• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are the bullet symbols changing when I generate a PDF?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I generate a pdf my bullet symbols change from a black diamond to a 'u' symbol. Why?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Adobe Framemaker 9.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's you default printer in FM? It should be the Adobe PDF printer instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I "save as pdf", I don't print the docs as PDF to generate them. Would this be the cause of the symbol changing?    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe - try sending it to the Adobe PDF printer instance and see if it makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What font are you using for the bullets? Or are you just specifying the bullet symbol in your body font?

For FM sessions, it's highly recommended to have the Adobe PDF printr instance set as your default - as Jeff suggests. You can easily have this done automatically using Sundorn's SetPrint utility (freebie - see: http://www.sundorne.com/FrameMaker/Freeware/setPrint.htm )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use dingbats. Adobe PDF is installed as my default printer, it doesn't make a difference.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you specified the location of your DIngbats font in Distiller? Also what joboptions are you using to create the PDF? The option should trigger a failure if a font can't be embedded. You should also set the Dingbats to "Always embed" in the Fonts option of your Distiller joboptions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines