• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Pro cs5 has eaten a free space on the hard drive!

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2011 Oct 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The initial video file was about 1Gb, I needed to cut it and add audio to it. I tried exporting with DV PAL encoding, there was about 15Gb of free space on the hard drive. It took a long time to export and somewhere at 90% it showed the message that free space on the drive was out. I closed Premiere, the target directory where encoded AVI should be exported was empty. The search by name doesn't find anything. Disk cleanup freed only 5Gb. Could you please tell me what the directory where Premiere store a temporary files while Encoding Sequence.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where you tell it to go.

I see: "on the hard drive" as singular, meaning that your system does not meet minimum requirements. Take into consideration that Adobe requires at least a dedicated 7200 RPM SATA disk next to the OS disk and none should be filled more than 70%. That is easy to accomplish with todays prices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The directory I told it to go doesn't weigh 15Gb. I'm running Premiere on my laptop and doing all the operations on the system disk C:\ I thought 15Gb of free space is quite enough for such operation. Btw any kind of HDD once will be FULL in such way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of new hard drives weigh over a terabyte.

BTW, DV weighs about 13GB per hour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally you are about I should free space on the system disk by deleting unnecessary fles. It seems to be a space just fled into a nowhere. (-.-)

So if I use an external HDD will the encoding affect the system disk C:\ ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2011 Oct 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Forums: Generic Guideline for Disk Setup

Preferably only use eSATA connections. USB2 is only good for backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2011 Oct 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out that Adobe stores temporary data in "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\....\Adobe" but system disk cleanup doesn't affect these files. So you are free to delete it manually.

THANKS EVERYONE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2011 Oct 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found saved files eating up a 87GB of space in two locations:

1)  "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp"  (5GB)

2)  "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache Files"  (82GB) All of the working files are created here and can be deleted. This is where the Indexed and Conformed files are saved.

Thanks, I have been trying to find these files for a while now.as they were eating up my hard drive space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2013 May 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow.  Thanks so much for this, 123.  I was looking everywhere for the temp files as well.  I was really worried that my solid drive space is going to run out.  I redirected the saved media files cache folder to this one, so I can just clean it out from the Preferences folder in Premiere.  Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2011 Nov 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have a very similar problem.  A few days ago I was alarmed to see all of a sudden my Main Hard Drive full. 

The editing station that I'm working on is a new computer and all media and scratch disks are assigned to a project folder on another hard drive.

I started digging through the main drive to find what is loading the drive and realized that Media Cache files folder has over 30 Gigabytes of data in it!

In the Adobe Premiere Media Settings there is an option to redirect the Cache files or Save them next to originals check box (Which I selected).

This brings me to very important questions:

1. What is the correct process of setting up Adobe Premiere project so there are no temporary, cache, pre-renders.... clog up the main drive or get scattered elsewhere? It would be very preferable to keep everything in one project folder.
  2. Should I redirect or keep the files with originals?
  3. Besides Scratch disks and Media Cache files are there any other files generated by the program?   If there is, where can I find them?
  4. Once I complete my project and want to completely delete it from my computer, what is the correct way of removing everything so nothing is left over from the deleted project?

Answers to these questions are very important for me and I would be very grateful to get answers to them 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2014 Aug 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone ever answer these questions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2014 Aug 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1-YOU tell Premiere where to put project and temporary files when you create a new project... I tell PPro to put "everything" project and temporary in E:\Adobe

2-I use 4 drives, read reply #6 for my hardware list in https://forums.adobe.com/message/6536849

3-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1007934?tstart=0 see reply 4 for the setting that you need to manually change... and then delete any old temp files

4-I delete every UNDER the E:\Adobe directory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines