Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker not copying

Contributor ,
Apr 10, 2013 Apr 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ,

When I copy something in Framemaker, including copy specials, 90% of the time it will not copy and I end up pasting whatever is last on the clipboard.

If I then copy it again, it works.

It sounds like nothing, but at the moment my life is spent Ctrl-c, Ctrl-v, Ctrl-z, Ctrl-c, Ctrl-v, Ctrl-zzzzzzz.

Anyone seen this behaviour before?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Skype is known to mess up the clipboard when working with FM; now that MSN has been retired in favour of Skype, you may have and not realize it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm.

I use msn via Trillian, so maybe that is it.

I'll give it a trial without Trillian.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Anyone seen this behaviour before?

Yes, and on more than just Windows.

Apart from "helpful" apps stealing keycodes, and perhaps not passing them on if they aren't for that app ...

My impression is that paste-fail can be caused by the copy operation being incomplete at paste. This can happen for any number of reasons, including but not limited to:

• Framemaker executable swapped-out/checkpointed at the moment.
  • Framemaker's data is in VM on disk, and needs to be brought back into RAM.
  • Memory for the copy needs to be allocated.
  • System is just plain busy.

A work-around that seems to avoid the paste-fail is to perform the copy using the app's own menu tools, Edit > Copy in FM's case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is indeed a work-around, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 11, 2013 Apr 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

> Apart from "helpful" apps stealing keycodes, and perhaps not passing them on if they aren't for that app ...

Glad you mentioned that: it spurred me to kill off the W*ws shortcut that used to dash in, grab some Photoshop/Illustrator keystrokes and change the keyboard mapping while I'm not looking. Worst of it was, the switch from AZERTY to QWERTY replaces ctrl+z – which I'll admit I need from time to time – with ctrl+w: pretty well the opposite of what I want to do!

N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens to me regularly after vmware Fusion Tools crashes. Not a problem with FM, really, unless FM is responsible for the crash...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines