• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge keeps crashing on me.

Participant ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very disconcerting. Bridge is continually crashing on me. I open up a folder with a lot of images in it in Bridge and it just crashes. This can go on 5 or 6 times until I just give up. Any ideas? If I reinstall it, using Creative Cloud, I guess I have to uninstall it first. Then, I have to re-install either InDesign or Illustrator, I forget which. So, because of that, I'll need to unintall Illustrator or InDesign, too. Right?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An unistall rarely solves problems.  But before an solutions can be offered we need to know a little more.

WHat OS?  How much RAM?  Is your video driver up to date?  Do you have the latest version of Bridge installed?  (click on Help - updates).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about that. Yeh. I'm on a beautiful iMac, latest generation, OSX 10.8.3. The latest Creative Cloud apps. I've got 32gB of RAM. I just checked my Cloud apps for updates and I just installed a DPS Desktop Tools update. That was all there was. I don't know about video drivers. I've never had to tweak them on my Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a Mac the video drivers are in the OS updates. 

If it is truly crashing look at the crash report.  Copy and paste the top part showing the basic settings and then text of any crashed threads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a beautiful iMac, latest generation, OSX 10.8.3. The latest Creative Cloud apps. I've got 32gB of RAM

Assuming you also have enough free space on your disk (at least 10 %) the specs should be sufficient. Try starting bridge holding down option key and choose reset preferences and purge central cache, then try again.

If no luck delete both Bridge cache and plist file from the user library 9hidden by default, use menu go with option key to reveal)

Quit Bridge and go to:

user/ library/ caches / Adobe/ Bridge CS6/ cache. inhere delete both the plug in and cache folder

same library/preferences inhere find and delete the com.adobebridge5.plist and restart bridge holding down again option key with reset prefs.

If still no success the crash report might be an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got plenty of space. The crash report is completely Greek to me, but, I'll have a look next time this happens. For whatever reason, today, it ain't crashing. Not yet anyway. I'll try your suggestions, though, Omki.

Thanks all,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I take that back. It's crashed twice already this morning. Here's what the crash report has at the top. I can't make any sense of it. I did reseet my preferences. But, I couldn't find the file com.adobebridge5.plist anywhere.

Process:         Adobe Bridge CS6 [3332]

Path:            /Applications/Adobe Bridge CS6/Adobe Bridge CS6.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Bridge CS6

Identifier:      com.adobe.bridge5

Version:         5.0.2.4 (5.0.2.4)

Code Type:       X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd [911]

User ID:         14072

Date/Time:       2013-05-07 08:44:39.792 -0400

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)

Report Version:  10

Interval Since Last Report:          16865 sec

Crashes Since Last Report:           5

Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  11910 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   2

Anonymous UUID:                      4D4F3AFD-FF24-9152-616A-05464085E55A

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's at least one particular folder that continually crashes Bridge on me. It's a folder full of TIFF images. I moved that folder from a Windows server where we've had it for yeasrs to an external drive on my Mac, a Thunderbolt drive--thinking that that would be more stable. But, it's not. When I go to that folder on my Thunderbolt drive, in Bridge, it crashes every time. It also crashes my assistant's Bridge whenever she tries to access it on my external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a good start.  Take 1/2 of the files and move to another directory.  Test and see if either folder causes a crash.  In the one that does divide that in half and repeat until you locate guilty party. 

You only included the first 2 lines of text in the crashed thread, but this usuallly indicates a basic conflict with the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved that folder from a Windows server where we've had it for yeasrs to an external drive on my Mac, a Thunderbolt drive--thinking that that would be more stable

First use Finder to copy the content to a newly created folder and try again, sometimes folders get corrupted.

If not follow the half rules Curt provided.

You should have a Bridge 5 (the version that is included in CS6) plist file in you user library preferences folder. If not you don't have a default install or do you use Bridge over a network?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a disk verify/repair on my external drive and, sure enough, it's so corrupt that I have to re-format it. I've just finished backing it up, so, I'll re-format it now. But, this Bridge crashing problem was happening when this TIFF data folder was on a Windows server, too, so, I'm not sure I can blame everything on this external drive.

No. I do not have the Bridge plist file on my Mac. I've checked agin with Spotlight.

And, no, Bridge is on my Mac. I'm not accessing it over a network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I do not have the Bridge plist file on my Mac. I've checked agin with Spotlight.

Funny enough Spotlight does not find it ever (as Spotlight is known for not finding anything in the best way…)

Use Easy Find (Devon: http://www.devontechnologies.com/products/freeware.html )

this is freeware and has the option to look in packages and hidden files.

As said, the user library is hidden by default since OSX 10.7.

You can Google for an easy terminal command to reveal it or use finder menu Go with option key. When you have the user library visible it should be in the Preferences folder

user (your username/ library/ preferences/ com.adobe.bridge5.plist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use "Find Any File," which is also referenced on the Easy Find web site. And, no, it doesn't find "com.adobebridge5.plist." I'm now in the process of running Disk Warrior on my external drive. I'll let you all know how Bridge behaves once it's up and running again. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to believe Omke that the file is on your machine.  Have seen many Mac users that swear they do not have it.  But it is a hidden file, and remember there is more than one library on a Mac.  Believe one library is hidden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what to say then. I've got "show hidden files" checked in my Finder. I've done a search with Find any File. It ain't there, honest.

And, in the hours between this message of mine and my last one, I've completely reformatted my external hard drive, where this "problem" folder is. And, Bridge still crashes every time I open that folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found it! Yay! So, I'm going to delete it now and then open Bridge with my Option key. I'll let you know. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nah. Didn't work. Still crashes every time I open that folder, and a neighboring folder as well. I'm giving up for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad that you found the file, for the next person how did you finally do that?

You are now back to post #8 to isolate which file it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found it! Yay! So, I'm going to delete it now and then open Bridge with my Option key. I'll let you know. Thanks.

Remember that if you back up and copy same content to newly formatted drive again chances are a corrupted folder stays a corrupted folder.

Here are some thoughts, Either the folders from the previous server are corrupt, or they contain hidden cache files that don't match or interfere with current Bridge or your central cache is functioning wrong.

As said before, the user library is hidden per OSX 10.7 but easy to reveal. I gave you the correct path to both plist and cache file before in one my earlier posts.

If their are no hidden files in the problem folders and you did copy the tiff files to a new empty folder and tried again without luck you have to consider to delete the central cache and plist file manually.

This means you have to recache the lot again but if you are not sure just move the Bridge Cache outside of the user library try again and if it did not help you can quit Bridge again and replace the old files in their original location to get your former state back.

It is no rocket science, just simple replacing or removing files. Both plist file and cache that have been deleted will be automatically replaced with new, empty ones as per factory default after Bridge is restarted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting that  file in Preferences did nothing. It's still crashing. I've run disk verify and repair on the volume this folder is on now, and, it checked out OK. I also ran Disk Warrior on it, and it passed with that, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. A little progress here.  The original folder had about 1,000 images in it--JPEGs, TIFFs, PNGs, whatever. I divided it into four separate folders. Now, I can go into any of those four folders and it doesn't crash! So, is it just because there are too many files for Bridge to digest? This is a graphics program, isn't it? Shouldn't it be able to handle this many images? If not, I guess I'll have to live with it.

Thanks to all of you.

Cheers,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1000 images should make no difference.  Some have 10x that amount in a folder, unless it is the size in mb.  Best to limit folders to under 3-4k to make things run well. 

By dividing it up it had to rebuild cache, perhaps one thumbnail was corrupt.  Glad it is working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 21, 2013 May 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it doesn't work again. Yesterday I literally copied every file in this folder to a sister folder, with Bridge open. I did this for all 800 files. Bridge never crashed. So, I deleted the original folder and now I'm using this new folder. Yesterday, for a few hours, it worked. It worked on my assistant's Mac as well. But, this morning, it's crashing again. I've deleted the cache. There simply is no com.adobebridge* file on my Mac, so, I haven't deleted that. It crashes on my assistant's Mac as well.

I've talked with the Adobe team in India. They really have no suggestions. They blame it on the external hard drive that this folder resides on. But, I've copied the whole folder to my desktop and get the same results. I wish that someone at Adobe could actually read, and interpret, these ridiculous crash logs that it makes. It's very disappointing to me that Adobe has an application that simply crashes. It doesn't give me any warnings. It doesn't give me any hints as to what's wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple has chosen to put the library and files in a hidden location.  So difficult to find.

Are you using some other program to read and or write to these files?  You are introducing an error someplace as it worked fine and then did not.  Do all the thumbs show correctly?  If any just show generic then that file is corrupt.

Look at the file names closely.  Anything after a dot is considered an extension.  So if you have xxxx.october.jpeg it will look for the october extension.  There are also other characters of the OS that are restricted that can cause problems.

Are you still getting the crashed thread 0?  If so post thread 0, the one above only shows the title and 2 lines.

Also, run the permission and disk check utility again.

Do you use any registry cleaners like MacSweeper?  THis has been known to delete good files as well resulting in need to reinstall the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used all of my file finding utilities to find the com.adobebridge* file but I still can't find it. I see other com.adobe files in there, but not that one.

I'm not using any other program to write to these files. But, that's just because they're not in production now. Because it doesn't work. Normally, we would use Photoshop to read and write to these files. They're all bitmapped images.

I get crash messages for every thread, starting with 0. Up to thread 34.

I'll run the disk utility on the disk again. For the umpteenth time. Remember, though, I coped the folder to my desktop and it crashed there, too.

I use MacKeeper, not MacSweeper. Is that what you meant? I know it to delete good language files, but, I've learned to tell it not to ever delete language files. If they are deleted, then, Adobe updates are a problem.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines