• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I decide what version of RoboHelp to use?

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2013 Mar 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been tasked with putting together the help files for the 2.0 version of our company's software.

I have RoboHelp 7.  I have the PREVIOUS current help files created in RoboHelp for version 2.1 of our software, some of which will be re-used.

I can't determine whether it was RoboHelp Word or RoboHelp HTML that was used to create the ORIGINAL help files.

How do I figure that out?  How do I import previous help files into a new project so they can be re-used or modified and then re-used?

Thanks! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2013 Mar 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp HTML projects will have an XPJ file in the root.

RoboHelp for Word projects will have an HPJ file in the root.

If you want help compatible with Chrome and other modern browsers, you need to consider an upgrade from Rh7 HTML. I am not sure if the outputs from later versions of RoboHelp for Word are compatible or whether they have been left behind. Post back if you find you are using RoboHelp for Word.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2013 Mar 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, thanks for your response!

I found a folder called 'current help files' on our network drive.  I tried right-clicking on some of these files to see if I could view either of the root files you mentioned, and I don't see either of them listed.

The person who did this work before is no longer with our company, so I don't have anyone here to ask questions of.

Any clue as to what I might be missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you might be able to use a class and some consulting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very likely, yes.  Not in the current corporate cards, however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An addendum...what is this file, e.g.?......cshdat_robohelp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of "current help files" in Windows Explorer with some expanded folders? When you click Reply in the web forum, you will see a camera icon that enables you to upload the image.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go...Help file screen shot 3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that kind of looks like output help files, not a project

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is only part of a webhelp output and useless on its own.

What you really need is access to author's machine or wherever it was backed up to. If you cannot track that down, you are going to need someone on site or via a web session to sort things out.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Certainly these are output files.

If you look at the address bar of the image, you can clearly see that they have dropped into the WHDATA folder and are viewing the XML files produced by WebHelp or FlashHelp. The start page for the project should be found in the folder just above that one. Named "latest help file".

By examining the HTML code of the files produced, it *MAY* be possible to deduce whether RoboHelp for Word or RoboHelp HTML was used to create the content. But that point is really moot as if you don't have access to the source content you are faced with reverse engineering what is there.

I believe fellow Community Professional Willam VanWeelden offers a script for sale to reverse engineer the content.

Click here for that

And fellow Community Professional Peter Grainge has a page on his site dedicated to reverse engineering.

Click here for that

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, Peter, et al...

Thank you.  I suspected these were output files.  SO far, I have been unable to find the source content files.  So reverse engineering may be in order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2013 Mar 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is highly likely they were on the PC used by the previous author. Given the work in reverse engineering webhelp, I would go for Willam's script. You do of course need the full webhelp, not just bits like you found.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, et al...

I was able to find out that the original files were created (in 2006) with RoboHelp HTML.

I am typing this from the computer used by the person who authored/updated those files.

SO far, I'm not finding anything re original files.

Would they end with a particular (ex:  .hlp) extension?

In the files referenced above, I found an Internet Explorer file that can be clicked on, and then shows the entire index/contents of the help file.

When I try to open that in RoboHelp 7 HTML, I can see the top three file folders in the screen shot I posted above (whdata, whgdata, whxdata).  When I attempt to open any of those folders in RH, it tell me they're empty.  They're not empty.

Thank you in advance for your responses!  I'm a complete newbie to this software/application (I'm sure that obvious).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Project files <> help output

You can't use help output files in your RH project without doing the reverse engineering as mentioned before.

Hopefully you can spot some .xpj files or locate a \!SSL!\ folder - that's the place where RH uses to created the various flavours of help output; backing up one level from the \!SSL!\ folder should put you in the RH project folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

THAT'S what I needed.  Thank you!

I searched our network drive for .xpf files and came up with the originally authored files!

Question:  Can I import those files into a NEW RH project?  I will want to reuse some of them, and others need to be modified for version 2.0.  I DON'T want to modify the original project files, because those files may be needed while our version 1.0 is still up and running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Personally, I think I would begin by copying the folder you found. Then open the copy of the project and rename it and modify it as desired. That would seem the most efficient route.

Also, perhaps it was a typo, but the main project file has an XPJ extension, not XPF.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I meant .xpj........ ......

I shall do as you suggest re modification of the files.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp