• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE CS6: Could not convert Unicode characters (23 :: 46)

Guide ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sudenlty getting this error message.

I was importing a native XDCAM file into AE Win 7 when the error message first appeared.  Subsequent to that, merely clicking on the import button (no file selected) gives the same error message.

It seemed to "clear" by dragging an AVI file across from Bridge.  Using the same technique, I was then able to drag across the orignal XDCAM file. However, the error message reoccurs when I try to save the project.  It will not allow it.

I then opened a completed, tried and tested project - and it now gives the error message when I try to "saved as".  However, it will perform an "increment and save" without dirplaying the message.

I looked up the Adobe help - about replacing files from language folders etc, but that hasn't done the trick.  It suggested (CS3, CS4) that whatever the language txt file is in the AMT Language folder, is the one that AE was installed with.  However, EVERY lanuage txt file resides in there!  Perhaps it has changed for CS6.  I made the assumption that I would have used en_GB.txt.  Based on that assumption, I carried out the recommended procedure.  No change!

My motherboard was replaced yesterday - and I had to ask Adobe for another activation - as I didn't realise that MB replacement constituted an additional computer! Hence I didn't think to deactivate the Suite beforehand.  Could this cause the issue?

All suggestions greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Thanks for posting these comments.  I just ran into the same problem and tried the steps mentioned in other threads (for earlier versions) with no luck. It wasn't until finding this thread that I was led to realize that a peculiar character was all of a sudden added to a folder name on a removable drive I was accessing.  Might not have even noticed if I didn't know to look for that.

THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you trashed the AE prefs in between? If not, try that. also, if you replaced the mobo it may cause issues with your disk mapping on a general level du to potential differences in BIOS settings for the SATA bus. In that case you should check things in your device manager and disk management tool and run fcheck as well. Also verify your user privileges vs. file permissions. You may have some garbage there that prevents file I/O from working properly...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Mylenium

Thanks for the reply.

I have reset my preferences.  However, opening up a previous working project now returns the After Effects error:  missing data in file (33 :: 4).

I am still unable to import the original XDCAM file - message says that there is an error with the file (which opens on PP CS6).

Still cannot save a new project: repeat of unicode message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That really sounds like you have a problem with your SATA controller. If it came with a specific driver, install it. Otherwise really do verify the BIOS settings before it's eating all your data due to failed I/O operations. Also use a tool like Sysinternals System Monitor or even Win 7's own Resource Monitor to keep an eye on file operations. Something is afoot there. And really do run that fcheck/ checkdisk. As a last thing, look into your system restore settings. It's quite possible that Windows is restoring some weird stuff that may interfere with your new configuration. The same of course would be true if there is some security tool doing odd things...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mylenium.  I'll look into those issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved. 

For some obscure reason the name of the folder within which I keep my media had become corrupted  - a unicode character had embedded itself 😐

It was simply a case of changing the name.   Thanks for the steer, Mylenium.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting these comments.  I just ran into the same problem and tried the steps mentioned in other threads (for earlier versions) with no luck. It wasn't until finding this thread that I was led to realize that a peculiar character was all of a sudden added to a folder name on a removable drive I was accessing.  Might not have even noticed if I didn't know to look for that.

THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2012 Nov 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jon for your discovery! I was in the same situation and had a different character in a folder. Little things like that..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 13, 2012 Nov 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each day we all grow a little wiser :^>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2013 Mar 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not very computer literate.  i need help with this.  i have aftereffects cs6.  i have reinstalled this and updated several times.  i still get the same error message as you did here.  i dont know how to loook for a unicode character.  whehn i click on import, i just get the error.  can anyone help me please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 23, 2013 Mar 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look for characters in the file name of path that are not normal characters in the language that the application is running in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you please give me a step by step answer on how to fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> can you please give me a step by step answer on how to fix it?

1. Look for characters in your file names or paths that are not in the usual character set for the language that you're running the application in (e.g., Chinese characters in a folder name, while you're running the application in English).

2. Change them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the error message comes up as soon as i hit file import

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't open After Effects to cure this.  Go into your file browser and correct the file name from there. 

When it is free of erroneous characters, open the altered name version in After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the error is occurring before you try to import a specific file, then the offending character(s) are likely to be in the file path, including perhaps in the drive name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines