• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to build database driven mobile apps with dreamweaver and phonegap?

New Here ,
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm searching the easiest way to implement a simple database in my app.

I can build application with php/mysql in seconds with dreamweaver.

But how can I do something similar with dreamweaver cs5.5 and phonegap for mobile apps?

I would like to create a little app that pulls data from a mysql database on my webserver.

But it seems that dreamweaver/phonegap/jquery mobile work only with HTML files.

I searched the whole web for a day now but I haven't found anything easy to recreate.

Is there a tutorial that explains the basic of database for mobile in dreamweaver?

It seems a bit limitating to use dreamweaver to build only static/useless apps....

What about forms and data validation?

TIA for any help.

tony

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen replies to this subject that talk about using PHP to output JSON data for use in the mobile app.  That sounds great, but where do we start with that?  Does anyone know of any step by step resources out there?

I'm trying to suppress my frustration that calling a database in a mobile application has not been addressed in Dreamweaver CS5.5 or CS6.  Mobile JSON recordset, anyone?  How useful is a mobile application packaged in PhoneGap without database access?  Can that even be called an application?  This forum is the only place in all of Adobe where I can find a hint of how to accomplish this, but still no definitive path to a solution.

What am I missing? 

Thank you...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sudarshan,

Thank you for the links.  It seems that these tutorials cover having database being stored locally on the device.  I need to make database calls, select, insert, delete to a MySQL database server...  I make web applications in PHP every day and I actually built one in jquery mobile that makes database calls just like any other PHP page.  It works great as a mobile web app used in the mobile browser, but porting this in Phonegap doesn't seem possible.  I understand that JSON is the way to go, but how do I submit data through JSON?  How do I get the data from the server, through a database connection, a query or dreamweaver recordset  and turn that into to JSON

Any ideas?  Many thanks...

Mr. Dolinski

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can call for data on a remote server using a simple AJAX call.

Take a look at this answer from StackOverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7046815/can-i-use-phonegap-jquery-to-make-ajax-calls

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 11, 2013 Apr 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really glad I found this post.  Trying to figure this out has been like a search for the Holy Grail for me.  I just want to be sure that I get a definitive answer.  Can I build an app for mobile devices that has only HTML (and AJAX) that can call my remote server so that once a person downloads my app from say... the app store that when they open it on their phone, they can fill out a form that will post to my remote server?  I just want to be crystal clear on this because I've heard both yes and no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2013 Apr 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. You can allow your app to post the data it collects to a Web server or by using a simple soap or similar web service call.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 16, 2013 Apr 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Sudarshan, but how.  The how is what I think we are looking for here... at least I know I am.  I want a simple example showing me how to post data to a MySQL database using Jquery Mobile client side, and coldfusion server side.  Please, can you give an example?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi idesema,

I found an article that could help you in the time the experts get back with their answers.

http://coenraets.org/blog/2011/10/sample-application-with-jquery-mobile-and-phonegap/

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but I've tried this one. It does not work. Click the example...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2013 Apr 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@idesdema: Have a look at this tutorial: http://www.codeforest.net/jquery-mobile-advanced-tutorial-rss-reader-app

It includes a demo as well as a download link to the source files.

Also, if you want to take it a step further, you can create & manage a 'local database' without having to access anything remotely - basically handling everything at the client's end.

There's a tutorial for that here: http://the-jquerymobile-tutorial.org/jquery-mobile-tutorial-CH22.php

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines