• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ask to Save Changes When You've Made None?

Explorer ,
May 13, 2013 May 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 64-bit. Framemaker 11, Build 11.0.1.382

I have two files in a book (out of 5) that always ask if I want to save changes - even when I've made none.

I have checked this repeatedly... just open the file and then immediately close without touching the document. The other three files (with very little content right now) do not exhibit this behavior.

What might cause this?

5-13-2013 1-40-30 PM.png

I've seen this posting, but for me... it's not every file.

1.jaloren28,

Mar 28, 2012 10:58 AM   in reply to Terri in Wis Rapids

Since its happening with every file, my suspicion is that your application data is corrupted. Try this:

1. close down framemaker.
  2. delete the following directory: C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\
  3. reopen framemaker and see if the problem is reproducible.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 13, 2013 May 13, 2013

I'm betting you have alerts (fonts, xrefs, etc) suppressed via the Prefs. Thing are substituting upon open, but you're not seeing the messages.

Also, FM keeps track of many things (text symbols, rulers, etc.) that you likely don't consider "changes" to your document. Changing those setting results in the same mssg upon close.

-Matt

Matt R. Sullivan
co-author Publishing Fundamentals: Unstructured FrameMaker 11
P: 714.798.7596 | C: 714.585.2335 | matt@mattrsullivan.com

@mattrsullivan LinkedIn facebook

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm betting you have alerts (fonts, xrefs, etc) suppressed via the Prefs. Thing are substituting upon open, but you're not seeing the messages.

Also, FM keeps track of many things (text symbols, rulers, etc.) that you likely don't consider "changes" to your document. Changing those setting results in the same mssg upon close.

-Matt

Matt R. Sullivan
co-author Publishing Fundamentals: Unstructured FrameMaker 11
P: 714.798.7596 | C: 714.585.2335 | matt@mattrsullivan.com

@mattrsullivan LinkedIn facebook mattrsullivan.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Thanks, Matt. That was it. I inserted these "special characters" from WingDings using the Windows Character  utility. I noticed (after that) the "font substitution" message appearing from that point on telling me that "MS Shell Dlg 2" font is not available. I found it was pointing to these new symbols (the only thing that could cause the font message), but I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it, so I supressed the message.

Any ideas how to get rid of that message? I suppose I could get rid of the symbols and use a custom circle-with-a-number-in-it graphic in its place.

5-13-2013 2-19-33 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first steps are to either

a) make the font available to your system or

b) replace the offending characters with a font you have access to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As any harmonium-loving copyist could tell you  … circled numbers are available in (many) Unicode fonts, starting at with â‘  at U+2460. I too had problems with MS Shell Dlg before I worked out how to use the character pallette.  N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM maybe updating cross-references, text insets, system variables (some are time-stamped with the last file open) or other items behind the scenes activities, so the document gets flagged as "dirty". FM is just asking if you want to save it with this revised information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A usual suspect:
If you are using variable Current Date (Long or Short) anywhere in the document, such as headers/footers, then the document is in fact being changed every time you open it, and causes this behavior. Changing it to Modification Date fixes that ...

... but can result in book components having different dates if you regenerate the output without doing an Update Book. We've opted to use Current Date in our footers, and put up with the nuisance Unsaved Changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2013 Jun 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Deleting the C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\ directory solved my problem. Our company uses a mirrored network dirve for our My Documents folder and the latency involved in this seems to cause many different problems. One of which is system instability and corrupted files.

This simple solution may not permanently solve my issue, but it does fix it, so that the FM files are no longer identified as MIF when they aren't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines