• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too use my software when traveling. I don't always have internet. So not only do I have to pay a monthly subscription, now I have to buy internet service at the hotels, airports and convention centers. NO WAY! That comes out of my pocket!

Corel is the new answer. Corel knew this was coming and made quality improvements to their products and bought competitors to have their technology. I use Creative Suite maybe 6 to 24 times a year. Always on a last minute basis and have always used my educator discount to buy the software and have it standing by.

I cannot or will not pay for subscription just so its ready. I will swallow the one time cost every few years but no way am I doing this. I have been with Adobe since CS2... Adobe, you have lost a customer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2016 Mar 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep.  I'm currently seeking a solution/replacement for Adobe products.  I have used perpetual license since 2006 for Master Suite.  I was willing to pay the price for it and I'm not a professional it's just a hobby for me.  So, as a hobbiest - the rental program isn't worth it.  Pay "x" amount of dollars per month when I may not even utilize it for 3 months in a row.  Just not pr

practical for my situation. 

Adobe - you lost another customer.  I here Corel is providing software that works, their customer support is reportedly good too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seconded. All the lovey-dovey marketing talk they come out with about creating solutions and new ways forward really won't change the reality: this is creating a problem.

Does anyone have an email address that we can use to complain directly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to get the mailing address. Adobe has no way of contacting them other than that or in here. Nice support huh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a flagrant, misguided, and just plain greedy way for Adobe to try, and I mean try, to milk its customers...I do not think this will succeed. I've used Adobe software since it acquired FrameMaker and Pagemaker. I remember Photoshop 2. Been loyal and honest and I could not be more incensed at this "upgrade" scheme! If this decision stands, I too will find alternatives and I will encourage all my design professional colleagues to do the same.

Maybe I'll buy a few shares of their stock, so I can place a shareholder proposal opposing this scheme on their corporate ballot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just an amateur. A retired teacher who loves photography. I own CS4 and can't currently afford to upgrade that, so do my nikon raw conversions elsewhere since Adobe already refuse to upgrade CS4 to cope with newer Nikons.

Now Adobe you want me to pay HOW MUCH each month?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

And my answer is NO.

I suspect that your decision has just lost you the loyalty of every single amateur, and individual in the world. Or I hope it has.

Been with you for 20 years +, but clearly now, time to say bye bye.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johndut,

My views entirely!  Except that I go back with Adobe only thirteen years.

With luck, this innovation will turn out to be known as "Creative Cloud Cuckoo Land", but I doubt it.  This model seems to be the way the software world is headed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also.

This kind of software distribution is bullshit.

I want to buy and to OWN my software.

Maybe - in times I have no money for, I want to have accesss to my files.

I don´t want to travel (maybe in the last corner of this planet or on sea) without having to greet Adobe (and to let them know where I am and what I´m doing)!

And: If I created content over the years - I cant´t quit my membership. Because in case of that: All my files are no longer to use.

And if the membership will cost XY today... What´s in a couple of years? When all your files will be useless when you quit membership?
I don´t know which marketing-guy (and I think there are many at Adobe) has born this shit.

I will have to look for alternatives if Adobe won´t make a step back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no confusion on my part. My desktop is not connected to the internet. So I cannot install or use the software. End of story. If it came on a disc I could install it and use it. I could download updates from the internet and sneakernet them to my desktop. You “defense” of this new model is poor at best. That is what we can expect from “fanboys”. Really though, the average casual user is priced out of this model. Maybe we only make up a small percent of users but Adobe WILL lose that small percent. I have a feeling though that the percent of casual users is higher than they admit. This idea is not fully back internally. Some people with a financial interest in profits are not happy. Google it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Adobe needs to add an option something like....

"If you have had a CC subscription for <some amount of time> and you choose to stop your subscription, you can pay <some amount of money close to a typical upgrade fee> to obtain a permanent license for your current configuration."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be a good and helpful option, IMO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wake up Adobe, and LISTEN to us. We don't want to be FORCED into the cloud. You are going to lose us as customers if you don't give us a way to buy the software. I REFUSE to join the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be a lot more excited about this move if:

1) They could offer a buyout at the end (current version you are using, no updates or access to cloud products, just core programs, or choice of core programs)

2) They could at least match the cost of a 2-year upgrade cycle (what many pros use).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JoRoxy wrote:

I would be a lot more excited about this move if:

1) They could offer a buyout at the end (current version you are using, no updates or access to cloud products, just core programs, or choice of core programs)

2) They could at least match the cost of a 2-year upgrade cycle (what many pros use).

This is what I've been saying. As we all know it's all about money. It would be profitable for Adobe to offer  the option to continue to use the software at the state it was in at prescription end. This could be done with an incentive to subscribe for x amount of time or with an additional fee. I think this would make a lot of people happy and make Adobe more money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We currently have 10 licenses. If i read it right, it's going to cost us 700 dollars a month to access the software. (for the first year, price is sure to go up after that..and that 'two people can share' bit doesn't apply, we use them simultaneously)

RIght now we have bean counters looking for any and every opportunity to save a buck. They look at $700 a month, $8400 a year, and then add in our hourly salaries and thing 'gee, why am I paying these folks when I can contract out to a consultant for less, and don't have to pay benefits'

This will literally get people 'downsized'.

We can justify a 'every two year software upgrade' in our capitol outlay, we can't justify monthly rental - not to mention the fact that we're tied to always paying it or we lose access to our work.

Cloud storage and collaboration is a no-go. a) we dont' collaborate, b) we're not putting our projects out on the internet where anyone, theoretically, can have access. Too much propriatary data.

We'll stick with our CS6 as long as we possibly can and look for alternatives. Surely in that time someone will come up with something comparable to cater to those that leave Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Fun part is that they have already made enhancements to things like Photoshop that you can only get on the cloud. Boxed software users are being screwed over already:

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

(From 13.1)

Notice the 'Creative Cloud Only' part.

Boxed software users are now second class citizens to Adobe, after paying out tremendous amounts of money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This change of pricing model is completely unacceptable. I've been using Photoshop for years. Until now, it has cost me $150 or so every 18 months to upgrade. With this pricing change, it will cost me $19.99 x 18 months to use Photoshop over the same period of time. That's around 2.5x as much. I'll keep using my existing version of PS as long as it works but I'll be looking for alternatives rather than be gouged by this new pricing plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am deeply disappointed in Adobe. Very disrespectful towards their customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work for a school and update the CS programs every three to four years, basically when we have money for it.  This year we have money for it and I was planning on getting CS7, upgrade from CS5.5.  I learned from our rep that we can only buy CS6 or we can rent CC for two years all for the same price.  That just makes no sense.  I can buy a two year old program suite, for a lot of money, or rent the latest version for two years.  This is for teaching high school students.  In two years I am not going to have the money to buy CC for another two years, it takes a lot of fund raising and grant writing to keep the software updated every 3-4 years.   It just amazes me they decided to go this way, it effectively forces my program to find alternatives.  Just going to stick with 5.5 for the next couple of years and find something else for video and design classes in the mean time.  Hopefully they will change this model and find better rates to charge schools, it basically came out to just under 20 bucks a seat per month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I hate the new plan. I upgrade only when there are compelling reasons for it, it could be every two or three releases. The current price is too much. DanDanThePhotoMan (above) makes a good case for $11/month pricing, and that's only fair if you upgrade every time.

-----

Edit by author: Extending Dan...'s thought, it would make sense for Adobe to provide lower priced maintenance or upgrade subscriptions for people who now have perpetual license products that would be eligible for an upgrade. New users who start with Creative Cloud could pay the full $50/month to start but it would eventually revert to a lower maintenance subscription after a period of time, maybe 3 years (the equivalent of 2 upgrade cycles).

-----

Edit by author: Ok, I see they've got something like that for single products at https://creative.adobe.com/plans?plan=single where you can choose "CS3+purchase" and subscribe for $10/month. For how long I wonder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PROTEST THE CC DECISION AT MAX

I'm not normally an activist, but this has outraged me, and as Aaron Tippin would say "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

I still have the slightest glimmer of hope that someone in upper management at Adobe will realize this is a huge mistake and change it.

They can still have the cloud, I just want the choice to buy the software.

So I challenge those of you at MAX to go buy a poster board and a sharpie and TELL ADOBE HOW YOU FEEL.

Ideas for your poster are:

ADOBE, Give us a choice!

If I can't buy, we say GOODBYE

Carry them proudly in the lobby tomorrow and Friday as you go to your meetings! Don't be an ant in the Adobe colony, be a leader. Be an innovator. Stand up for what is right, and call them on this decision, because it's wrong.

And please sign the petition!

http://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-t he-mandatory-creative-cloud-s...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the only problem is pricing. As a photographer I only use two programs and paying $600 every year to use them is not realistic. A price of $10 per month per program would be much more doable. Adobe please reconsider your pricing scheme. I don't want to pay for apps I never use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines