Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Please reconsider the cloud-only pricing

May 6, 2013 3:08 PM

Tags: #photoshop #cloud #pricing

I use Lightroom as my primary tool, however, there are times when I need the capabilities of Photoshop.  I don't use it very frequenltly, it does the job when nothing else will do.

The new cloud pricing is horrible for users like me.  Because I use it only a few times/month, I don't need the latest and greatest, so I only update once every three years or so, to get neat features like content-aware fill, and not get too far out of sync with the latest version of Mac OS.

Upgrading typically costs me about $200.  If I switched to the $20/month subscription, I'd pay $720 over that three year period.  It's pretty hard to justify a 300% price increase.

I urge Adobe to reconsider the cloud-only model, because it will eventually drive me away from Photoshop.

Replies
  • JJMack
    5,991 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    May 6, 2013 3:16 PM   in reply to rosspnelson

This is a user forum not an adobe forum Adone has a site for that http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/ideas/popular

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2013 3:25 PM   in reply to rosspnelson

>Upgrading typically costs me about $200.  If I switched to the  $20/month subscription, I'd pay $720 over that three year period.  It's  pretty hard to >justify a 300% price increase.

>I urge Adobe to reconsider the cloud-only model, because it will eventually drive me away from Photoshop.

That would appear to be the whole point. In the past you could choose to upgrade when you thought the new features warranted it (well, at least until recently when they started limiting how old of a version could be upgraded. But, apparently that wasn't good enough).

In the new model, you are forced to either leave, or pay continuously regardless of how appropriate the updates may be for you...

They appear to be betting that the increased revenue will more than make up for any lost users. In your case, if you stay they are way ahead.

Bad for you (and me) in either case though.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 4:33 PM   in reply to Greg Bohn

And for those of us who have to upgrade the entire suite, it's even worse.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 4:53 AM   in reply to rosspnelson

I am in the same boat as you. I hate the whole cloud scheme and there is no way I would participate in it. I would be willing to buy a Photoshop CS6 upgrade but it looks like Adobe is not even selling it any more. Looks like I will stay with Photoshop CS5 indefinitely.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 5:21 AM   in reply to rosspnelson

The idea of CC makes sense FOR SOME USERS.  But if this is such a good deal... why wouldn't Adobe allow us to "foolishly" continue on with the perpetual license option?

The scarier idea is that other companies, like Microsoft, are watching closely.  If Adobe is able to pull off this extortion scheme... imagine what the rest of them will do?

Who can picture a software "membership fee" for $500 PER MONTH, per employee?  $50 for Adoble, $100 to Microsoft, $50 for Quicken/Sage 50, $25 for ACT.  And if these others get away with it... it'll $250 per month for Apple!

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 6:32 AM   in reply to Kopy-Rite

I don't plan to use Cloud - I will keep using what I have (CS6) for many years without any upgrades.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 6:42 AM   in reply to Kopy-Rite

> The scarier idea is that other companies, like Microsoft, are watching  closely.

>  If Adobe is able to pull off this extortion scheme... imagine  what the rest of them will do?

In a way MS is already heading in that direction.  I think they already offer a 'subscription' model for office 365.

And, although not exactly the same, their idea with Windows 8 'Metro' applications is to lock you in so that you can ONLY buy new applications from their built-in store.

That way they decide what is available in the first place, and get a cut of every sale.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 6:46 AM   in reply to Greg Bohn

Greg Bohn wrote:

> The scarier idea is that other companies, like Microsoft, are watching  closely.

>  If Adobe is able to pull off this extortion scheme... imagine  what the rest of them will do?

In a way MS is already heading in that direction.  I think they already offer a 'subscription' model for office 365.

And, although not exactly the same, their idea with Windows 8 'Metro' applications is to lock you in so that you can ONLY buy new applications from their built-in store.

That way they decide what is available in the first place, and get a cut of every sale.

Perhaps, but at least they are using lubrication.

At this point, users can choose between Office 365, or Office 2013 (or whatever version).

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 6:52 AM   in reply to Kopy-Rite

There are several threads regarding the CC, so I've posted this on two of them:

There are many business where the CC is a good solution, mainly for budgeting purposes. But for most individuals this is a bad decision. Adobe could have kept both options in play, ( CC with it's advantages, and perpetual license with its advantages), but it is obvious that Adobe is far more interested in extracting as much $$$ out of its customers as it can. And right now "it can", because it owns the market. But time does not stand still, and competition is a great leveler of the playing field. As other options become available, Paint Shop Pro, Gimp, and the "yet to be created", Adobe may win in the short run, but loose in the end.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 7:06 AM   in reply to JeffN3

I had hoped CC pricing would be equivalent or even less than a Suite purchase and upgrades every 18 months. Unfortunately that is not the case.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 8:23 PM   in reply to rosspnelson

They will only respond to their bottom line so let's watch the stock and see if they relent. after the announcment so far today stock has dipped. There was a bit of action in the last 2 days before the announcement from those in the know on the inside but after the announcement it started to dip again. Let's see how far and if it goes far enough and there are enough unhappy folks they may relent. It's bad business model period in my opinion, feudal and punitive and just plain mean spirited. 

Screen shot 2013-05-07 at 5.08.10 PM.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 11:37 PM   in reply to rosspnelson

I've been a PS user since version 4 (not CS4) and a Lightroom user since v 2.  I am up to date on both (Cs6 and LR4). 

Right now I'm really doubting Adobe and wondering whether to continue with their products. 

I'm concerned about a company failing to continue support its products, about proprietary file formats and being locked into increasingly expensive subscriptions (far more costly that upgrading!), about being able to use the product while travelling but offline, etc.

Adobe, you are causing me to mistrust your organization. 

I'm already wondering what the alternatives are!

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 10:42 PM   in reply to ebmarketa

ebmarketa wrote:

I am in the same boat as you. I hate the whole cloud scheme and there is no way I would participate in it. I would be willing to buy a Photoshop CS6 upgrade but it looks like Adobe is not even selling it any more. Looks like I will stay with Photoshop CS5 indefinitely.

You can STILL purchase CS6 Upgrade Licenses, and will be able to do so for some time.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 11:30 PM   in reply to pf22

YOU CAN STILL UPDATE TO CS6 ANY APP. GO TO THIS PAGE AND DO IT NOW BEFORE THEY PULL THE RUG!!!!.

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_cata log_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html?promoid=KFPMZ

pf22 wrote:

ebmarketa wrote:

You can STILL purchase CS6 Upgrade Licenses, and will be able to do so for some time.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 1:07 AM   in reply to uhanepono

Well, I guess they're saving me money because there is no way I'm paying for "rentware". I have CS5 Extended...haven't upgraded to CS6 not sure if I'll bother since it's all going "cloudware". BTW, thanks for posting the CS6 product link for the looks like last non cloudware version. I'll bookmark that just in case I change my mind about making a final upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 1:48 AM   in reply to Greg Bohn

Greg Bohn wrote:

They appear to be betting that the increased revenue will more than make up for any lost users. In your case, if you stay they are way ahead.

The cynic in me thinks that the camera shake removal tool, which was shown well before CS6 appeared, was held back for CS7, as well as other goodies, to encourage people to go for Cloud. CS6 was a relatively uneventful update. Maybe they're saving all the good stuff for CS7.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,991 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    May 8, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to uhanepono

uhanepono wrote:

They will only respond to their bottom line so let's watch the stock and see if they relent

I agree Adobe will only change their ways if their stock starts to tank could this be their ICEBERG???? Time will tell.....

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 12:09 PM   in reply to rosspnelson

hum... no internet access - no image processing?  What type of bandwidth problems might users expect to encounter working on these huge digital files?

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 2:39 PM   in reply to uhanepono

where can you buy upgrades can"t find them for cs5 extended

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 4:09 PM   in reply to uhanepono

Stock still falling.. if it keeps up they may relent. they get more of their revinue from perpetual licenses so if they are as unhappy as it would appear perhaps they will relent!

Please make it so!! Be PRO CHOISE!

Screen shot 2013-05-09 at 1.05.59 PM.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 4:10 PM   in reply to uhanepono

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 5:19 PM   in reply to uhanepono

UPGRADES TO CS6 INDIVIDUAL PRODUCTS ARE GONE!!

I just checked for upgrades to CS6 perpetual licenses and it looks like they pulled the plug on everything.  The only thing available from the above links are the full price versions or the Cloud.  Fortunately I upgraded my individual programs to CS6, but for others I thought perpetual licenses would still be available until the next version.  What a drastic decision without notice especially for those who were still supposed to have the opportunity to upgrade from CS5-5.5 to CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 5:31 PM   in reply to William Boswell

William Boswell wrote:

UPGRADES TO CS6 INDIVIDUAL PRODUCTS ARE GONE!!

Not really, I just clicked on link and they are there.  You have to click on buy then click on dropdown to choose between Full and Upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 5:50 PM   in reply to Curt Y

The only thing I could find using the links above were the full-price versions and Cloud.  Even browsing and selecting individual programs only shows Cloud memberships and all individual programs followed by "CC."  There is no link to Buy--just Join.  Before they used to have what you describe, but I'm not finding it anymore.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 6:05 PM   in reply to JJMack
    17. JJMack,

May 8, 2013 8:57 AM    in reply to uhanepono 

uhanepono wrote:

They will only respond to their bottom line so let's watch the stock and see if they relent

I agree Adobe will only change their ways if their stock starts to tank could this be their ICEBERG???? Time will tell.....

so far it looks like insiders are short-selling, real "dive" comes when even extended "intro pricing" will not produce any fruit......

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 6:26 PM   in reply to William Boswell

Yes you can still upgrade!! AND you can still buy a full license!! There are no more NEW full licencsed versions. This does not mean adobe will not relent. They may. This move has not been a popular one. pro choise = hope. no choise = resignation. So go to this link

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_cata log_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html?promoid=KFPMZ

and DON'T CLICK ON THE ICON! instead click on the dropdown menu selections off to the rightalong the app your'e interested in.. Make your selections in ALL the pulldown menus and the add to cart wiil activate click add to cart. You must indicate All fields before the add to cart will work. Here's what it will look like. Try it. ...

Well. fracking image uploader won't allow me to upload an image right now... But believe me YOU CAN STILL UPGRADE AND PURCHASE A FULL LICENSE OF ANY CS6 APP.

AGAIN -

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 6:18 PM   in reply to nahravka

The decline of yesterday was around .53 points today how ever the decline was 1.35 points. I watch and wait.

nahravka wrote:

17. JJMack,

May 8, 2013 8:57 AM    in reply to uhanepono 

uhanepono wrote:

so far it looks like insiders are short-selling, real "dive" comes when even extended "intro pricing" will not produce any fruit......

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 6:23 PM   in reply to uhanepono

Adobe stock is now at $44.  It can decline to $38 and still be in an uptrend.  These kind of setbacks are common with announcements, and many will see this as opportunity to buy once it bottoms out as panic declines.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 6:29 PM   in reply to uhanepono

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 6:42 PM   in reply to uhanepono

Okay.  I see what you're saying.  It only works on that page, but when you click on Products way at the top of each page you don't get this when you click on individual products.  It only takes you to the subscription page for that product.  I tried to attach a screen capture image to my last response only it wouldn't let me and gave me an error message.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 6:48 PM   in reply to uhanepono

Also, I didn't want to upgrade because I upgraded all my software to CS6 already.  I was just saying this for those who haven't upgraded yet.

If anyone sees that page like I did, they will think they can only purchase it at full price and not upgrade.  You don't know until you click Buy.  The notes on that page say to go to the CS6 FAQ page which doesn't give clear instructions on how to purchase an upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 8:18 PM   in reply to William Boswell

OK Again I want to reiterate that there is still an upgrade possible for thsoe who want it. This is what to focus on and not get distracted with what did not work. VERY EASY. follow the instructions and bob's yer uncle.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2013 5:44 AM   in reply to rosspnelson

Much has been written on Adobe's announcement to ditch their loyal customers but how can I, having bought CS6 only a few months ago, not contribute with a few words myself?

Being an overseas user, as many others, it was pretty hard to swallow the greedy price increase that Adobe charges its international customers. But Adobe software is generally good software and it's not like they have a lot of competition. Particularly after they killed Freehand. So I bought the software despite its high price and figured that I had made a good deal, all things considered.

Then came Adobe's recent announcement that they will now only pursue the "cloud rental business". Wow! How stupid does an Adobe customer feel after such an announcement?!

It was apparent from Adobe's president rude reaction when questioned about the international greedy prices in an Australian interview that he could care less for Adobe's customers. What was not so apparent was that he would totally make them feel betrayed only a couple of months later.

How sad for such a large company to prove themselves so untrustworthy.

I have nothing more to say to Adobe and no more money to give them in the future.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points