• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How does Sony Vegas Pro 12 compare to Premiere Pro CS6?

May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About 2 months ago, I purchased Premiere Pro CS6 retail box version from Best Buy.  With everything going to the CC, I can't get upgrades unless I join the CC.  This is NOT something I want to do!  I would like to know if the chroma keying and image stabilization in Sony Vegas pro 12 are just as good or similar to Premiere Pro? I already read about how to transfer the product license on the Adobe website.  If I decide to make the switch, I will list my Premiere Pro on Ebay. Another reason why I may want to get Vegas Pro is because I found out about the AVCHD bug in Premiere AFTER I purchased it.  It has been over a year and Adobe has still not fixed the bug. I have a feeling they will never fix the bug because of the new CC vesion.  I am currently about half way through the classroom in a book from Adobe and have not yet edited any of my own videos.  My video camera is a Canon Vixia HF S20 and my computer is a new Dell XPS 8500 with Core i7 and 12 GB of ram. Just a bit frustrated on what to do.  If I can't sell my Premiere Pro for a good enough price, I will keep it and switch to Vegas or some other program after it becomes obsolete.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That might be a better question to ask in the Vegas forums.  Users there will likely have better knowledge on the capabilities of that program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He's asking for a comparison, not just an assessment of Vegas. I'll bet there are more switchers over the past couple years from Vegas, so this is the perfect place (lounge) for such a discussion. I'm curious.

Vegas comes with 3D support included?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download a fully functional demo of Sony Vegas 12 Pro.  That's what I did.  So far I like it and will be making the switch to Sony Vegas 12 Pro.

They also have Suite version which include HitFilm 2 Ulimate.  This program is like After Effects.  I haven't started playing with that yet.

Also, there is Movie Studio 12 Platinum Visual Effects Suite 2.  That's a mouth full.  Anyhow, it is based on Sony Vegas 12 and it comes with HitFilm 2 Express.  The Express version is a stripped down version of HitFilm 2 Ulimate.  The Express version is still a great program for adding effects.  For some people Movie Studio 12 is all they will need,

Both version, Vegas and Movie Studio, have GPU acceleration which is really nice. 

I also just picked up Corel PaintShop Pro X5 Ultimate.  It sells for $69.95 and it can open and save .PSD files.  So I don't have to worry about all of the .PSD files I saved in Photoshop

Right now I have CS5 and CS6.  Premiere CS6 has a lot of bug, the AVCHD spanning clips, slow motion that jitters, caching problem, slower exports, etc.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2014 Jan 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"They also have Suite version which include HitFilm 2 Ulimate.  This program is like After Effects.  I haven't started playing with that yet."

Uh no.   Saying HitFilm is like After Effects is like saying a kitchen knife is like a machete.  I have great disdain for the hackjob that is Premiere but the Premiere After Effects (and Red Giant) monster beats nearly any NLE out there.  The Lightworks/Fusion combo is the only thing that comes close.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 06, 2014 Jan 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why resurrect an old thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HD VID Dan wrote:

Another reason why I may want to get Vegas Pro is because I found out about the AVCHD bug in Premiere AFTER I purchased it.  It has been over a year and Adobe has still not fixed the bug. I have a feeling they will never fix the bug because of the new CC vesion.

Hey HD Vid Dan,

The AVCHD spanning bug still might get fixed, but right now we don't know. It's a very difficult one. As of now, I am still advocating for this fix. Sorry for any trouble this has caused you.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

The AVCHD spanning bug still might get fixed, but right now we don't know. It's a very difficult one. As of now, I am still advocating for this fix.

This does not really give me any confidence in Adobe giving it sufficient attention. It might or it might not be fixed. It is over a year, just like some bugs I reported early in the CS6 cycle. Mark informed me they were being deferred to CS8 or later. The caching bugs are still there. Other bugs that Bill and I reported were marked as solved when they weren't and are now marked again as to be reviewed. I'm losing my confidence in Adobe and the capability to solve bugs, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan,

One step that you might wish to take, should you go with another NLE, and ditch PrPro, is to get the License Transfer paperwork from Adobe. When that process has been completed, state that you do have that paperwork, when you list the program on eBay, as so much software there is NOT legal.

Once, that transfer paperwork could be done via FAX, but not sure how it is handled now - it would be worth a Live Chat, or similar.

Good luck, and you are not alone with your feelings on the CC license issue.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good advice, Bill, Thanks!  I think, for now, I am going to keep and continue learning how to use PrPro.  After looking at other PrPro's on Ebay, I found that new (unopened) ones were going for about as low as I would be willing to sell my open and registered (used) one for.  I think in order for me to sell my PrPro on Ebay, I would have to choose a price lower than I would like to get.  I also have been reading on several forums that the Sony Vegas Pro 12 has a big problem with crashing by many users!  I know I could use a free trial of Vegas.  At this point, even if there were no problems with Vegas, I'm sure I would be losing money if I made the switch. 

I have had my existing NLE, Corel Videostudio ProX3 for about five years now.  I'm hoping I will get a good 5+ years of good use with my PrPro which I bought about two months ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2013 Oct 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Sony Vegas Pro for many years and am currently on v.11. I have a great computer with lots of memory and as an IT professional know how to tune it. However, Vegas crashes constantly. Sometimes just clicking somewhere and it crashes. It almost always crashes when using the ProTitler tool. They don't seem to have any interest in fixing these ongoing issues that we have been reporting for years. I came here to see if PPro would be a better option. I'm guessing not. I'll check out Edius.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Oct 01, 2013 Oct 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are reading an old thread. The AVCHD issue was fixed.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2013 Oct 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Steven.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video777,

I have to admit that I have never even seen Vegas Pro, but regarding the Titler, something that really plays havoc with PrPro's Titler, is bad, corrupt or just poor-written fonts. Same for Adobe Ps. Both Adobe programs are very, very sensitive to fonts. It could be the same with Vegas, though that would not explain the other crashes. For more background on fonts (in Ps, or PrPro Titler), see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2186476#2186476 might be something in there, to help with the Titler in Vegas?

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill. I have never heard that this problem might be with fonts. I do have a lot of 3rd party fonts installed and some I've been using for many years. I will take your advice and see if there are any that are corrupt. It would be great to have that problem resolves since Vegas meets all my needs as long as it isn't crashing constantly. FYI - It just crashed five times in the last 30 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines