the output to PDF to try and get around the Word situation but it still throws the same error.

Thoughts? Thanks much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please confirm that you have tried generating the printed output by using the single source layout Properties route mentioned earlier in this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michelle, you may have pushed the boundaries of the best exotic marigold trick too far using 365. I've validated the Word 2013 trick works on two separate Windows 8, 64 bit computers--if you're not able to get beyond the first message you received, you'll probably have to wait for Adobe's (usually) value-added support for Word 2013/365.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That message is one that applied to an old version and as Rh does not officially support Word 2013, it is throwing that error.

You say you get the error first but not whether it then fails to go on or it starts to work happily. If the latter, just ignore the message. That is what we all did when the message was genuine.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for their responses, I apologize for not being clear in my first post. Hoping that one of the earlier posts would answer my issue I stepped through the Properties menu option from Printed Documentation and received the "list items" error first, then the "not supported, please install 2000 or greater" error. And unless something is happening in the background the process stops at that point and no document is generated. I attached the step by step Properties settings if that helps.

My ultimate goal was to find a format that printed a PDF document with a TOC that would provide the user with the ability to jump from the TOC into the specific area of the document they needed to view. If it helps that is the context around why I was trying to go with a Printed Document in the first place.

printed_doc_1.pngprinted_doc_2.pngprinted_doc_3.pngprinted_doc_4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you also try deselecting PDF and generating a Word document first?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a very interesting question. After posting to the team I went to my older laptop that has Windows 7 and Office 365 and tried the same steps, this time selecting the Word option. I got the "list items" error and then a prompt to cancel or continue. I clicked Continue and viola, my Word document appeared. But when I try the same thing on my Windows 8 machine that has Office 365 installed with the Word doc option selected it bombs with the two errors in a row with nothing generated. So PDF doesn't work and neither does Word on the Windows 8 machine. And unfortunately I downloaded RH10 as a trial on my Windows 7 netbook and found out quickly that it needed more horsepower, hence the new machine and Windows 8. So I'm basically back to where I'm started.

In the meantime I hooked up with a Microsoft Support Person via Chat who did a remote connect. She did her absolute best to try and install / reinstall 365 but it hasn't helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michelle, on your Win8 machine:

1. Right-click Printed Documentation.
  2. Select Properties from the fly-out menu.
  3. Select the Generate Word Doc.
  4. Select DOCX in the drop-down list as the Word file format.
  5. Select Save and Generate.

If that works, you can fine-tune until it doesn't. If it doesn't work, you're probably stuck waiting and waiting and waiting for Adobe to provide the incremental upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same error   Not sure I love the sound of the stuck waiting. And the idea of using my little Win 7 netbook to run RH10 makes me crazy. Hopefully someone will have an answer for me but it doesn't look good......  Thank you all so much for your help. This has been a positive experience and I shall return with MORE questions soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry it doesn't work for you, Michelle--it was worth a try. The other option to waiting is reinstalling Word 2010 (or even 2003) if you have it. 2010 works fines with RH10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct, I just came to the same conclusion (sadly). Luckily I was on the trial of 365 so nothing to "undo", just cancel and go backwards!

Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 15, 2013 Mar 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flaven,

I had a thought as I was rereading these posts. I am using Office 2013 in that newfangled 365 "cloud" format. But what if I used the traditional install of Office 2013 on my Windows 8 machine. Do you think I'd still have an issue?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2013 Mar 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the cloud version just give you access to cloud storage or are you actually running Word via the Cloud? I have 365 on some machines but Word is installed in my case.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 16, 2013 Mar 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The short answer is no, I am not running Word via the cloud because I have access to all of the Office programs when I am offline. However once I am online I can save items to my hard drive or on my SkyDrive which is Microsoft's storage cloud. Since I have two machines, one 7, one 8, the draw of 365 was that I could move documents, pictures, etc... easily between the two.

One thing I did notice is that if you look at my product registry Microsoft Word is not listed as one of my programs - i.e. I can't click on it and uninstall. It only lists one line called Microsoft Office 365 Home Premium. Could that be why RH10 doesn't know its installed?

But the registry looks exactly the same on my Win 7 machine and I can run the Printed Documentation function which started this whole discussion. Could it just be a Win 8 problem?

I'm definitely not opposed to going to 2010 but I thought if 2013 worked with RH10, minus some of the quirks, I would go with it. But if the group thinks that 2013 + RH10 + Win 8 = eminent danger, I'll back down to 2010 to alleviate one of my 3 headaches

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2013 Mar 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I am not sure why the Properties route is not working for you as it is working for others.

Have you tried both DOC and DOCX and without the PDF option beng selected? Beyond that it may be a case of reverting to Word 2010.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me either, the only thing I can think of is Windows 8 being the issue. That's why I wanted to know if anyone thought installing the traditional 2013 (versus the new 365 cloud version) would be better. Flaven's reponse of using 2013 - not 365 - seemed to indicate that Windows 8 and 2013 can play nice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michelle, it might be worth a try to install the desktop version of Office 2013. The 365 Clod...er..."Cloud" version spends a lot of time wanting you to save your files in the ether--maybe that is what is tripping things up. Let us know if that makes a difference for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2013 Mar 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you set the macro security level to Low?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp