• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign vs. Illustrator

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2013 Mar 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company has Illustrator but I got a request for InDesign.  From the product comparision, it seems like Illustrator does everything InDesign does.  Can Illustrator be used in lieu for InDesign?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are doing anything for print or web publications longer than X number pages (artboards in Illustrator) you should consider InDesign. Both work well together--AI for illustrations, art--ID for page layout of the textual elements, bringing in the art from AI.

I have done multi-page documents in AI, but it isn't something I would like to do on a consistent basis. But it all really depends on what you are producing.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be used to make minor edits on existing Pharmaceutical Packaging Artwork that is a combination of Artwork and Text ...stuff that needs corrections, not starting from scratch.  Sounds like it would work...what do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would then just use Illustrator.

ID is really made for longer, structured documents.

Take care, Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If these are already Illy files you can’t open and edit them in InDesign.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or vice versa....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done multi-page documents in AI, but it isn't something I would like to do on a consistent basis. But it all really depends on what you are producing.

Likewise, I've done some fairly complicated illustrations using only InDesign's native illustration tools - but I'd rather eat glass professionally than do so on a regular basis.

It would be used to make minor edits on existing Pharmaceutical Packaging Artwork that is a combination of Artwork and Text ...stuff that needs corrections, not starting from scratch.  Sounds like it would work...what do you think?

Sounds to me like it's already an InDesign document, right? In which case you can't edit it in Illustrator, only in InDesign.

If I as a client asked for work to be delivered in ID and got it back in Illustrator, I'd fire the supplier. In fact, I've done so. (Well, it's not really "firing" when you say "This contractor never gets work from us ever again, as this contractor cannot read the job spec.")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm. Maybe I read it backward and it’s an ID file?

If so, I stand by answer, but would swap out Illy for ID.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will have to check, but I believe its created in ID, so it sounds like ID should be used for compatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Likewise, I've done some fairly complicated illustrations using only InDesign's native illustration tools - but I'd rather eat glass professionally than do so on a regular basis.

Yeppers.

@ ddziadiw,

You need to find out what made the packaging and go from there. Pick the appropriate software based upon that.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it seems like Illustrator does everything InDesign does

Well, that assertion isn't even close to accurate, but if the only function is packaging, Illustrator is typically the correct tool.

It's not really our place to assess the requester's judgement in this respect. I presume he/she feels justified in making the request, and should get a chance to at least state the reason(s) for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines