• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help topics are not displaying when using Windows 7 / IE 9 / RH10

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2013 Apr 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently upgraded our library from RH8 to RH10.  Also used a trial version of  RH9 in this process. Now when we compile several of the projects have issues where help topics do not display when selected in the TOC or when a link to the topic is clicked within another internal topic. It is in a continous loop in the browser (like it is trying to load).  If you right-click on the topic it displays (we are currently using this as the work-around).  Anyone else having this problem?? I saw something similiar for Windows8/IE10, but the fix does not apply here (http://forums.adobe.com/message/5138909#5138909#5138909).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2013 Apr 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have corrected the content of your post as it read Windows 9. The issue is in fact purely IE10 and it occurs with webhelp from any version of RoboHelp and is not related to Windows 8.

Whch fix are you referring to? The metatag in Post 34, the Rh patch or the Do Not Track setting?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I work with the original poster and we are, in fact, using Windows 7 and IE9. We use RH10 for all our projects but this issue seems to be limited to one specific project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I meant the issue in the other thread.

The first post indicated it was more than one project, now that it is one project let's look at other causes.

Are you using any redirects?

Does this only occur when the help is called from your software? Is it OK if you double click the start page?

Have you tried deleting the CPD file and reopening Rh and the project?

Try those first and post back.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not  using any redirects. I encounter this issue only in IE. If I paste the .htm into a Firefox browser, the help displays as it should. The only way to get the pages to stop flickering is to right-click on the page. Deleting the .cpd has not helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2013 Apr 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't covered one of the questions I asked -

"Does this only occur when the help is called from your software? Is it OK if you double click the start page?"

If it occurs when opening the project outside of your software, then it may be time for Divide and Conquer.

Zip up the project so you have a copy that cannot accidentally be opened and worked on. That gives you a copy that you can safely revert to later if needed. Save the zip file somewhere safe.

Then create another copy of the project so that you have two copies that can be worked on.

Open Copy 1 and delete half the topics. Ignore any broken links reported. Generate the help from that copy.

Open Copy 2 and delete the other half of the topics. Generate the help from that copy.

It should be the case that one copy is now OK and one still has the problem.

Trash the good copy and then create a second copy of the copy with the problem.

Repeat the process until you have located the topic that is causing the problem.

The process takes less time than you might think.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I (April) apologize I have been OOO and have not been able to respond to your replies.  

Let’s start over. 

We have an issue where help topics do not display when selected in the TOC or when a link to the topic is clicked within another internal topic. It is in a continous loop in the browser (flickering like it is trying to load). If you right-click on the topic it displays (we are currently using this as the work-around).

We use Windows 7, IE9 and RH10 for all our projects. (Recently upgraded from RH8 to RH10)

Turns out the problem is not isolated. I have run across it in at least one other project, which leads me to think it also occurs in others.

• "Does this only occur when the help is called from your software? Is it OK if you double click the start page?"

No. I it ALSO occurs when launched from the start page. 

• Have you tried deleting the CPD file and reopening Rh and the project?

Yes, without success.

• Are you using any redirects?    

Per (Adrienne), “I am not using any redirects. I encounter this issue only in IE. If I paste the .htm into a Firefox browser, the help displays as it should.” 

I will add that the project also displays incorrectly in Google Chrome.

Thanks  April

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2013 Apr 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you know there has been a problem with IE10 and Adobe released some fixes for that. It would do no harm to apply the Rh10 fix. The link is in the Announcements on this forum.

Also do you get this problem with the sample projects? Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2013 Apr 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried the fixes without success. http://helpx.adobe.com/robohelp/kb/help-visible-using-win-8-ie.html

The sample projects worked fine.

We are recreating the bad topics as new topics (copy/paste contents) to fix the pages that are not opening. We are fortunate in that the majority of topics are functioning as expected.  If you come up with anything else for us to try let me know and we will try it.

thanks,

April

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp