Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Choppy sound through any browser

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2013 Mar 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've been having this problem for a few good months: the sound coming out of Firefox when playing e.g. Youtube videos or MIDI files is choppy, as if only every other sample of the sound were played. This happens even when there aren't many programs opened, so likely not a performance issue.

The problem is not browser-related, as the same thing happens in Chrome and IE. I'm guessing it's from Adobe Flash Player, even though I also get choppy sound when playing sound files which I don't think play through Flash, such as this one.

Playing other sounds, e.g. MP3s using Winamp, works just fine.

I'm running Win XP 32bit on a laptop with 4GB RAM and dual core CPU. I tried to find the Flash version but I'm not sure where to look for it.

Can anyone help? Many thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2013 Mar 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I'd agree that this isn't Flash Player specific on your system, the .ogg file also has problems.  When reporting issues with video or audio, it's also helpful to get your system hardware and driver details.  Instructions for finding this information can be found here:

How do both of these video files work with Chrome?

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2013 Mar 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris, both videos sound choppy, but more so in Firefox than in Chrome.

when running dxdiag (directx 9.0c), I get the error: Problem getting extra sound info, result code = 0x80004005 (geeneric failure). Log file here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2013 Mar 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris, any more thoughts on that at all?..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2013 Apr 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

Could you please let me know if you are able to suggest anything else that I can try about this problem?

Thanks

Tudor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 02, 2013 Apr 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for the delay.  If both videos produce the same output, then the issue is not Flash related as the first video uses HTML 5 only.  Your error with the dxdiag report leads me to believe that you're having a problem with your audio drivers. 

I'd recommend trying to update your key system drivers (audio, video, and network) to see if that resolves the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines