• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I update the book, the first image in the book enlarges, no matter what image file I import.

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2013 Apr 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using FM 9.0 with some legacy 2-year old files. They've all compiled fine for years, until now. 

Now, no matter what image file I use, or which file format the image is in, when I update the book, the very first image in the book automatically enlarges!

I've done the following, with no luck:

• Deleted the anchored frame and re-created it.
  • Saved the image as a different file type.
  • Used an entirely different image.
  • Removed the entire page (the Update process then enlarge the NEXT image).
  • Created an entirely new chapter file and copied/pasted everything from the chapter into the new file.

The rest of the images in the book are fine, it's just that very first one that magically enlarges itself.

The image file is imported by reference, and I've tried jpg, png, and gif.

The anchored frame is set to 'below the current line.'

I can save the chapter file, close it, and re-open it to see the file scaled correctly. ONLY when I update the book does the problem occur.

Help! Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds a bit wierd, and I haven't seen that behaviour before...

Are all of your files open prior to regenerating the book?

Do you see any messages in the FM Console window?

Does this happen with any book file or just a specific one?

Have you tried recreating the book file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't seem to matter whether any of the chapter files are open while I update the book.

I see no messages from the FM Console.

This happens with 2 out of the 6 books for this product line. Same exact issue.

I have not tried to recreate the book file yet, I will try that next.

Thank you, I appreciate any help I can get!  I wonder if I have a corrupted file...but I created a new file, and that didn't fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a new book file, added the folders, generated new Contents and Index. Still have the issue. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried a book without folders? I'm thinking there may be some processing of the file as a cover page for the section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2013 Apr 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I'll try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this information is helpful, but I'll note it here just in case.  When I re-open the chapter file after I update the book, the image properties have changed. When I imported the image, I set it to 150 dpi. After the book update, the image properties show 'Percent' as 100% and dpi has been set to Unknown.

I can rescale the image itself to the desired width and import it as is. But I still wonder why FM is changing the object's properties during the book update. Any why on ONLY the first image?

If my workload permitted me the time, I would go back and rescale every image to the desired size rather than have FM resize them. But some of these books are 450 pages with over 300 screen shots or screen 'snippets.'

I like the 'hack' idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be an import filter problem.

If so, it might be important, if you use the hack, to make sure the 1-px image is the same graphics file format as the first real image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the files that you're working with created in versions older than FM9? Some of the import filiters have changed over the years (but that still doesn'txplain why only the first graphic encountered is affected?).

One way to test & see what FM's doing is to look at the MIF file entries for that specific graphic before and after a book update. You would need to save separate copies of the MIF and then using any text editor, look for the <ImportObject ... > section for the filename that gets resized. The MIF info fully describes what FM does and the filtering that is applied to the graphic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2013 Apr 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, many of these books were created on FM 7.2, by my predecessor. I hadn't thought of examining the MIF file, good idea. I have temporarily forced this image to behave by scaling it beforehand and specifying the percentage instead of the dpi. Once I get past this looming Beta delivery, I'll take a look at the MIF file before & after.

Thanks to all of you for your support!  I'll keep you posted in a week when I resurface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2013 Apr 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was so curious about this that I took 10 minutes to generate the before/after MIF files. Here is what I found. ShapeRect and BRect were changed during the update.

Interpretations?

BEFORE

<ImportObject
   <Unique 914208>
   <Fill 7>
   <Separation 0>
   <ObColor `Black'>
   <RunaroundType Contour>
   <ImportObFileDI `<c\>graphics<c\>new login scaled.png'>
   <ImportObFile `graphics/new login scaled.png'>
   <ImportHint `0001AIDEPNG WIN3    '>
   <ImportHint `0001IMAGPNG WIN3    '>
   <ImportObUpdater `PNG'>
   <ShapeRect  0.01389" 0.01389" 2.29713" 1.70856">
   <BRect  0.01389" 0.01389" 2.29713" 1.70856">
   <BitMapDpi 175>
   <FlipLR No>
  > # end of ImportObject

AFTER

<ImportObject
   <Unique 914208>
   <Fill 7>
   <Separation 0>
   <ObColor `Black'>
   <RunaroundType Contour>
   <ImportObFileDI `<c\>graphics<c\>new login scaled.png'>
   <ImportObFile `graphics/new login scaled.png'>
   <ImportHint `0001AIDEPNG WIN3    '>
   <ImportHint `0001IMAGPNG WIN3    '>
   <ImportObUpdater `PNG'>
   <ShapeRect  0.01389" 0.01389" 4.15625" 3.11458">
   <BRect  0.01389" 0.01389" 4.15625" 3.11458">
   <BitMapDpi 175>
   <FlipLR No>
  > # end of ImportObject

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2013 Apr 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Has the size of the Anchored Frame containing the graphic also changed in this case? What is the actual size of the image at the 175dpi, i.e. does it match the "after" size for the bounding box?

Which point version of FM9 are you using, i.e. are you fully patched? IIRC, there some scaling issues with PNG files (that had an odd-number of pixels?) in FM9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to see your book structure. Could you please do a screen capture of your book file in FM, highlight the file that has the image that gets enlarged and post it here using the "camera" insert image tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a very small book, just the basics. The first image in the book is in the Getting Started chapter.

deleteme.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hack.

Somewhere in Flow A prior to the first real image, import a 1-pixel white image (probably at the end of the first sentence, At Insertion Point).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines