Obviously this is something my friend got on his computer, which isn't
on my computer. Can he disable these things, so that it doesn't require them
in the file?

Thanks for any helps!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 117 Replies 117
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2011 Jun 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign are you using?

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bob

Thank you for answering...

InDesign 5.5 (Trial version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2012 Feb 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bob... I'm not sure if your over taxed now at this point and saving files backwards for people but Im hoping to have the same...I have 5 files and my client is kinda hoping to get some proofs soon.

Any help would be great. I could share a dropbox folder also.

Doug

HarringtonCreative

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you only have version CS5 (7.0.x), not CS5.5 (7.5.x).

CS5.5 .indd files cannot be opened in CS5. Your friend will have to export and send you a .idml file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

... no I just check my version: It's InDesign 5.5 (7.5)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but that error is indicative of trying to open a CS5.5 file using an earlier version.

Where did you check the version?

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2013 Mar 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,

I'm having a similar problem maybe you could help with? I have a (large) file that was created on a trial version of either CS5.5 or CS6 - the file is labeled as a CS5.5 on the desktop icon. I have tried to open it since then with both CS5.5 (full version) and CS6 (trial version) and get a similar plugin error for both. I have tried uploading the file to adobe creative cloud and am able to view it, which makes me think it's not the file itself that's corrupt...but not sure. Can you shed any light?

-Kristen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2013 Mar 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What plugin error are you getting?

See Adobe Forums: [Ann] Identify Your InDesign File for a script tha can identify the version for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2013 Sep 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar issue. This document was created on CS5.5 and we are attempting to access it on the same version and are having the issues listed below.

Upon opening, it says

"Missing Plug-ins

SMD Jobs Model.sdk.InDesignPlugin

SMD Imposition Model.sdk.InDesignPlugin"

! The document "Northside..." uses one or more plug-ins which are not currently available on your system. We strongly advise you not to open the document. Do you want to open anyway?

When I go to package the document, this shows up:

"This document cannot be packaged due to missing plug-ins. Please install or activate these plug-ins: SMD Jobs Model.sdk.InDesignPlugin; SMD Imposition Model.sdk.InDesignPlugin."

Computer information:
Windows 7 Professional, 2009

Service Pack 1

Intel Core i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz

4G Ram, 64 bit

Adobe InDesign CS5.5

Any help would be appreciated Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your case sounds like the file was created using some third-party plugin(s). If the file willactually open without them, you can export to .idml to remove the plugin info, then resave that as a new .indd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Gonna give that a try and get back to y'all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2014 Mar 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue and I tried this and it didn't work.  I can now only open the file by opening InDesign>new>template and then I find the document and it opens after a series of pop ups saying that I am missing plugins. If you know of anything else that may help I would greatly appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2014 Mar 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take it back I restarted everything and tried again and it worked! thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter

Could you explain how to export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guido,

Your friend would need to do that. It's under File > Export... and he'd ahve to choose Interchange (.idml) for the type of file to export.

However, if you are really running the trial of 5.5, there is something seriously wrong. Are you able tr create, save and open other files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Peter

Thank you for your hint! I will try...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2012 Oct 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Peter,

I have 2 files which I think these are newer files. Can you open these files and save them as Indesign 5.0?

greets,

Marius

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2012 Oct 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just sent you an upload link...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2012 Nov 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So. I've read through this thread, and what I've gathered is that there is no possible way to open a CS5.5 document in CS4, correct? I have a client who sent me a CS5.5 document, but I'm getting error messages, and can't open it in my CS4. Help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2012 Nov 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're dealing with client documents, you probably need to keep some semblance of currency. CS4 is long in the tooth at this point, as is CS5. You can ask your client to export the file in IDML format, and then you can read that in CS4. Alternatively, you can download the CS5.5 (or CS6) free trial and do this export yourself. Or you can supply your document to one of us here and we can do the converstion to IDML for you.

Note that new features won't be rendered properly and there is always a substantial chance of text reflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 27, 2014 Oct 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in a bind. I need to open  CS4 file and save it as an .inx so I can use it in my older version of indesign. Can you help me? One file. Pweeeeeease.

added: I have the same problem as everyone above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 07, 2011 Jun 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had the same problem. I have 5 and 5.5 on my computer. I never uninstalled 5, so the program was trying to open it with 5, therefore giving errors. Go to file, Open With and select 5.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2011 Jun 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have very similar simptoms to the ones described in the original post. However, I only have InDesign CS5 (7.0).

Here is what happened:

1. Some months ago I installed InDesign CS5.
  2. I created a new document (.indd) and everything was fine.
  3. Then for some longer time I didn't do anything with InDesign, except for allowing it to install automatic updates.
  4. Today I wanted to update the document I created earlier, but upon opening the document, InDesign tells me that the plugin "SHAREDCONTENT.RPLN" is missing. When I click OK, it then lists the following plugins that should be updated and the document won't open:
    • TEXT.RPLN
    • GENERIC PAGE ITEM.RPLN
    • GRAPHICS.RPLN
    • XML.RPLN
    • HYPERLINKS.RPLN
    • FORMFIELD.RPLN
    • DOCUMENT FRAMEWORK.RPLN
    • DYNAMICDOCUMENTS.RPLN

I checked for updates online and InDesign tells me that I have the latest version installed (7.0.4). I have Windows 7 (64-bit).

Any ideas on how to open my document? And again - I don't have CS5.5 and never had.

Thanks!

Juris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2011 Jun 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somebody opened and saved that file with CS5.5.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines