• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save image as very specific dimensions and file size

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2013 Apr 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an image received from a client in .eps format.  I need to get it into either a .gif or .jpg format AND the final file MUST be .8 inches x .3 inces, AND no more than 10K in size.   How can I save it with these dimensions/constraints and not lose resolution? What I have tried - export to .jpg (file is 5 inches x 3 inches), export and change resolution to 100ppi (image is nearly the right dimensions, but blurry).  The tools I have are AI and PS both version CS5

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lamb,

Presuming you want it in RGB, you should be able to create a 4 - 5 K size in 300 PPI as JPEG or GIF if you place the image (which is presumably vector artwork) in a new RGB Document with points as unit and:

1) Change the size of the image to 240 x 90 pixels,

2) Save for Web (& Devices) with that Image Size (you can make sure in the Image Size window), choosing either GIF or JPEG (Maximum Quality).

The size 240 x 90 pixels corresponds to 0.8 x 0.3 inches at 300 PPI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must have missed a step or misunderstood.  I resized to 240 x 90, then saved for web and went to image size window and ensured it also said 240 x 90 (i couldn't find a way to see inches in save for web).   I did not see a place to specify 300PPI

When I open in PS the image is 3.333 x 1.319 and is 72 ppi

Sorry I'm a less than a novice with AI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh - Also should mention the file is RGB, but is black and white so if chaging color profile will help ultimate file size, thats fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2013 Apr 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lamb,

In PS, open the Image>Image Size window, untick Resample Image, and set either dimension (to 0.8 or 0.3 inch) or the resolution (to 300).

In Save for Web you just use the pixel x pixel dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to keep at it Jacob, but that didn't work - Now I have a beautiful image, but the file size is 22K

Perhaps you can provide a little more detail and take it from the beginning, I am obviously missing a step somewhere that others would take for granted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lamb,

You may reduce the size in pixel x pixel to 160 x 60, or 120 x 45 if needed, to get the size down, and do the same in PS (with a resolution of 200 or 150 instead of 300).

I doubt whether any step is missing. I tried with a 240 x 90 rectangle filled with a rainbow gradient and got sizes between 4 and 5 K, so I am unsure why yours is so much larger, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it worked in theory... In PS it says all the right sizes, and saves as a 3K gif file, but when I open it in the program I need to use it with it shows up 3 inches x 1 inch
The fault is with the other program not being able to size correctly, and I am merely trying to get an image to the client to use as a work around until the other prgram is fixed - but I think I give up

Thanks for all the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Lamb.

Just out of curiosity: which programme?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is called Windward, it is a report generator used with Oracle.  Our other software here uses Crystal and I will take that over this thing any day - I have never had an image file cause so much trouble.  And the best I got it to was 96PPI - anything larger and the file size exceeded 10K and caused the program to produce a 200 MB pdf file!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the follow up, Lamb, and good luck with the fixing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines