• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stroke path is not working [2013]

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2013 Mar 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Things have changed since 2013 and this thread is now locked.
Please start a new post if you have a similar question.

Hello everyone,

I am using Photoshop CS6. I am not in quickmask, I am using the essentials pallet I am creating a path not a shape, and I have a new blank layer selected. When I right click on my path, stroke path is available but it just won't do anything. I have been able to get it to work by going to my paths pallet and selecting stroke path from there but that is a lot more time consuming, and well call me crazy but I would like this super expensive program to work properly. Please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. Thank you!

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 05, 2016 Mar 05, 2016

Hi! I had the same problem but I think I've solved it or at least found another work around.

First go to your Direct Select Tool and change it to Path Select tool (It's the white arrow just below the text on the tool bar, black arrow when it is chosen as the path select tool) You can hit shift A until you get to it. Now, use the Path Select Tool to individually select all your paths, holding shift as you do so. Then at the top you will see an option to COMBINE. Make sure you have the last button

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your current Photoshop target when you try to stroke the path? Check the the blend mode for the brush and pencil and colors set also.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry I don't understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the Brush Tool selected before you try to stroke the path?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I previously selected the brush tool and set it to the brush I need an then I selected the pen tool and right clicked on my path and selected stroke path but it doesn't do anything. This has worked previously for me so I'm not sure why it isn't now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also the blend mode of my brush is set to normal and the opacity and flow are both set to 100%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't select the pen tool.  Leave the Brush Tool selected and try using the Stroke Path icon at the bottom of the Paths panel.

Make sure you don't have a selection made somewhere else.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2013 Mar 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been able to get it to work from the paths panel, my problem is that the strock path will no longer work when I right click my path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2013 Mar 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you select Stroke Path, do you not get the pop-up asking you with what tool you want to stroke it?  If not, any chance that dialog is popping-up off screen?  Have you used a separate monitor recently?

Have you tried resetting the Brush Tool, all the tools, or even resetting Photoshop's preferences to default?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2013 Jul 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same trouble with the flyout for the stroke path dialog...I do not get the Brush selection in fact I get nothing at all when I hit the stroke path option....  I have chosen my brush and then chose the pen and then drew my line and right clicked to get the flyout but when I choose stroke path I get nothing....and I am looking for this Stroke path brush selection which never comes up....ALSO I am on a blank sheet with my simple pen stroke so nothing is interfering with my choice..... THIS IS A SAMPLE THAT I AM FOLLOWING FROM A ONLINE TUTORIAL THAT I CAN NOT FINISH BECAUSE MY STROKE WILL NOT WORK......HELP ME PLEASEUntitled-1.jpgtrouble 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2013 Jul 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is your Brush Tool set?

100% Opacity and Flow?  Normal mixing mode?  etc.

If you paint manually with it does it work okay?  Stroking a path will only mimic your stroking it manually.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2013 Jul 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having trouble inside the Photoshop files. I read this article. I found out that my brush just simply stop painting. No tool was working when tried on all layers. I had another small Photoshop file on, and the tools were working in it. I reopened the Photoshop file, and it worked fine. If this is a flaw, I consider it inconvenient because the price of Photoshop. That would be something I expect from free software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2013 Jul 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I restarted the file and it worked...It must be a glitch

Personalizing In Professional Services Since 1991

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, you're a genius. Thank you. I did it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, you are a genius. I thank you kindly.

-Britt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2013 Aug 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The layer you're working on is probably "locked", indicated by a padlock icon on the right side part of the layer. To remove the "lock", drag the padlock icon to the trash bin at the bottom right of your window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

click layer path and  left click and click create stroke path it s working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2016 Mar 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I had the same problem but I think I've solved it or at least found another work around.

First go to your Direct Select Tool and change it to Path Select tool (It's the white arrow just below the text on the tool bar, black arrow when it is chosen as the path select tool) You can hit shift A until you get to it. Now, use the Path Select Tool to individually select all your paths, holding shift as you do so. Then at the top you will see an option to COMBINE. Make sure you have the last button for the path behaviors selected (Exclude overlapping shapes, it will look like two shaded boxes joined at the corner. Make sure only that button is selected and keep an eye on your path selection tool as the arrow sees to jump back to white.) That's it, you ,might have to do it a couple of times to get all your paths but it worked for me.

And yes, I would call this a bug.

also I'm new here so if this information is already common knowledge then pardon my interruption. I hope this helps some out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, but in CS5. I just fixed it by adding a blank layer and merging it with the layer I was trying to create a stroke in. When I merged them together, the fill/stroke option became available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed it.  And REALLY,  [removed by moderator] ?  I restarted the program, REPEATEDLY, checked all perameters,  struggled to see if there were perameters I did not KNOW about before I came here.  None of the above suggestions helped till I got here.  Thank you.  Deffinately a bug.  Merge with a blank layer?  Come ON!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the exact same problem. Though additionally the make selection option and the fill path option also didnt work. I simply restarted the program.... its a bug....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2018 Apr 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that the foreground color is not white or the color that you are using for the background. Press the double arrows at the bottom left corner and try to use stroke path again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar problem to me today. I was unable to stroke or fill a Work Path, everywhere it was disabled.

To fix this I create an ellipse path and I was able to fill and stroke this, than I just copy/pasted my path into the ellipse path layer and deleted the ellipse shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be the layer that you are working on is not rasterized.

Step 1: Draw a path using the pen curvature tool.

Step 2: Choose the brush tool and click on the work plane.

Photoshop will automatically rasterize the layer

Step 3: Choose the pen curvature tool again and right-click on the path that you have created. You will find the stroke path option lit up.

*It can be due to other reasons too*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a problem applying STROKE to a selection. I'm on Creative Cloud 23.4.2 and when I select an area and then go to STROKE it, I get nothing. Assistance required. I've tried rebooting and still nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines