• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import problems in Lightroom 4.4

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2013 Apr 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to 4.4 last week and started to have import problems yesterday to my mac desktop. I am getting a can't read the raw file message. Pictures still import perfectly well to my non lightroom upgraded retinal MacBook Pro. Is there an issue that you are aware of and is there a fix?

thanks,

Robert Sommers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 08, 2013 Apr 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of MacOS are you working with Robert?

What camera make/model are you importing your pictures from?

How are you importing?

Can you import images that are not from this Camera? Like a downloaded JPG file?

What is the exact error message text you are seeing? (could even provide a screenshot of the error)

Thanks & Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pete I am using the operating system Mac 10.6.8.. I am using a Nikon D7000 shooting raw and D40x and had the same problem with both cameras on successive days. I am importing through a usb cable. I had the same  problem with both raw and jpeg.  The first day, Friday, it eventually worked. I shutdown and rebooted the computer saturday and it  started to work properly and function normally again. So I can't give you a screen shot at the moment but figure that if it has happened twice, it will probably happen again. To paraphrase, it is a "can not read the file" message with a nef graphic showing up in the respective lightroom frames.  I will contact you if I get the message again.

Thank you so much for responding.

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response Robert,

Good to hear that it is working for you, definitely let us know if you continue to experience trouble and we'll look into it.

I know that with Nikon's CaptureOne application we have seen cases where that can cause the Nikon camera images to become corrupted while importing from card using Nikon's software. We recommend that you import directly from the Camera within Lightroom, or better yet, using a card reader on your computer and importing into lightroom from the card directly.

Thanks again for the update,

Have a great week.

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2013 Apr 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a Win& 64 bit machine and LR4.4 Import does not work either!  VERY upsetting.  Using Bridge I can copy the files from my card to the HD, but LR will not import more than half of the time... either copying or adding.  This is KILLING my workflow Adobe!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to supply some details................

vtfotopro wrote:

I am on a Win& 64 bit machine and LR4.4 Import does not work either!  VERY upsetting.  Using Bridge I can copy the files from my card to the HD, but LR will not import more than half of the time... either copying or adding.  This is KILLING my workflow Adobe!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What details would you like.  I am running LR 4.4 on a WIN 7 (64) i7 quad intel with 16GB Ram.

When I click on import and navigate to my card reader, LR sees the files and then nothing happens.  I can tell if it is going to work because when the few times it does LR shows how many files it will be adding to each destination folder.  But for the past week LR sees the files on the cards and they are all checked but it will not add them to the catalogue or move them to the HD.  It just does nothing!  I tried using Bridge to copy the files and then just import them to the catalogue as an ADD... and it still does not do anything. 

I am not a newbie to LR.  I have been using it since it came out in 2006 and teach classes on LR one day a week.  There is a horrible glitch in this release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are saying sometimes it has worked???

What type of files are they? Are you getting any messages???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get any messages.  It used to work a while ago.  Now the only way I can load still photo Canon RAW is I have to hit ctrl-alt-del to open the Task Manager and manually force quit LR from the processes list... because when I exit the program the normal way it remains running in the background.  Then I have to reopen LR and then it will see still photos on the card and import them.  This all started because I am trying to add some MOV files to the catalogue.  If there are both CR2 files and MOV files on the card LR will not import either.

I do not get any messages... Like I said the number of additions never shows up in the destination file structure... if I hit import anyway... LR says that it is importing but nothing happens.  I have left it alone for hours and finally I got a message that it could not import the MOV files.  LR imported these MOV files before.  I am shooting with a Canon 60D... nothing new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And Geoff... I do apologize if my tone earlier was off... I am running a busy studio here, have shoots at 8:30AM tomorrow and if LR is down I am out of business... literally!  But I do apologize if I was sarcastic or off.  But this is my life than hangs on this one program working right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understand the issues but really I have no idea at this stage and I use Macs. Howver we should be able to work this out. By the way I am a photographer too and understand your frustration. Yes there may be a glitch in Lightroom but there aren't reports flooding in of similar issues.

I have an appointment to keep right now so hang in there until someone else chips in.

vtfotopro wrote:

And Geoff... I do apologize if my tone earlier was off... I am running a busy studio here, have shoots at 8:30AM tomorrow and if LR is down I am out of business... literally!  But I do apologize if I was sarcastic or off.  But this is my life than hangs on this one program working right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2013 Apr 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am haveing this problem; Lightroom 4.4. Win 7 64 bit, quad Intel prossesor, 64 GB memory, this is a dedicated machine for post processing. When I select Import Photos and movies from the file menu the program just hangs and I have to close it. The rest of the computer runs fine while Lightrom is hung up. I have noticed that Photoshop CS6 is now slow in saving JPEG files, the dialog box for the quality selection is slow to come up. This is new since LR 4.4. I am running all SSD drives and everything was executing in fractions of a second.

I have unistalled LR 4.4 and reinstalled 4.3 but know 4.3 has the problem. I have imported 54,00 images since december and never had this problem until LR 4.4

Like others this is a huge problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rmuma -- I too have gone back to LR 4.3 but the problem remains!

I have also noticed that if I check the Task Manager (ctr-alt-dlt) that even after I have Xed out of (closed) LR, the program remains running in the "processes" list... forever.... even after closed LR is tying up system resources!  This program is literally killing me!  Is anyone from Adobe reading this?  I have built a business around your program and your update will put me out of business.  Sounds like a law suite to me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rmuma and vtfotopro,

Do you have any devices plugged into your computer when you try to go to import?  We have heard of occasional issues with import when some models of devices like mp3 players or smart phones were connected.  We've also heard occasional reports of problems with some blue tooth devices.  Try disconnecting those types of devices and see if the import works.

Becky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Becky -- First of all, thank you for replying... this has become very upsetting... akin to a Catholic priest discovering God does not exist... that is how much I have believed in, loved and use LR! 

I do not have anything, other than a Logitech wireless mouse pluged in.

Any idea why LR won't unload after it's closed?

Again, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Becky -- While I have a staff member here... How come none of Aobe's install files will download in Chrome?  I use Chrome 99% of the time but whenever I plan on downloading program files from Adobe I have to open up the link in IE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vtfpotopro,

I had no problem downloading the beta in:

Chrome-via Win 7 64

Chrome-via Mac 10.8.3

Perhaps there is something turned on/off in Chrome?

Firewall/Antivirus?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know why Chrome doesn't work... it has not for a year or two, and it's only with Adobe.  It works to download programs and anything from other sites.

Just downloaded LR5 Beta... Why don't they support existing catalogues?  This means I have to make a whole new catalogue to test LR5... and at the same time do the same edites in LR4.4.  Adobe, you are making me do 2x the work to beta test LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vtfotopro wrote:

Why don't they support existing catalogues?

Because it's a beta. They don't want you shifting your whole workflow over to it.  It's purely for playing and testing at this stage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we please keep this thread limited to a discussion of the Import issues in LR 4.4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Becky -- All I had was a wireless mouse.  I have since uninstalled the mouse.  I also uninstalled all the drivers for my smartphone.  Then I did a reboot on the machine.  After reboot I started LR4.3 and tried to add the MOV files to the catalouge (they are already on the HD) and LR4.3 won't ADD them.  So, it was not the mouse and whatever 4.4 did it stayed behind after I reinstalled 4.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Becky -- I have not idea what happened... decided to try one more reboot... and it worked!  Running LR4.3 I was able to ADD the MOV files in from my shoot two days ago. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Becky -- Threw a party too soon... LR4.3 still won't import from a mixed media card

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, if I am understanding this thread correctly, Lightroom import chokes when there is mixed media (videos and photos) on a card.  In other cases with all photos, the import works as expected.  Is that true for the people on this thread?

I'll proceed with investigating the mixed media case.  Meanwhile, if you are seeing import issues NOT related to mixed media on the card, then please clarify the following:

1. At what point does the import fail?  When you click to go into the import dialog?  At some point while viewing the import dialog?  Or after you click the Import button in the import dialog?

2. Can you import a single photo from a location on your local hard drive?  (this helps eliminate whether the problem is with a specific card, card reader, or mixed media situation).

3. What does the failure look like?  Is it a lock (Lightroom is running, but doesn't respond to mouse clicks, etc.)?  Is it a crash (Lightroom shuts down unexpectedly)?  Is it a failed import, but Lightroom continues to run?  Is there any error message? 

Thanks,

Becky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was not a case of mixed media for me, only raw photos on a usb cable import. Failure is a "can not read file" message and a white box in every picture portal with text on it. I will take screen captures if it is to happen again.

thanks,

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines