• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No opt-in for Google Chrome and Chrome Toolbar in Flash Player update???!!!

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2013 Apr 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who gave you the right to force users to install Chrome and the Chrome Toolbar WITHOUT THEIR KNOWLEDGE?  Did it ever occur to you that your customers might have GOOD REASON not to want to install Chrome and the Chrome Toolbar, OR ANY OTHER SOFTWRE YOU FOIST UPON THEM WITHOUT NOTIFICATION IN A FLASH PLAYER UPDATE!!!???  This is the height of arrongance. From this point on I will NEVER trust an Adobe update. And, if I can find it, I'll also use other vendor's software products.  I've been a BIG Adobe fan since I first started using your products in 1988.  NOT ANYMORE!!!  I've read and ignored the ever-growing chorus of Adobe customers who have become disenchanted with your software and your business practices, believeing that this was the ramblings of a minority of your customers.  But after this morning's forced installation of Google Chrome and Google Toolbar I realize that these customers are correct in their assessment of your company.  Consider me one less satisfied customer who will be telling the proverbial 13 people how utterly dissatisfied I am with your business practices.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this same complaint a number of times here in the forum, and I ask people to provide a screenshot and URL where this is occurring.

So far nobody has ever provided this information, how about you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2013 Apr 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to provide you a  screen shot, but I received no notice from the Flash Update screen that Google  Chrome and the Chrome Toolbar were going to be installed when I clicked the  "Update" button (or "O.K. button or whatever button I clicked).  Given that I  had no warning about the pending installation of these applications, I  trustfully clicked "Install" because I've never had an Adobe update do this  before.  I do remember seeing Flash Update screens in the past that had  checkboxes to install Chrome and the Chrome Toolbar, which I unchecked because I  don't want anything Chrome-related installed on my PC.

If you are being spoofed by a  hijacker this is an even more serious issue than not advising users that you are  going to install additional software.  I'd love to help you solve this problem.   Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill Vallance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

Unfortunately I don’t have any answers. My story is exactly the same as yours. In fact I kept getting Google Chrome d/loaded on to my system and didn’t know how… I’d never sought it.

Yesterday Flash Player wanted to update… and just in the course of installing, I noticed that it was also installing Chrome & Toolbar so I cancelled the installation.

To me it is the height of arrogance that a company can attached to its download something which you do not want and have no choice in having…

The only thing I can think of… and don’t have time today… is to contact Adobe and give them a serve. However, this may not change things either… could be that they have sold ‘attachment rights’ to Google for Chrome/Toolbar… who would know… they should however give the right to refuse.

Similarly I have a Nokia Windows Phone… the updating/sync software required for this is “Zune”. It downloads a whole pile of Apple stuff, “Bonjour, ITunes, Apple Software Support, Apple Updater…(all 280 MB of Apple), whole host of things which I just don’t want or need on my computer… just bugs the hell out of me.. again, no choice, no check boxes. I don’t do “Apple”.. I hate the way that they push advertising… “this email sent by my iPhone”… who gives a…. rats? Don’t get me started… so many things, even down to car purchase and service… they stick their promo stickers all over your vehicle or rego plate… never ask if you want them or not. If I lent/gave objection to everything which bugs me about denigrating ones’ personal choice/privacy… I’d be writing a tome! J

You could try complaining to the communication ombudsman or the body who monitors internet stuff.

Have a good day.

Beasfleas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a screenshot , I can make it happen any time I go to upgrade. NO OPT OUT on the page.  You have to manually edit the URL that the upgrade auto-directs you to in order to get the opt out, but by default it goes to THIS page.

Adobe-Force-Chrome-Google-Toolbar.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with bvallance's words completely... flash player and google chrome should not be bundled.  Choice is our right in life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree as well.  The problem is that I have never seen that, and nobody is willing to provide the information on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I rebooted my PC, Adobe Flash asked if I would like to install "important updates, since i have update set to notify.

Note that I have neither Chrome nor Google Toolbar installed on this laptop, and have never had them on here.

When I selected Yes to Update it sent me to the following URL:

[https://get3.adobe.com/flashplayer/download/?installer=Flash_Player_11_for_Internet_Explorer&os=Wind... | https://get3.adobe.com/flashplayer/download/?installer=Flash_Player_11_for_Internet_Explorer&os=Wind...] 7&browser_type=MSIE&browser_dist=OEM&dualoffer=true&chromedefault=true&type=au&browser_vers=9&a=Google_Toolbar_7.4&a=Google_Chrome_22.0_IE_Browser

Of course it is a long URL so I didnt notice the end bit it decided to add on by itself.

When you run an update from that link, the link that the Adope Update directed me to, it auto installs Chrome and Google Toolbar.

IF you manually edit the URL so that you remove the " &a=Google_Toolbar_7.4&a=Google_Chrome_22.0_IE_Browser " at the end ANd the "&dualoffer=true&chromedefault=true" bit in the middle, then it seems to install an unadulterated version of Flash without Chrome or Toolbar - though it DOES have an OPT IN on that page that you have to de-select first.

We should not have to jump through hoops to keep this stuff off our computers when doing a simple update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks… next time I will give that a go… J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

You'll notice that the Flash Player download now carries a check box to opt

out of Google Chrome. perhaps they did listen to our complaints.

Cheers,

Ursula

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I was just reading beesfleas comment about it now carries a check box to opt out........I just now tried to download it on my new computer and it DID NOT offer an check box to opt out. When I saw it starting to do its thing and I saw Google chrome and toolbar.......I canceled too.  Where does it give you the option?  Maybe I am missing something. thanks so much. 

I appreciate any and all help.

Myrna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2013 Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto. I am livid that there is no Google "opt out" option.

Maybe it's time to ditch Adobe entirely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2013 Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck with that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 15, 2013 Oct 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I manage almost a 1000 users in Active Directory at Yellowstone National Park for Xanterra Parks and Resorts. We are the principle concessionaire at most of the larger national parks in the United States. I am going to do everything in my power to discontinue use of Adobe products and to see to it that Google Chrome and Google Toolbars are never installed on any of the PC's in the Park. Google Chrome has security issues and this simply proves that Adobe management is crooked and can no longer be trusted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aren't you guys closed while Obama and Reid perfect their temper tanturms?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, unfortunately I had to Term-out several hundred people in the last few weeks early because of the shut-down. I can't even hike in the park now and if you do anything recreational like stopping your vehicle and taking a picture of a bull elk or a bear, then you get a $160 fine. One thing most people don't realize is that over half the wolves in Yellowstone have been killed in the last 3 years and more wildlife has been slaughtered under Barack Obama than all the other presidents in the last 40 years COMBINED!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't surprise me a bit. Most "environmentally conscious" people end up doing more harm than good before it's all through.

Here are the links to FULL installers (nothing bundled with them)

Flash Players:

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

Flash Player (Mac OS X)

Adobe Reader:

http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

Those links are updated with each release. The address stays the same, the files update.

Bookmark them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2013 Oct 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HomeYellowstone wrote:

I manage almost a 1000 users ...

You should use a different method to deploy software in that kind of environment; see the Admin Guide at http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/flash_player_admin_guide.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines