Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What happens to my work when I cancel my subscription?

May 7, 2013 4:02 AM

Tags: #file_access #subscription #file_compatibility

Assuming I have subscribed to Creative Cloud for some years, and some circumstance leads me to cancel my subscription, what happens to my work after cancellation. How do I open these native files (.indd, .ai, .psd) ?

If I am a subscriber to Creative Cloud, can I share native files with someone who has CS 6 or will the files be incompatible?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2013 4:40 AM   in reply to Pauls Sloss

If you cancel your paid membership you will still have access to the free level of membership, which provides 2GB of storage. You will have a 90-day grace period to download your files to your local machine, and delete online files to get your cloud storage down to 2GB (or to purchase additional storage separately if you choose). If you leave more than 2GB of files in your cloud storage for more than 90 days, you may lose access to some or all of your files.

Please refer the below FAQ and it will answer most of your queries:

http://www.adobe.com/in/products/creativecloud/faq.html

-Harshit yadav

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2013 5:01 AM   in reply to Pauls Sloss

You convert them to standardized formats before you cancel, if you don't have other software that can understand them.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 5:51 AM   in reply to Pauls Sloss

Yes, that's correct, but you have paid the same amount of money as you would pay for a non-time-limited version. That's a really consumer-friendly distribution way. Sorry for my bad english, im german, and do my very best.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 5:52 AM   in reply to Pauls Sloss

Hi Pauls,

Once you cancel your subscription, the product installed on your system would work fine for the consecutive 30 days as a trial version. Once those 30 days are up , your files and softwares would still be there but the software would then be giving you a pop up window requesting you to purchase the subscription . Without doing that , the product wouldnt work .

"If I am a subscriber to Creative Cloud, can I share native files with someone who has CS 6 or will the files be incompatible?"

For the above mentioned question,Yes ! you are able to share your files (your projects) with another user who has CS6.

i hope this helps.

Kartikay Sharma

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 6:02 AM   in reply to Kartikay_Sharma

Incorrect.

• As of right now (with Creative Cloud running CS6 apps) most of your files are compatible, but any Cloud-only features you have used in your work are of course not supported in the perpetually-licensed version.
    • When the new version (CC) ships, only some of the applications will include support for saving files into CS6-compatible formats. CS6 will officially become a legacy version at that time.

Kartikay_Sharma wrote:

"If I am a subscriber to Creative Cloud, can I share native files with someone who has CS 6 or will the files be incompatible?"

For the above mentioned question,Yes ! you are able to share your files (your projects) with another user who has CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 10:33 AM   in reply to Kartikay_Sharma

Kartikay_Sharma wrote:

Hi Pauls,

Once you cancel your subscription, the product installed on your system would work fine for the consecutive 30 days as a trial version. Once those 30 days are up , your files and softwares would still be there but the software would then be giving you a pop up window requesting you to purchase the subscription . Without doing that , the product wouldnt work .

Yep unlike a magazine subscription which leaves you with the magazine when the subscription expires. Your software will be ripped from your hands with no recourse. I would be fine if there was an option to keep using the software at it's curret state with no cloud or update benefits. I would even be ok if this option had certian subscriptiuon lenght requirements. If not I maybe using my CS6 for a long time saving in tiff and looking elswere.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 8:04 PM   in reply to SteveRuddy

A magazine 'subscription' is not a valid comparison. With Creative Cloud you are buying a temporary license to use something for a month/year but ownership of the product is never transfered - you should compare it with renting a car; which of course is not yours to keep.

Even with a boxed copy and a perpetual license you are purchasing only the license to use the software.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 3:16 AM   in reply to Pauls Sloss

Exactly. It´s not only a rental method for software.

It´s like rental your own files and work.

Absolutely unacceptable without a Buy-out solution!!!

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 3:59 AM   in reply to Kartikay_Sharma

Note everyone who subscribes to the Creative Cloud will have CS6 to fall back on. For them, they will be left high and dry if they quit their subscription.

While some files are easily converted to other formats, or read by other software, some formats are not -- particularly InDesign.

I will use CS6 until it stops working on newer OS versions, and then I'll look for alternatives.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 5:47 AM   in reply to benwiggy

People will have CS6 to fall back on....unless Adobe puts in some 'feature' into all their programs, and shock of shocks, that feature isn't backwards compatible and sorry, doesn't work. Will they? who knows, could they? sure.

Just like the common response to 'i'll lose access to my work, won't i" and adobe responds 'as long as you save your work in a non-propriatary format, you'll have access'....ok, who puts in the ability to save to a non-propriatary format???? The very same folks that want you to continue to pay a monthly sub to access your files.

Honestly, if someone wants long term access to their files then they should never use CC7. Because you'll never know what obstacles have been written into the code until it's too late.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 5:56 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

What are these formats you mean in case of InDesign or AfterEffects?
    How will I be able to work with my work after end of subscribtion?
    THERE ARE NO SUCH FORMATS - THAT´S IT!!!
    Hiring into cloud is hiring your own work!

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 6:28 AM   in reply to rainschub

And remember that everyone who wants to cooperate, has to have a subscription too (or a free trial version).

There is a lot of misconception about the 'cloud', your files don't have to be saved in the cloud, the only internet-connection happens once in 30 days to check your subscription.

But the fact that your created files cannot be accessed without the CC software is pretty scary.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 6:35 AM   in reply to W. Bravenboer

I know, that i can keep my files. But only having a look on the nice finder icons is not making me happy.

There are no formats for InDesign, AE etc. which I can use after I end subscription. And so these files are lost for me.

Great plan Adobe! That´s the way of catching clients.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 11:10 AM   in reply to Pauls Sloss

Pauls Sloss the following information is available within the Creative Cloud FAQ - http://www.adobe.com/in/products/creativecloud/faq.html

Many of the Creative Cloud desktop applications provide the ability to export files to the Creative Suite 6 version of that same application. This allows you to export your work to Creative Suite 6, which is available via a perpetual software license.

Adobe plans to continue to support the ability to export to Creative Suite 6 in applications where it is available when it ships.

New features added to the desktop applications after Creative Suite 6 may not be supported in the exported file, or supported by the Creative Suite 6 application.

The following applications support the ability to export to the CS6 versions of the application:

• Photoshop
    • InDesign®
    • Illustrator
    • Flash® Professional
    • Dreamweaver®

Applications not listed here may not support exporting to Creative Suite 6, and may not do so in future releases.

New features added to the above list after Creative Suite 6 may not be supported in the exported file, or supported by the Creative Suite 6 application.

You will continue to have access to free Creative Cloud member benefits, and if you saved your work to your computer you will continue to have access to those files. You will no longer have access to the Creative Cloud desktop applications or most of the services that are components of a Creative Cloud membership.

If you purchased an annual individual membership plan and you cancel after the first 30 days but before meeting the 12-month commitment date, you will be charged 50% of the remaining amount left on your contract.

If you cancel your paid membership you will still have access to the free level of membership, which provides 2GB of storage. You will have a 90-day grace period to download your files to your local machine, and delete online files to get your cloud storage down to 2GB (or to purchase additional storage separately if you choose). If you leave more than 2GB of files in your cloud storage for more than 90 days, you may lose access to some or all of your files.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 11:36 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

So, those that decide to quit their subscription must buy CS6, (for how long will that product be supported on more advanced hardware/software?), to be able to access files, although newer functionality won't be included.

And when you say "if you saved your work to your computer, you will continue to have access to those files" -- do you just mean that we can continue to store them on our disks, but without the means to view, edit or print them?

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 11:36 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Absolutely unacceptable!

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 11:57 AM   in reply to Pauls Sloss

My biggest gripe is that you end up with nothing once you stop paying. No software, no way to open your files, etc. If you decide not to renew, maybe Adobe should let you keep what you have as-is at the completion of your contract, obviously with no services, upgrades etc. It would be nice to at least have something to show for putting in thousands of dollars in subscription fees over the years.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 12:11 PM   in reply to Proficient01

That´s the point.

Adobe didn´t offer a buy-out solution and so you can pay lifetime if you want to print out your own work.

That´s not hiring software - that´s hiring your own archive!

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 12:20 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

That's completely unacceptable!
    Not only you "rent" me the software instead of selling it, you rent me my work too O__o

You make my work useless after CS6 will inevitably die.

And to gain what?
    To pay for upgrades when YOU decide?

Nice business plan. You are already searching for a new employe right? Because Cassandra says: 2-3 years and Adobe will be dead by his own decisions. Good bye!

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 1:22 PM   in reply to benwiggy

Benwiggy the files will still be available on your computer.  The Creative Cloud Connection FAQ states the following:

When files are moved in the local Creative Cloud Files folder do they still exist locally? Are they available when disconnected?

Yes. When you move files in the local Creative Cloud Files folder and Creative Cloud Connection app is running, they automatically sync with to the Creative Cloud. When you look at these files in the Finder or Explorer, you can see their status. Files currently syncing have blue arrows, and the files sync'd to the cloud have a green check mark.

If you don't have an Internet connection, syncing automatically pauses and resumes when the connection is restored. While you are disconnected, you have complete access to these files for editing. The menu and tray icons change status to let you know when you are disconnected/connected and if sync is active.

You can find more details at Creative Cloud Connection FAQ - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-connection-faq .html#id_70488.

Please see the Creative Cloud FAQ document, referenced in message #1 and #20 regarding your questions for opening and working with the files.  I believe the relevant elements can be found in the first two questions answered in message #20.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 1:31 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

That doesnt fit completely: It only answers, that the files are stored local.

It doesnt say the ugl truth: No after end of subscripton you have no longer any software to edit your files - which was the second part of the question.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 1:51 PM   in reply to rainschub

Rainschub the German version of the Creative Cloud FAQ can be found at http://www.adobe.com/de/products/creativecloud/faq.html.  The elements which I would recommend reviewing are as follows:

• Unterstützen die neuen CC-Applikationen den Export von Dateien zur Weiterbearbeitung mit CS6-Programmen?
    • Welche CC-Applikationen unterstützen den Export nach CS6?

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 2:07 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

I already read this.

And is like I say: At this point (today) the files are (nearly) the same and can be opened. But from that moment on, CC is moving on, new features will build in. It´s no longer compatibel. There is NO WRITTEN GUARANTY from Adobe, that this behaviour will be the same in future. There is also the formulation "Many of the applications..." (not all - and that´s only for the moment).

By the way I talked with German support and they told me... Yes, when the Software evolution of CC goes on, I will not be able to open files with the (then) older CS6.

InDesign was never compatible with the version only one step below.

And in the List of Apps which can be opened with CS6 for the moment (let´s see what happens in june, when new features are build in to fix on new customers) After Effects and Premiere are missing - They are the first which can not be opened after you quit your subscription.

My panic of Adobes Act is not without substance.

And the DAX says -7% till monday.

PS.: There is also a warning at the end of the description you referenced, that future versions "may be" (Adobe Slang... Translation is: "are not") not compatible to CS6.

So. Where is the Guaranty, that I can open nad print my own files after the subscription end.

If you give me your word, thet I can open and print all CC 7, 8, 9... files with my Adobe Master Collection CS6 i will subscripe.

You definately know: IT ISN´T!

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 2:31 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Jeff, I'm not questioning the physical location of the data: I'm questioning the utility of the data.

When you end the subscription, what can you do with the files (once CS6 has become redundant)?

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 2:40 PM   in reply to benwiggy

Benwiggy and Rainschub I don't have any additional information to provide beyond the information already offered within this discussion.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 2:44 PM   in reply to benwiggy

You can see, Jeff A Wright told me to have a look on the specification.

For the moment some (not all) Applications of CC can export files, which CS6 can open and work with.

PS, InDesign, Illustrator, Flash Prof., Dreamweaver are in the list here on the german product side.

All the others not (eG AE, Premiere).

In the future, when new features are added, the Apps (Adobe descripes it) "may not be compatible any longer".

With other words: There is absolutely no written guaranty from Adobe, that you can use your future CC files with CS6.

Only for the moment these 5 Apps will be able to export compatible files. No guaranty for the future.

If you then quit CC you have the risk that you can´t use your own files any longer (can´t open, can´t print, etc.) without reactivating CC. It´s like selling your soul to the dvil.

Drugs are forbidden. Adobe not.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to benwiggy

As you can see, he didn´t negate it - I´m absolute shure it´s true what I say.

If you are in the US:
    http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html

Can the new CC application export to CS6?

Which CC applications support export to CS6?

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 3:16 AM   in reply to Pauls Sloss

The short answer is this. YOU still have the files, you just can't do anything with them. LOL

YES, they are holding YOUR ARTWORK HOSTAGE.

This is why Adobe reps won't tell you. They just give you legel talk.

What a slap in the face of long time users.

Adobe is worse than the cable company now.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 5:58 AM   in reply to Scott Olmstead

At this point in time, upgrading to CC7 is a one way street to perpetual monthly payments to access any and all files. There is no safety net, no way back. ANd, as has been suggested above, even keeping CS6 as a backup is temporary and a non-reliable backup at best due to the incompatibility of new features with the older version.

It all boils down to users either accepting that they need to pay a montly fee to access their files, or they refuse the update and let the numbers speak for themselves. (and that's all the execs will care about, if the sales don't hit their projections and the company can't hit its profit margin)

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 7:21 AM   in reply to rainschub

"So. Where is the Guaranty, that I can open nad print my own files after the subscription end."

This is the main point. Adobe just screwed the whole industry. All trust in this company is shattered by now.

As soon as the CC becomes industry standard, Adobe can (and probably will) skrew us again as they see fit for their own profit. Drastic price raises, stronger limitiation to your own files.. who knows.

Subcribing to CC means putting yourself and your work in the hands of a company that showed us already they do anything for their own good without considering their customer base.

And: Who knows if Adobe decides to discontinue CC and years or decades of work become inaccessable?
    Or (and that is also quite possible) Adobe goes bankrupt. Bam. Years of work locked up.

The solution stays: The industry must not adopt this prison-like solution, the majority has to use CS6 and not pay another cent to Adobe until they sell us software again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 7:44 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

What do you mean by standardized format? are you referring to IDML?

I really think that this is a terrible move by Adobe, most people I speak to are saying that they will stick with CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to Shinytom2

What i would really like to see is the data at which Adobe is basing it's arrogant claim that "the majority of our customers are really happy with this subscription model". It seems to be either a blatant lie or a questionnaire seriously rigged towards making creative cloud look better than it is. Adobe stock owners should hold those that lied about this accountable and they probably will when the stock price goes south.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points