• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker 9 glitching forces me to restart frequently and interrupts my workflow

May 13, 2013 May 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been running into this problem off and on for a while. I've seen this across multiple laptops, Windows XP and Windows 7. I don't use FrameMaker in structured mode. Basically, I will be working on files in framemaker 9 from anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or two and suddenly the text I am working on will glitch and usually change to a weird or distorted looking font and then when I scroll the page at all, all the text on the page glitches and the row that was at the edge of the screen will just repeat over and over as I scroll. I then have to quit. The save dialogs and any warning messages that come up don't actually display, but I can still save and/or hit escape to close out the dialogs and close the program. Then, once I reopen framemaker and the file I was working on, it will look normal and frame will behave for as long as it feels like until it decides to stop working again. I've tried multiple times using the "repair installation" option in the install dvd. I have no idea what the problem is as there doesn't seem to be any particular thing I do to cause this. I'm not sure of this is a problem with my frame installation, if my .fm files are corrupted, or what the problem is but at the moment I dont' seem to be getting more than 5-10 minutes of stability before I have to restart. Has anyone encountered something like this before? Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Edmund

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2013 May 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> ... and suddenly the text I am working on will glitch and usually change to ...

What happens when you do a screen refresh (Control+L)?

> ... dont' seem to be getting more than 5-10 minutes of stability ...

What are your screen-saver and power management settings?

What is your FM auto-save setting?

Are the document files local or networked?

The usual suspect for what you describe is a graphics driver bug, but not if it's happening on multiple disparate platforms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 17, 2013 May 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, here are my answers to your questions:

> ... and suddenly the text I am working on will glitch and usually change to ...

What happens when you do a screen refresh (Control+L)?

--Nothing happens

> ... dont' seem to be getting more than 5-10 minutes of stability ...

What are your screen-saver and power management settings?

--Plugged in (which is how I am using it)

dim the display: 5 minutes

turn off the display: 10 minutes

Put the computer to sleep: never

I don't have a screen saver on

What is your FM auto-save setting?

---I don't have Automatic Save enabled, just the automatic backup on save option

Are the document files local or networked?

---The document files are local.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you all patched up in FM9? I seem to remember that there were at least 2 patches issued - you need to load them sequentially because they aren't cumulative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe there were 4 patches (or at least I have readme files for patches 1-4 in my installation directory.) I installed them using adobe updater so I'm assuming they were sequential. I'm running Version 9.0p255

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2013 May 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to be up to date - I think I remember someone having something similar occur a couple of years ago that had something to do with some program that was loaded on their machine - but I can't remember what it was or what they were advised to do by Adobe Support. Personally, I would be moving up to FM11 because there are a bunch of fixes & improvements made since FM9. Why not try out a trial copy on a non-production machine to see if you get any relief?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2013 Oct 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This description of FrameMaker's behaviour reminds me of the GDI-Leak.

FrameMaker 8, FrameMaker 9, FrameMaker 10 and FrameMaker 11 allocate GDI-objects from the Operating system (like other programs) but the FrameMaker programs do not release all of them after use.

The number of GDI-objects assigned to a process is limited by the operating system. The default limit is 10000 for Win XP and Windows 7.

If FrameMaker reaches this limit it stopps working correctly, especially the display becomes awful, finally it crashes.

You can check whether my assumption is right, if you observe the number of GDI-objects allocated by FrameMaker.

To do so open the Task Manager and include the column "GDI-Objects" in the process list.

Do your work in FrameMaker and look at the Task Manager to see the number of GDI-objects used by FrameMaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried it out of curiosity, but could find no way to add a column to the

process list in Task Manager (Windows 7).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mike – try View > Options > Select Columns ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, son of a gun. View> Options> Select Columns is there now, but I

swear it was missing from the menu when I looked earlier. It was either

a glitch or bad eyesight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines