Skip navigation

Acrobat failed to load its Core DLL--can't open pdf files as a result

Oct 31, 2008 8:47 AM

Latest reply: Krafts1, Jun 11, 2013 12:36 AM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2013 1:20 PM   in reply to Test Screen Name

running Mcafee, same problem, a student also, why is this happeing this close to finals?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 1:36 PM   in reply to robbiepsmithsr

I have not found one resolution yet. I have tried different versions, uninstalled and re-installed, googled, I don't know what else to try

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2013 1:45 PM   in reply to mja741

I got tech support to call me for free was on phone for two hours and they

could Not fix it.  They  had control of my computer and did so much and

could not figure issue out either.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 4:33 PM   in reply to mja741

I am having the exact same problem and have done everything you have.  Mine just quit working 2 days ago.  I've been following several forums and wonder why so many of us are just now having this problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 4:41 PM   in reply to D Whiddon

Well adobe tech support couldn't even fix it.  So yea I am a student and

needbit and no way to fix it apparently. The guy worked for almost two

hours on my computer and nothing.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 11:16 PM   in reply to KEJKMARL

Does disabling Protected Mode fix the problem?  For Reader XI, download, unzip and run the attached registry script.

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 12:09 PM   in reply to KEJKMARL

Copy C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader X.X\reader\ all files, not the folders from here to C:\. Adobe reader will work fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 1:21 PM   in reply to IT Mandevil

Thank you, that worked for some reason, now it opens.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to robbiepsmithsr

Very interesting fix. Others please let us know if it works for you, or if it doesn't. Also any idea why it works??

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 5:12 PM   in reply to IT Mandevil

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.  Would you be able to explain?  Sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 5:49 PM   in reply to D Whiddon

Copy all the files in the reader folder from the path listed above(Not the folders in the reader folder) and then click on My Computer, then click on Local Disk (C:) and paste the files there. This is the root and it will work.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 6:06 PM   in reply to (Angie_Cevallos)

Hi Folks,

We've had problem – we have not been able open PDF files with Acrobat reader.  This initially was a major issue because I have so many PDF files. 

Here is the error message:

Incompatible with system configuration.  Do you want to open with protected mode disabled?

When I try to open with protected mode disabled I get:

Fatal Error:  Acrobat failed to load its Core DLL.

After uninstalling and reinstalling with no help, I realized I could open the files with Microsoft’s file viewer – so it wasn’t as crucial to solve the problem ASAP.

So we spent time following up on a potential BOT infection.  Comcast had sent us an EMail saying that they thought that one or more of our computers had a BOT.  The only symptoms we had was that my lap top crashed a couple of times in the past week; and we lost the ability to read PDF files.  The Email gave a choice – either follow instructions to get rid of the malware yourself or seek specialized help from Comcast to get rid of the problem (for $129).  So I did the do-it-yourself version and did not find the BOT.  After several calls to Comcast and at least an hour we were connected with someone from their Tech Support who knew what he was doing.

He gave us a file that took one minute to download and another minute to do the scan.  It found the BOT and removed it.  AND once I rebooted my laptop the PDF problem went away

So in case you have had strange computer problems, here is the file location

http://download.cnet.com/Kaspersky-TDSSKiller/3000-2239_4-12684178.htm l

Don’t click on the 3-step running banner that says “start download”

but click on green button on the left that says “Download Now (CNET Secure Download).”

If you have problems, hopefully this will solve it.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 7:36 PM   in reply to IT Mandevil

Thank you for the explanation.  I pasted the files in C: but I am still receiving the error message.  Not sure why it didn't work for me?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 7:38 PM   in reply to D Whiddon

I did now says I am missing a plugin but at least opening getting somewhere

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 1:37 AM   in reply to KEJKMARL

If it says you are missing a plug-in, I suspect you are trying to run the copy of AcroRd32.exe that you copied, now in C:. This is logical but not what is needed. You would continue to run the original copy (from the Start menu, icon, or whatever).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 5:43 AM   in reply to Test Screen Name

That is what I am doing

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 6:01 AM   in reply to D Whiddon

If you downloaded and ran the Kaspersky TDSSkiller malware scan that was in the link and did not find any malware then this would not solve your problem.  Sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 11:23 AM   in reply to IT Mandevil

Thank You!! I just retried this and it worked! I can't thank you enough!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 11:34 AM   in reply to IT Mandevil

I have been trying to fix this for days including restoring my system and uninstalling and reinstalling the ap.  I was ready to give up and pay someone a lot more savy than me to try to fix it when I saw your post.  It worked.  Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 2:02 PM   in reply to lucindanb

If someone still has a computer that has this error and hopefully ha a small windows install you could run Disk2vhd and upload this somewhere on the internet,  I'd like to analyse the image and identify the malware.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 3:08 PM   in reply to IT Mandevil

My Adobe is finally working but now I can not print any of my pdf documents.  Do you have any suggestions with this problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 3:12 PM   in reply to D Whiddon

Hi Whiddon, this is still due to the infection.  The best work around at this time is to download and install Sumatra PDF http://download.cnet.com/Sumatra-PDF/3000-18497_4-10698785.html  to print PDFs.  I should have an infected computer in my possession on the 11th and hopefully will be able to analyse and determine a fix for the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 7:21 PM   in reply to (Angie_Cevallos)

I had the exact problem in opening my Adobe Reader except its version XI.  Keep getting the error message failed to load core dll. I have a Windows 7 OS, 64 bit with IE 10.  I did download on protected mode but don't know why that would make a difference... I hope it doesn't interfere with my antivirus software- Norton 360- yea I spent good money for this because of a trojan virus that was so bad I had to use system restore.  Can someone help me out with this problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 8:23 PM   in reply to Test Screen Name

this didn't work for me now what?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 7:45 PM   in reply to Angeldia30

I too have jsut strted to get Acrobat Failed to load its Core dLL>  It is very frustrating. I need to read PDFs for work. I disabled Nortan, tried repair and even tried to call Adobe to no avail . Iwas on hold for over an hour and they never answered..(just used minutes on my phone) If any one know anything please help. I just instalalled anew microsoft windows. Could that be the culprit/ If no body here can help. where can I go to get this fixed?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 12:30 PM   in reply to ESOL23

Per my previous post:  1.  you can read PDF files with free Microsoft File Viewer

and 2.  I would try running the Kaspersky-TDSSKiller scan:  see #51 from envsafety on April 6.

D.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 7:15 PM   in reply to envsafety

Thank you, thank you, thank you..it worked!! I had even paid $38 for help at Justanswer.com and the tech yesterday could not help me. You are the best!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 11:42 PM   in reply to ESOL23

I know different things are working for different people...so here's what I did to fix the problem. I ran windows defender offline version (you have to put it on a cd or flash drive & restart with it inserted), and it Found/Cleaned 346 infected files, and also removed 27 Viruses...

After it took it 7 hours to complete the full scan and correction...Adobe worked again 100%

And no, this was not my personal computer, it was one of our computers at work.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 1:14 AM   in reply to willythagr8

Thank you for posting your solution - good to know that a different approach also works.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 7:17 AM   in reply to envsafety

Thank you so much I have been working on this for days, scanning, uninstalling, reinstalling and could not get anywhere.  I just tried that and it is all better I can once again open my files.  Truely appreciate the insight.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 10:57 AM   in reply to envsafety

Thank you for posting this info. The scanner found a rootkit on my system, and after Cure removed it Reader works again.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 6:39 AM   in reply to KevinA223

Hi Everyone,

The Adobe team has been working on this issue offline and with many of our customers over phone calls and emails. The investigations have concluded that this break is caused due to the presence of malware on the system. We have been able to see significant success with the use of Kaspersky TDSSKiller tool. Many users on the forums had reported the same and we have also been able to confirm results with some infected machines.

If you are facing this issue, we recommend running the tool on your system. For installation and usage instructions, please refer to “How to disinfect a compromised system” on http://support.kaspersky.com/5350?el=88446

We are continuing investigations and will post an update as soon as we have further details.

Thanks to everyone who posted in and provided details. Given that the cause was an infection, detecting and isolating it without your support would have been near impossible.

Regards,

Deepak

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 8:00 AM   in reply to Deepak Chauhan

Deepak, the last thing my computer needs is to download more programs. Is there going to be a point where we will be able to just uninstall Adobe Reader and re-install it , where it will work normally?? This program is vital for my job and I have gone 2 weeks without it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 8:02 AM   in reply to mja741

The point is that for many, perhaps most, people this problem means that there is some really bad software on the machine called a "rootkit". This is nothing to do with Adobe, but luckily breaks Adobe Reader. Lucky, because you can now know it is there and get rid of it before it steals any more credit card numbers, or sends more spam from your computer, or does whatever else it is doing. This should be your #1 priority!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 9:47 AM   in reply to Test Screen Name

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! IIT IS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 10:59 AM   in reply to Deepak Chauhan

Thank you so much!  This worked and my Adobe is now printing!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 1:59 PM   in reply to Deepak Chauhan

I think it is clear that Deepak's answer to our problem is the ultimate fix. I want to thank him and whoever else came up with this solution. It is easy and does not take a long time. Kaspersky is a respected Virus/Malware software company and without downloading any big programs to my system, you just run a quick scan and it pulls up the rootkit malware, then allows you to "cure" it. Restart your system and it works!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 4:27 PM   in reply to mja741

I did what you guys recommended and it worked.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 12:48 PM   in reply to (Angie_Cevallos)

Please See the solution on below link : http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/reader-core-dll-error.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2013 6:35 AM   in reply to Deepak Chauhan

Deepak... You are a freakin GENIUS!  I've been trying to fix this problem for a month.  I ran the utility, deleted the reader folder and ran repair.  And it works like a charm!  Thanks for being THE Adobe expert!

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)