• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sometimes when I close my Illustrator CS6 file it automatically saves without asking me if I want to

Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2012 Nov 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, if I didn't want to save the file this creates a problem. It doesn't happen all the time, just ocassionally and I can't figure out why it does it. Any thoughts?

I'm using an iMac 2.5GHz Intel Core i5, Mac OSX 10.7.5, Illustrator CS6 v16.0.0

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

never happened to me but but I always fear it, it is just a guess, the s and w keys on the keyboard are very close and using the Cmd+w  to close a file actually can hit accidentally Cmd + s first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm... That may be possible but unlikely I think. If there isn't anyone else having this issue it might be what is happening. I hadn't thought of it and I've done sillier things in my life so I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks for your response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just the other day when copied some complex vector artwork from Illustrator to Photoshop and then clicked back to Illustrator to close it I had a save bar come up for a good 2 minutes. I thought it was a progress bar for the copied artwork but it said saving, however when I looked at the file it wasn't modified. It maybe saving the the artwork to the clip board and not the actual file? Just a thought. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2012 Dec 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello from France,

I have the same problem on six MacPro, 10.6.8 and 10.7.5. I close the document with the keyboard or with the menu or with the mouse on red button, and it auto saves. Differents Macs, Differents files, differents times... Never the same.

Have you got a Logitech mouse?

Any other idea?

Thx

SK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2012 Dec 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the apple mouse and keyboard that came with with my iMac. I am still having the same problem and it is killing me. I noticed it happens sometimes when I print too. The print dialog box flashes for a milisecond and then my file prints automatically before I'm able to choose and select any of my print settings. Something is triggering the RETURN/ENTER button before the print dialog box or save file dialog box appears.

I have cleaned both the mouse and keyboard and that has not helped. I asked for a new mouse and keyboard so hopefully that solves the problem. Any other thoughts out there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2012 Dec 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is definitely not a key command issue, I closed file by clicking the red close button on window and this has happened to me several times.  Sometimes I open a file cut the contents to use somewhere else, close it by closing the window, and it closes, no dialogue asking "Save file before closing?" etc it just closes, and when I opened the same file its a blank page..... extremely frustrating, I have had to restore files from backups several times.  Please Adobe fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2013 Jan 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I agree with you and am having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this as well, and I am also looking for a solution. It does not seem like the question has been answered yet, let me guess Adobe blames Apple and Apple blames Adobe? Please post a solution if one is found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have yet to find a solution. I replaced my old keyboard with a new one so stuck keys and other keyboard issues isn't the problem. I originally posted this inquiry here in the Illustrator forum because Illustrator CS6 is what I use 85% of the time but this may not be an illustrator problem, it's just I haven't noticed it happening yet in Photoshop CS6 nor Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2013 Jan 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh, I am having the same issue and caused me to make a big mistake!

YES ADOBE, we need this fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2013 Jan 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello from Spain,

I have the same problem.

MacPro 10.8.2

Illustrator CS6 16.2.0

I lost some work. I had to restore other files with Time Machine.

Unable to work in these conditions, please Adobe fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2013 Jan 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed, same problem in Illustrator CS6 16.2.1 (cloud users)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2013 Jan 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, and I am getting VERY tired of it. It happens frequently but randomly for me.  It can happen to just about any dialog with a "default" or highlighted button - appears to automatically accept the default option as if you press Return/Enter. When it happens, if I immediately repeat the process, it doesn't happen.

Illustrator 16.0.3

MacBook Pro Retina, Mid 2012

Processor  2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory  16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Software  OS X 10.8.2

Dear Adobe, fix it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another job to the trash... ADOBE FIX IT!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I COMPLETELY AGREE! I had a serious error happen, as well. Long story short, I set up an ai file, printed a copy and saved it as AI and a PDF. Next time I went back to access the AI file, it had not saved the newest version of edits. I didn't realize it and a few weeks later, found out that it caused artwork, not to be correct. I of course, overlooked it, because when I opened the file, I counted on the fact it was "saved" correctly, as the program is suppose to! So yes, Adobe, CS6 still has some serious issues. My PSD is also not saving files and My tempermental AI program, doesn't let me place images, etc or hides the images and they seem invisible. Ugg! So yes, I agree these issues need to be resolved asap!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2013 Jan 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another work to the trash... ADOBE FIX IT!!

Who pays the hours we need to remake the lost works? Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2013 Feb 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same problems since CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lets just face it this will never get addressed, they will release a new version tell us to buy it and it will be fixed. We all know this is not true, we will do what they ask and they will take our money and not address it in the new version either, it's the adobe way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to point out that 95% of this thread is just "me too" posts. Few, if any, are providing system details including OS, drive, whether or not you are working off a network, exact version of AI....

There's no way anyone will even care, much less pay attention, if you don't provide the basic information.

Ideally you should provide exact steps which shows the faulty behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I didn't realize I hadn't supplied enough information but you could have told me that three months ago...LOL

I'm using an iMac 2.5GHz Intel Core i5, Mac OSX 10.7.5, Illustrator CS6 v16.0.0

I am generally accessing files off of a MacProServer 2.8 Ghz, Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 8 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM OSX 10.6.7

However I have had the same situation happen when I open a file that resides on my hard drive in Illustrator and when I go to print the print dialogue box flashes and the file prints. Something is triggering the return/enter button/function.

There is no rhyme or reason. It happens periodically but daily. I open a file to make an adjustment or check on something for whatever reason, maybe move a dieline, edit some text, etc. I close the file either using Command-W or clicking the red button in the corner of the file. The file immediately starts saving. If it's a large file I have time to cancel the save as the save progress bar appears but most times the file saves quickly with no chance to impede it's progress. I have not found any difference that stands out regarding the files. Some are CS3 ai files, some are CS6 ai, some are small, some are large, some are on my drive, some are on our server. I'm not sure what other information I can provide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@scott w... I think the reason there are lots of “me too” posts with out additional information is because we don't have much more to add other than what Rice14 and others have already provided.  In my case, I am experiencing the exact same issue as Rice14, and I concur with his explanation of the problem.  Each “me too” is a welcome voice that indicates this is an issue experienced by others - perhaps even wide spread.

As far as “exact steps”.  I am sorry, it really is as simple as - perform a function where some sort of confirmation dialog or option screen is required and you will intermittently, but certainly frequently notice that the dialog or confirm either doesn’t appear and the default action is automatically taken by Illustrator or the dialog/confirmation window flashes for a moment and the default action is taken.

I have filed a bug report with Adobe and pointed them to this thread in the hope that this gets some attention.

I deal with this issue in my workflow on a daily and regular basis - the countless files overwritten with changes I did not want to save, the pages printed to the wrong printer or using the wrong settings, the saved files and exported images that use the default settings and need to be repeated again so that I get a chance to save them the way I want them to.  I have even taken the extra step on some of my “important” AI files to make the file “read only” before opening in Illustrator just to prevent overwriting because of this bug.

I have tried using different keyboards (laptop, USB, bluetooth), using track pad vs mouse, shortcut keys vs mouse click - the issue occurs regardless of the input device or method.  This debunks any possibility that it is a sticky keyboard or extra long mouse click or “double bounce”.

Any suggestions on how to get Adobe’s attention to this issue would be much appreciated at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tektraveler says... "...the saved files and exported images that use the default settings and need to be repeated again so that I get a chance to save them the way I want them to."

Yes, that is another situation I forgot to mention but still related to the return/enter trigger problem.

We are running older Rip software and have to save all of our CS6 ai files to CS3 eps files and on occasion as stated, the dialog window that allows me to choose the CS3 option as well as Postscript level 3, etc., does not appear or flashes quickly and saves the file with the default settings. I will immediately after open the same CS6 ai file again in CS6, save as an EPS and the dialog window appears this time allowing me to choose my preferred settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2013 Feb 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Second post on this subject, MacPro 2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 20 GB Ram OSX 10.6.8 Illustrator CS6 16.2.0 (Adobe Cloud Member) I use a Wacom Intuos 4 tablet no mouse.

Quite simple Illustrator saves files upon closing, at one point very early on I saw a save dialogue window pop up and close by itself in less than a second. But from then on I get nothing, no warning, nothing at all. It now continuously happens, here's the scenario exactly:

I usually am working on a file, in my case packaging artwork, I will need an element from another file sometimes a graphic or text, I then open the other file either through open dialogue window or through finder and clicking on file.  then select the element sometimes deleting top layers to get to the item, I cut or copy the item and close the file. The file just closes without any "do you want to save?...." dialogue box. I always close using the menu item, not keystroke, have done so for 20+ years as a safeguard to prevent accidentally, funny enough, saving files with changes.

I will then open that same file and see that it has saved this sequence of actions and has totally screwed the file and me up, this is crazy!!! It also happens when I take an artwork file to "save as a pdf" I traditionally open a file, convert all text to outline, save as a pdf, close the file without saving, in the past Illustrator would ask if I wan to save changes, now it only asks randomly with no pattern and most of the time the file just closes automatically saving the changes, this is extremely frustrating.

ADOBE, this is a SERIOUS ISSUE, that is COSTING MY FIRM TIME AND MONEY in lost productivity and lost client files that have to be redone, you have no idea how difficult this is on a packaging file.

I have now resorted to undoing everything I do on a file that I do not intend to save an even then sometimes I have shifted something or didn't quite do enough undos, this is absolutely primitive.

Please Adobe this is a crucial fix that needs to be done immediately. It is such a fundemental core action of any program that we have simply come to trust this with our lives, now it's a guessing game when is a save a save or in this case when is a non save and a save and for my cloud monthly fee I should not have to play costly guessing games with the world's leading graphic design software suite.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2013 Mar 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wholeheartedly agree. Adobe, this is an error that has dreadful consequences - both in work lost and time lost, as well as my trust of the program.

Over 50% of closed files result in save.

Save As dialog allows me to choose a format, but then directly saves without options dialog EVERY time. If I immediately save as with the same file name and format and choose Replace, I DO get the options dialog.

I am forced to make a duplicate file in the finder to open so original is not overwritten.

Not amused with recreating, fixing and restoring files.

Glad that I am not crazy and alone in this. Let's see if I can offically report the bug now...

3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon / 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC / ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB / Wacom Intous5 / Airmouse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines