Exit

Deleting Color Definitions

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2013 Apr 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

This is FM 10.

I have a large number of color definitions defined in the template. Please see the attached image. They have names like: RGB 000.048.127 etc.

FM.png

I want to delete these definitions. I am defining a new set of colors for the template and new definitions are appearing at the end of the list. I need to browse through the entire list.

The problem is mysterious, when I try to delete these definitions, FM do ask for a confirmation whether to delete, but upon clicking OK, FM do not actually delete the entry. It do not give any errors either. They are right there, even after deleting.

Please let me know how can I get rid of them.

Regards,

Com    

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I want to delete these definitions.

What was that movie line? "Get used to disappointment."

Those colors are quite likely coming in with an imported object, typically a DXF, DWG, GIF, or perhaps a more common format but using indexed colors instead of continous tone (contone).

Getting rid of them requires externally converting the object(s) to contone or gray, then re-importing, and may require a MIF hack to actually clear the garbage out of the Color Catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Error mentions, those colours are created by importing graphics that use an indexed colour scheme (usually PNG or GIF). The only way to ensure that these go away is to convert the offending graphics to use 24-bit colours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to Anis's suggestion, Rick Quatro has a color definitions clean

up Framescript (may be part of another package) that zeros all the color

definitions out.

Art Campbell

art.campbell@gmail.com

"... In my opinion, there's nothing in this world beats a '52 Vincent and

a redheaded girl." -- Richard Thompson

No disclaimers apply.

DoD 358

I support www.TheGrotonLine.com, hyperlocal news for Groton MA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had a one GIF and some JPGs in the book.

Using my SnagIT image converter I converted all of them to "True color 24-bit" JPGs, and reimported them.

But I still can't delete those definitions.

Regards,

Com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2013 Apr 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, in addition to Anis's answer, that's right, if there are imported images. You cannot delete these color definition of these images

1. Change the image format adn then delete the unused color.

2. In addition there is a "Delete Unused Color" plug-in in Finalyser.

- Georg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> But I still can't delete those definitions.

1. Save as MIF.
  2. Use a plaintext editor to search for
    <ColorCatalog
  3. Find the entries:
    <Color
    <ColorTag `RGB ###,###,###'>
    <... whatever ...>
    > # end of Color
  4. Delete them.
  5. Save.
  6. Open the MIF in FM
  7. Re-save as .fm

If they return, you haven't found all the objects that are dragging them in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to what Error mentioned, if you try to delete the colours through the MIF route, then be careful not to touch the first 16 colours (ending at "Salmon") as these are FM special "Reserved" colour definitions.

In addition to Georg's excellent Finalyzer product, Silicon Prairie's ColorTools will also delete unused colours. See: http://www.siliconprairiesoftware.com/Products.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2013 Apr 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In my experience, a simple MIF wash of the .fm file will delete spurious RGB xxx,xxx,xxx colors (assuming the offending graphic has been removed or converted to non-indexed). No tedious editing required.

Have others not found the same?

Ross

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines