• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has the clip marker problem been resolved in Premiere cs6?

Contributor ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has the clip marker problem been resolved in Premiere CS6.  As of early July, it was not!  Navigating, synchronizing clips seems impossible.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jul 02, 2015 Jul 02, 2015

Not sure if this is still an issue for you... but you have to uncheck the:

Preferences > Media > Write clip markers to XMP

You may have to remake those markers once it is unchecked so the setting will apply to the second set of footage that is being referenced.

See here:

Premiere Pro Clip Markers – Solved! - Creative Impatience

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's been no change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rmartin215 wrote:

Has the clip marker problem been resolved in Premiere CS6.  As of early July, it was not!  Navigating, synchronizing clips seems impossible.

Can you explain your exact problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 14, 2012 Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A in CS5, I would like to synchronize clips SIMPLY.  Put a clip marker on each, and either synchronize manually, or by "synchronize."  Is this ever going to be possible again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2013 Mar 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd just like to add my voice to the chorus here - namely that Marker functionality for CS6 is extremely lacking, and has made my workflow for various tasks much longer and more tedious.

In my case I'm trying to match professional footage of a concert with audience-submitted cell phone footage. The pro footage can't be synced with the non-pro footage via Pluraleyes because the cell phone audio is way too high to be analyzed properly. Hence I need to manually sync, which I can't do efficiently because I can't put clip markers on the pro footage once it's synced in pluraleyes and sent back into Premiere, because it only exists in a sequence.

I have no idea why Adobe would remove a function used daily by its editors, one that was simple and reliable, for no reason.

And what's puzzling is that there's been not even an acknowledgement of the issue from anyone at Adobe for 8 months.

This doesn't make any sense. Usually customer service from Adobe is much better than this. Why no action on this one issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Explain your problems with markers in this feature request form: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Sorry, that's all I can offer you.

TrueFriction wrote:

I'd just like to add my voice to the chorus here - namely that Marker functionality for CS6 is extremely lacking, and has made my workflow for various tasks much longer and more tedious.

In my case I'm trying to match professional footage of a concert with audience-submitted cell phone footage. The pro footage can't be synced with the non-pro footage via Pluraleyes because the cell phone audio is way too high to be analyzed properly. Hence I need to manually sync, which I can't do efficiently because I can't put clip markers on the pro footage once it's synced in pluraleyes and sent back into Premiere, because it only exists in a sequence.

I have no idea why Adobe would remove a function used daily by its editors, one that was simple and reliable, for no reason.

And what's puzzling is that there's been not even an acknowledgement of the issue from anyone at Adobe for 8 months.

This doesn't make any sense. Usually customer service from Adobe is much better than this. Why no action on this one issue?

BTW, if you want to add Clip Markers to clips in the Timeline, you can set a keyboard shortcut for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Kevin, I have submitted a form, let's hope your co-workers figure something out and make your life easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, I'll follow up with the team and make sure they know about these gaps in marker capability. I'm sure they already know, but I'll double check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

despite all the 'sync with markers' videos, no matter the type of marker i use, even after sync by eye, the multi-cam sourcing doesn't recognise it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What CAN you do with clip markers in CS6? Nothing it seems?? After I add a marker in a clip, it shows up visually on the Timeline, but I can't do anything with it. In the "Marker" menu, "go to next/previous marker" are grayed out. Is this the problem you are referring to, rmartin215?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is.... Multicamera is not the only reason for synchronizing.  In my case, I want to compare two or more cameras that are operating at the same time.. re to video and audio quality ..  I can synchronize by "eye" but that's not what I am paying for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has dropped the ball with clip Markers with CS6. I hope they come out with an update soon and we do not have to wait for 6.5 next spring. Adobe did a lot of wonderful things with CS6 but obviously hacked some good features that were in 5.5 in the process. Sometimes if its not broke dont fix it for the sake of fixing it.

When I installed CS6 a while ago and saw how they butchered clip markers I was shocked, I almost considered going back to 5.5 just for the clip markers. I would imagine alot of us use clips markers in daily workflows when working with alot of footage. As nice as sequence markers are that are pointless after you place one then and do a ripple edit, markers are now out of sync with footage.

So I hope Adobe corrects/repairs/upates (whatever you want to call it) at some point soon. As much as an improvements they made with the timeline and the "editing experience", for me personally, they made my editing experience tougher with the hack job they did on the clip markers.

Shane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of people have been disappointed by the way Adobe hacked the clip markers, and the moves you have to do to add the clip markers. If you type "CLIP MARKERS" in the search box you will see an endless list of forums about this issue.

You can only move a clip marker in the source monitor though, but not in the sequnce!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 25, 2012 Aug 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How a company can do things like this for their paying clients is really beyond me. Why is Adobe not listening to it's clients? Did you make a survey before taking this critical feature out? Did you have the slightest attempt to actually ask your clients if it is a good idea to remove this feature? This kind of behaviour is truly arrogant and will simply cause me to look elsewhere. And one thing is for certain: there will be no upgrade purchases for me while things like this keep happening. Read a few books about customer relations. Consistency is critical. You cannot simply take out existing features all of a sudden and expect your clients to be happy. Sorry for the rant but I'm just really frustrated with the recent Adobe upgrades. CS3 was huge, but after that there hasn't been much going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much as I hate the removal of clip marker timeline functionality, there has been a LOT going on with Premiere Pro since CS3, whose biggest claim to fame was that it was now available for Macs, but offered little improvement for the already installed Windows user base.  CS4 saw the implementation of the current user interface, a BIG improvement over CS3's separate windows.  CS5 saw the transformation to a fully native 64 bit application, which was HUGE.  It also introduced us to hardware acceleration, also HUGE.

5.5 was a minor update, whose most notable improvement was probably the Merge Clips feature for those who shoot dual system sound.

But CS6 adds a whole host of great new features which more than make up for some few drawbacks.  Things like Adjustment Layers, unlimited multicamera angles, hover scrubbing, genuine full-screen playback, Render In to Out, ALT+drag in the sequence to make a copy of a clip, Rolling Shutter repair effect, uninterrupted playback, a much improved Audio Mixer interface, multichannel audio output, adaptive audio tracks, finally a 64-bit Encore, and how can we forget Mercury Transmit, which eliminates the need to work in a third-party sequence preset when monitoring with third-party hardware.

CS6 is overall the single biggest improvement to Premiere since it went Pro!

Now that I feel I've put things back into perspective, I do agree that the removal of clip marker functionality is not a good thing, and should be restored as quickly as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can not add markers to clips on the timeline easily anymore. Why they would disable this critically useful function, who knows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, you are right and thanks for correcting my statement. I was indeed talking about the whole Adobe Creative Suite in general, not only Premiere. Maybe the recent developement of After Effects is really what is annoying me the most. I will admit that Premiere has definitely seen some great improvements since CS3.

So sorry for my rant, I was just really shocked to realize that this feature was suddenly, without warning, taken out. I don't feel it's right for a software company to do that. I would really like to ask Adobe what they think we should use instead of clip markers? Timeline markers become useless after a few ripple edits as you know. I also don't want to rename my clips in the current workflow I'm doing. How should I make notes on my clips at specific points in time? Don't you feel like the possibility to input and organize time-based information is pretty important when edits get complex? For me, this is a must-have feature for any editing system. That's why I feel so disappointed that it was removed without any alternatives.

If this thread goes like a typical thread, someone will soon tell me to file a feature request. But not even the simplest features I have requested time and time again get implemented, so it feels like a waste of time. I also feel like we should not NEED to do feature request for things that are just common sense. Someone at Adobe should have realized how important clip markers are for certain workflows. It's really beyond me how they didn't. Is anyone at Adobe actually editing things with Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Jim - I agree, CS6 did wonderful things, but Clip Markers are dreadful. Is it possible that when Adobe was working on CS6 that whatever code that goes on under the hood was inadvertantly modified and not caught before the release?

It just doesnt make sense why they would take them out. I can't see a logical reason, they didn't provide a better alternative.

And not for nothing, Kevin Monohan disappeared and never followed up?

I think Adobe is aware of the issue and that they either intentionally or unintentionally botched up Clip Markers, I hope this gets taken care of soon.

It would be nice if an Adobe rep would make a statement about the status of Clip Markers. It's not like it's one or 2 of us here that are discgruntled and Im sure they are aware of it. Someone should step up and say 'hey we made a mistake, we'll get it fixed" or "its staying the way it is and go to Media Composer because we are Adobe we can do what we want and if you don't like it tough S@#%"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Kevin Monahan - Can you please answer the question that rmartin215 asked? Is it ever going to be repaired?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 26, 2012 Aug 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a workaround for this problem?  Somebody must be doing something.  Synchronizing  by eye based on the audio or video is driving me crazy!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, you CAN add clip markers directly on a sequence. It's just not on the menus. You'll have to bind a keyboard shortcut to the "Add Clip Marker" command. It will work on a single selected clip only, not groups. Instructions here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/markers.html#id_55328

Why this feature wasn't turned on by default is beyond me, but hey, at least it can be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, that's the only thing we can still do with clip markers in the sequence.  And it's not enough.  I want to move them, clear them and navigate to them in the sequence as well, just like we used to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

Hear, hear!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had to jump in a project with CS6 where I went to go use clip markers and thought I was turning into an idiot because I couldnt find the "set next available numebred" function. And lo and behold I find out they removed it? Are you frekaing kidding me? WHY?

Seriously please anyone from Adobe give me a god's honest good reason what made you think this was a good idea?

Is this some sort of conspiracy where youre in cahoots with the people that make Pluraleyes to force us to buy their software when we need to sync audio? I mean really why can I not mark the freaking clips so i can easily sync without having to eyeball it over and over?

Wow...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 19, 2012 Oct 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VidNoob wrote:

Is this some sort of conspiracy where youre in cahoots with the people that make Pluraleyes to force us to buy their software when we need to sync audio? I mean really why can I not mark the freaking clips so i can easily sync without having to eyeball it over and over?

Wow...

You can say that again!

Watch out this video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines